Review by Cjgarland89 -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cjgarland89
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjgarland89.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Review by Cjgarland89 -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Cjgarland89 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There are numerous children's books in print today, and each one has a new way to make reading fun for children. This book is no exception. Toni the Superhero by R.D Base is a fun read that doesn't necessarily center around the typical superhero activities. Toni simply does everyday things, and shows that these things can be "super" as well. Toni does everyday things like helping his mom, dancing, swimming and more. These are things that most children can identify with, therefore it is easy to connect with the character.

When children are learning to read it is important that they can connect with the characters in order to understand what is going on and learn some type of lesson from the book. The formatting of the book is perfect for this. There are lots of colorful and detailed pictures to follow, but it is not so overwhelming that it's distracting. The short paragraphs in the book that describe what is happening, aren't too advanced, therefore the youngest and maybe less experienced readers can still enjoy the book without being unable to understand what is going on.

The thing I enjoyed most about this book was that the children portrayed was not only a superhero, but he was also a boy who just wanted to do normal things, but still make them heroic. When I read this book, I re-read it with both of my children, 10 and 6 and they both enjoyed it a great deal. Toni teaches children significant values in how children can help at home, and no matter who you are, it is important to contribute to your house, even in the smallest ways. I always enjoy seeing books that can take someone that is supposed to be a superhero, but can humanize them in what seems like a small way, but it really magnifies that even superheroes have to do normal things too.

When reading children's books for reviews, it can be difficult to take into consideration the viewpoint of a child. Therefore in reviewing children's books I always ask my children their opinions on the book as well. My 6 year old daughter loved the pictures, and thought Toni was a really fun kid to get to know, and she wanted to read the book over and over. My 10 year old son loved the book too, he said it was cool that Toni didn't have to save the day like a regular superhero book.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because of the wonderful artwork and the easy to read format of the pages. The book was error free and had a easy flow of reading. The pictures were bold, colorful and detailed. I would recommend this book for any child, just beginning, or well versed in reading to enjoy.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves | on Smashwords

Like Cjgarland89's review? Post a comment saying so!
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa »

I love the way you incorporated your children to get a better perspective of how kids viewed the book. Children are the target audience, so getting their feedback is pretty important. Their positive acceptance of the book validates the author's work, which is a good thing. Kudos on your review!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

It is amazing that for Toni, it is not a matter of doing what is supernatural as portrayed in many works of art such as films for one to be a superhero. This can be a good lesson for children indeed. Thanks for the review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”