Review by lolo0891 -- Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lolo0891
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolo0891.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Review by lolo0891 -- Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by lolo0891 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Heartaches by H.M. Irwing is a book about a military man named Rafe and a young woman named Anna. They have both seen hard times of such similarity. They discover a lot more than kindred spirits when they find each other. Rafe is a man who has scars that got deep and has demons that want to reopen them. Anna is a woman who feels defeated until she finds a strength that she could have never found alone. Together they seem to be unbeatable, but the world seems to be trying extremely hard to do just that.

In the beginning of this book you learn a lot of the demons from the Hero and Heroine’s lives. I personally though that there was too much information given in the very beginning, that is until I made to the end. It was enough information to where you form predictions about how the plot of the story is going to go, and then you are left with nothing but a huge cliffhanger and even more questions. It was a very tactful cliffhanger that makes you want to read the next book, not only to figure out what happens, but to also figure out if the predictions that you originally made are correct.

I find books that keep you guessing to be the best kind. I have never been a fan of predictability when it comes to books. I would much rather have a book with so many plot twists that you actually have to pay attention to the book to know what is going on. This is one of those books. There was just the right amount of predictability and twists. I am looking forward to finding out what happens to Rafe and Anna on there journey to put the demons from their pasts to rest.

I honestly don’t think that I would change anything other than how little the relationship between Anna and her mother is portrayed in the book, and I feel that Pat should play a bigger role as well. It is evident that Anna loves her mother, but they don’t really talk in the book. I personally feel as that is a good opportunity to show the feelings and thoughts towards Rafe a little more. I feel that Pat deserves a bigger role because he plays a significant role in Anna’s life, but we haven’t really been let in on who Pat really is.

Over all, I give this book a 3 out of 4 stars. It was extremely well thought out and written, with very few grammatical errors if any. This is definitely a book that I could see myself rereading and suggesting to a friend or relative to read. I’m looking forward to see what else this author has in store for Rafe and Anna, as well as any future characters they choose to write about.

Heartaches
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like lolo0891's review? Post a comment saying so!
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa »

Thanks lolo0891 for your review! You've done an excellent job unpacking the book, and totally succeeded in picking my curiosity on so many things. I couldn't help wondering what the demons were that hauntd Anna and Raffe, whether they succeeded in quenching the demos forever and whether they found "happily everafter". Kudos!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”