Official Review: Prayer is Good: A Path from Grief to Peace

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Official Review: Prayer is Good: A Path from Grief to Peace

Post by Kendra M Parker »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Prayer is Good: A Path from Grief to Peace" by Brette Petway.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Light, hope, peace, and comfort are just some of the foundational words Brette Petway uses to teach her readers about prayer and journaling in her book Prayer is Good: A Path from Grief to Peace. In each chapter of this 12 chapter book, Petway chooses a word and helps readers create a meditative space using Bible verses, colors, candles, flowers, essential oils, incense, and tea. Petway discusses how the word helped her on her own journey, and then she guides readers into prayer and meditation on that word. Coloring and journal pages at the end of each chapter give readers an opportunity to truly interact with the book.

I appreciate the vulnerability that the author shares throughout this book. Petway makes no apologies for her beliefs, and she shares clearly how her sister’s cancer diagnosis and passing impacted her life. As Petway struggled with her own emotions and processing her sister’s situation, she eventually came to a place where she discovered prayer and healing. By seeing how Petway was able to process her thoughts and emotions through prayer and journaling, I gained a better sense of how she intended for readers to use her book.

Another element that I love is the way that Petway encourages readers to make photocopies of the coloring sheets in the book. She wants readers to have multiple opportunities to work with the words and artwork that she provides. Not many artists that I have encountered are so willing to share their artwork in that way, and I found that very refreshing.

Petway claims Christianity as the basis of her faith, and she clearly approaches prayer and meditation as a method of communing with God. That said, she does not focus so much on her relationship with God in this book. Instead, she focuses more on how she uses prayer as an opportunity to process strong emotions and feelings. Even though she uses Bible verses, I did not feel that her book was overly religious. While Christians may find this book the most beneficial, I did not feel that the book limited itself to Christians. Anyone seeking healing through meditation and prayer could potentially use this book.

I give this book a resounding 4 out of 4 stars. It was well edited and easy to read. Petway clearly explains her points and provides plenty of encouragement to her readers. Her concise words and her own emotional journey offer plenty of wisdom to readers.

Prayer is Good: A Path from Grief to Peace
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kendra M Parker's review? Post a comment saying so!
Mee_maw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mee-maw.html
Latest Review: Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders by Brian E. Forschner

Post by Mee_maw »

I can't wait to read this book.
Manaka
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manaka.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Manaka »

I can't wait to read the book. Thanks for a good review. I am Imprest, the author puts the interest of the readers before hers, by encouraging readers to photocopy the coloring sheets provided in the book to work with, that is great love and obedience to God's instructions about the gift of healing, we have received it for free, we should give it for free.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

Thanks for a lovely and insightful review. I lost a close family member last year and I am still struggling to recover from that pain. I think this book might help me so I will be checking it out! Cheers!
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

Mee_maw wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 01:39 I can't wait to read this book.
I think you’re going to love it. It was a great, easy read, and I felt that there was so much the author could share to help others.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

Manaka wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 09:31 I can't wait to read the book. Thanks for a good review. I am Imprest, the author puts the interest of the readers before hers, by encouraging readers to photocopy the coloring sheets provided in the book to work with, that is great love and obedience to God's instructions about the gift of healing, we have received it for free, we should give it for free.
I completely agree with you on being impressed by the way the author shares her gifts. It really stuck out to me that she was so very generous with that gift, and I hope many others will appreciate it just as much as I did.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

CambaReviewer wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 11:41 Thanks for a lovely and insightful review. I lost a close family member last year and I am still struggling to recover from that pain. I think this book might help me so I will be checking it out! Cheers!
I hope this book helps you on your path to healing. The author shares her own journey with great vulnerability, and I hope that will inspire and help you along yours.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Kendra M Parker wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 07:52 Petway claims Christianity as the basis of her faith, and she clearly approaches prayer and meditation as a method of communing with God. That said, she does not focus so much on her relationship with God in this book. Instead, she focuses more on how she uses prayer as an opportunity to process strong emotions and feelings. Even though she uses Bible verses, I did not feel that her book was overly religious. While Christians may find this book the most beneficial, I did not feel that the book limited itself to Christians. Anyone seeking healing through meditation and prayer could potentially use this book.
I really enjoyed reading your review. I feel like I have a good sense of this book. I like that it sounds like there is no agenda but rather an authentic desire to help others through devotion to prayer and meditation. Thanks for the well-done review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds very interesting. I've never tried any kind of prayer journaling like this. It sounds like something I need in my life. Perhaps this could help keep your prayer life from becoming stilted. Thanks so much.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

It is refreshing that she wants you to share her work with everyone. In a world governed by how much money we can make off, well, everything - this is a nice change. It makes the author automatically likeable, and in a book like this, that's definitely a positive.
Great review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

Eva Darrington wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 12:13
Kendra M Parker wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 07:52 Petway claims Christianity as the basis of her faith, and she clearly approaches prayer and meditation as a method of communing with God. That said, she does not focus so much on her relationship with God in this book. Instead, she focuses more on how she uses prayer as an opportunity to process strong emotions and feelings. Even though she uses Bible verses, I did not feel that her book was overly religious. While Christians may find this book the most beneficial, I did not feel that the book limited itself to Christians. Anyone seeking healing through meditation and prayer could potentially use this book.
I really enjoyed reading your review. I feel like I have a good sense of this book. I like that it sounds like there is no agenda but rather an authentic desire to help others through devotion to prayer and meditation. Thanks for the well-done review.
I’m so glad that I was about to convey my impressions of this book well to others. I really do think that this author genuinely wants to help people. It seems like this is really more of an outpouring of her website in a form that can be helpful to others.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

kandscreeley wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 17:46 This sounds very interesting. I've never tried any kind of prayer journaling like this. It sounds like something I need in my life. Perhaps this could help keep your prayer life from becoming stilted. Thanks so much.
I think that this would be a great resource for poeple looking for a way to re-energize their prayer life. I have done prayer journaling in the past, but never in quite this way, so that was a unique way to look at this book. It was beautifully presented and a pleasure to read.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

Bianka Walter wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 01:28 It is refreshing that she wants you to share her work with everyone. In a world governed by how much money we can make off, well, everything - this is a nice change. It makes the author automatically likeable, and in a book like this, that's definitely a positive.
Great review :)
Thanks for the compliments. The author made it really easy to read and enjoy this book. I hope plenty of people will enjoy this book as well.
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

What a nice way to draw people closer to inner peace by using various means of meditation, scripture, journaling and coloring pages. While reading your review, I was thinking that this would be such a great gift to someone who is going through a hard time whether divorce, death..any type of tragedy that would require emotional healing. Sounds so good! Thank you for this review.
Everything happens for a reason...
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

This sounds like a wonderful book for someone who has suffered a loss. It has comforting messages and through the pictures and coloring opportunities, it offers a peaceful activity for the bereaved. Being able to journal is also a good thing for those that are able to. I thoroughly enjoyed this thoughtful review and felt that all the essential elements of this book had been bought out fully and clearly.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”