What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
AnnaKathleen
Currently Reading: Kill Them All
Bookshelf Size: 1085
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annakathleen.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by AnnaKathleen »

I just finished Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor. I would give it 4 out of 5 stars. The story is interesting and when it begins to fall into stereotypical YA fantasy tropes, it becomes slightly self-aware and changes. My only complaint is the sometimes forced, not-quite-funny dialogue between best friends Karou and Zuze. Definitely worth checking out if you ave not read it yet, though.
"I became darkness, shadow and wind." - Sarah J. Maas A Court of Mist and Fury
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

The last book that I read was The Warramunga’s Aftermath of the War. I rated it 2 out of 4.
Chelsea N. Hackett
Christineegm
Favorite Book: And I Darken
Currently Reading: Love and Friendship
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christineegm.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Christineegm »

Just finished Now I Rise by Kiersten White the second book in the Conqueror’s Saga. 3/4 Stars. It is a great series so far
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I read Neil Gaiman's Preludes and Nocturnes. I loved a lot about it. The Sandman is an awesome character, and I enjoyed the story. However, I disliked some things about it, mainly just due to personal preference, and rated it between 2 and 2 and 1/2 out of 4.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

So 2 1/4 then? :eusa-think:
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

A Piece Of The World by Christina Baker Kline. It's a wonderful book in very strange way. I give it 4 out of 4 stars.
maha_786
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by maha_786 »

I read ghost house by Alexandra Adornetto and must I say it was incredible,The author made it feel so realistic and the ending left you thinking that you just began the book :D :techie-studyingbrown:
sam_jennifer_may
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-jennifer-may.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by sam_jennifer_may »

I just finished reading ‘We Were Liars’ by Emily Jenkins. It was incredible. The plot is interesting and keeps you guessing from start to finish. You may shed a tear but it’s worth it I promise. 9/10.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

There was much to love in The Detour by Gerbrand Bakker, a deceptively simple, moving and powerfully effective short novel.

A Dutch woman leaves her home and her university job, allegedly after being discovered in an affair with a younger student, and moves to an isolated farmhouse in wales at the foot of Mount Snowdon.

She is there to escape from her life, to immerse herself in the works of her favourite poet, Emily Dickinson, and the solitude of country life. But it soon becomes apparent she is escaping form more than her job and her marriage - she is ill.

After a short time alone, a young man, Bradwen Jones and his dog, Sam seemingly on a hiking trip, arrive unexpectedly at the property, and decide to stay. The Dutch woman tells the young man her name is Emilie, but he understands this is a convenient lie.

The relationship between 'Emilie' and Bradwen is unusual, and a reluctant friendship develops slowly. He cooks, gardens, shops and keeps her company, but she converses with him sparsely and reveals very little of herself to him.

As her unnamed illness progresses, and the pain becomes more constant and severe, Bradwen remains steadfast and supportive.

The narrative reverts from time to time to that of the husband, his relationship with a policeman who arrested him, his accidental discovery of her illness and his attempts to find her.

The key to this novel is the beautiful sparse writing, tender and evocative, so brilliant and engaging in its disarming simplicity. The story is a very sad one, and yet it is always engrossing and captivating. I really found it hard to put this book down, yearning for the woman's secrets to be tantalisingly revealed, although many remained unknown.

It is a novel that is going to stay with me for some time, pondering the life and motivations of the resolute Dutch woman we knew only as Emilie until the final few pages.

4.5 stars out of 5.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Connie2018
Favorite Book: precious gifts
Currently Reading: And Never Let Her Go
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Connie2018 »

I finished reading, And Never Let Her Go, by Anne Rule.
My thoughts on the book, are, its a good story, although personally, it is too detailed and has a lot of trails that are off the subject.
I would give it a 2.
Thank you
Connie2018
juliamenez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliamenez.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by juliamenez »

World, Incorporated. 4/4 stars.
klwoodford
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klwoodford.html
Latest Review: Pembrim by Bree Lenehan

Post by klwoodford »

Pembrim by Bree Lenehan. 4/4

I really enjoyed this novel. Technically it's considered young adult fantasy but I feel that it is suitable for an adult demographic as well. She creates such colorful and vivid imagery, and the story has very good lessons woven in.
Taekwondoqueen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taekwondoqueen.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Taekwondoqueen »

Technically, I just finished a series called The Hatching, but all of the books in it were incredible! I think that it deserves 10/5 stars! Best series ever!
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

The Life and Lessons of a Young Author by Sunayna Prasad. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.
Emi_Review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emi-review.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Emi_Review »

The Book of Tomorrow - Cecelia Ahern

3/5

Overall, an interesting plot, was easy and quick to read but had some disappointments such as pacing. Was slow at the beginning and felt rushed at the end, or rather unanswered. The main plot of the book had a magic premise but I didn't feel I had enough of that in the book to really justify it fitting in with the otherwise realistic setting. The protagonist wasn't my favourite, although other characters in the book made up for that. Ahern writes beautifully and did manage to keep me interested to read till the end. I would say it is definitely down to the individual reader and their own personal tastes as to decide whether you'll like this book.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”