Review by Sunnyroyish -- Pancake Money by Finn Bell

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Review by Sunnyroyish -- Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Sunnyroyish »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Pancake Money" by Finn Bell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Pancake Money is an astounding story of serial killings written by Finn Bell. This is a story that comprises mystery, psychology, oppression, friendship and many more things that can't be totally expressed through my short review.

The book starts off with the painful and sad demise of one of the most important characters in the story. Pollo and Bobby Ress are two brave police officers who are investigating a serial killer mystery. At first, they encountered the murder of a local priest called Aldo Mucci. But the murderer didn't stop there. He/She continued to kill more people and ended up killing three priests. But the police including Bobby and Pollo was clueless as the murderer had always succeeded in killing the priests without leaving any evidence. After the murder of Pollo in a gunfight, Bobby embarked on the path to avenge his partner's death. Luckily, he was able to meet the head of a tribal gang called Manga Kahu who promised him to hand over the murderer of Pollo. Meanwhile, another murder had happened, and Bobby deduced that it was the same killer who had killed the priests and his beloved partner. In the end, Bobby found this man, but the story surprises the reader at the very end by exposing the real killer.

The story is great without a shadow of a doubt. The book has a very realistic storyline. The characters such as Pollo, Bobby, Bowldy were very well-written. Also, the murder scenes were very explicit in their description. The plot is written in a way that the reader can also take part in solving the murder mysteries. I mostly liked how the book discussed the negative impacts of colonization on the tribal people. The tribal people called the Maori's were oppressed by the Europeans. Though the names and stories are made up, the problems of colonization are very much real in our world. The book discusses a lot about Forensic Psychology. It sheds light on the mind of a serial killer and shows us how trauma and pain can lead a man into the wrong path. It also explains how vengeance can be self-destructive and turn people into monsters.

I was unable to find any loopholes in the story. The murder scenes in the story were really brutal, but I found them okay. Though it can be too much for someone else. I rarely found any grammatical or spelling mistakes in the book. Since the conversations between the characters in the book were in the colloquial language, the grammatical mistakes are not questionable.

Impressed by the rich storyline and strong character development, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I didn't give it a 3 or 2 because there were no grammatical or spelling mistakes and the story was able to surprise me at the very end. I would recommend this book to someone who loves Crime, Mystery, and Thriller. I would not recommend this book to someone who doesn't like to read about traumatic events. Also, there is some sexual content in the book. So kids should stay away from this book.

Pancake Money
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sunnyroyish's review? Post a comment saying so!
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Im drawn to this book when I read this part on your review, "...vengeance can be self-destructive and turn people into monsters."

Colonization is still traumatic in some parts of my country. However, I can't deny some good things that happened during the colonization of my country such as the abolition of slavery, political matters and so on. This is why I affirmed to this saying "everything happens for a reason."

Thank you for your detailed review of this book.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Sunnyroyish

Post by Sunnyroyish »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 16 Aug 2018, 01:34 Im drawn to this book when I read this part on your review, "...vengeance can be self-destructive and turn people into monsters."

Colonization is still traumatic in some parts of my country. However, I can't deny some good things that happened during the colonization of my country such as the abolition of slavery, political matters and so on. This is why I affirmed to this saying "everything happens for a reason."

Thank you for your detailed review of this book.
Yes there are many positive effect of colonization. Britishers ruled India for almost 200 years. Yes there were some reforms in our country also. But mostly colonization destroyed the heritage of India and our Economy. They also murdered our people brutally.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Thank you for your usual brilliant review. This is indeed a very intriguing story, however, I am not a big fan of stories with a lot of killings. I do agree with the author that vengeance can turn anyone into a monster.
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

Review well written. As per your review Pancake Money sounds like a great read and I must give it a try. Keep up the good work!
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
Sunnyroyish

Post by Sunnyroyish »

Kister Bless wrote: 17 Aug 2018, 07:39 Review well written. As per your review Pancake Money sounds like a great read and I must give it a try. Keep up the good work!
Thanks for your kind words. I would also love to read your upcoming review.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I like mystery thrillers that keep me guessing to the last minute. I hate when one of the main characters dies in a story, but it seems the author used this trauma to make the storyline stronger. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Sunnyroyish

Post by Sunnyroyish »

Cotwani wrote: 23 Aug 2018, 09:15 I like mystery thrillers that keep me guessing to the last minute. I hate when one of the main characters dies in a story, but it seems the author used this trauma to make the storyline stronger. Great review!
Thanks for your reply.
mwandiki
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwandiki.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by mwandiki »

Your trademark excellence as a thorough, honest and professional book reviewer comes out well here in this review. Keep it up Sunnyroyish.
Sunnyroyish

Post by Sunnyroyish »

mwandiki wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 21:54 Your trademark excellence as a thorough, honest and professional book reviewer comes out well here in this review. Keep it up Sunnyroyish.
Thank you for your reply.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

A very well-written and insightful review! I also read and reviewed this book, my take on the book were in fact very similar to yours. I cannot agree more that the author showed us the effects of pain on human psyche to a good extent. Bobby's reaction alone can prove the destructive nature of pain and vengeance. The downside of colonization and associated problems are very good points that you covered in your review! Great job indeed!
I would be glad if you could take the time out to read my review of the same book and give your valued opinion. Thank you!
Sunnyroyish

Post by Sunnyroyish »

Shrabastee wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 07:31 A very well-written and insightful review! I also read and reviewed this book, my take on the book were in fact very similar to yours. I cannot agree more that the author showed us the effects of pain on human psyche to a good extent. Bobby's reaction alone can prove the destructive nature of pain and vengeance. The downside of colonization and associated problems are very good points that you covered in your review! Great job indeed!
I would be glad if you could take the time out to read my review of the same book and give your valued opinion. Thank you!
Thank you for your kind words. I would definitely read your review.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

We all have unique circumstances that affect our thoughts, words, perspectives, choices, decisions and actions. However, life could be tougher for some. As we would never be able to fully know what really goes on in a person's life, kindness, understanding and respect could really make a difference. Wrong deeds or infractions have corresponding repercussions as could be necessary, but I won't give up on the person. Thank you for your well-written and thought-provoking review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

I am not a big fan of murder mystery stories, especially if the story has a serial killer. I am glad you enjoyed reading the book. Great review.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

The book has several good aspects according to your review. I like that the characters of Pollo and Bobby were well developed and that the plot was written in a way to let the reader try and solve the murder mysteries. It was also good to hear that the ending surprised you. But alas, I am not sure about the bloody murders and sexual content as being something that I want to read.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”