Official Review: A Twisted Fate: by Brenda Currey Lewis

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Official Review: A Twisted Fate: by Brenda Currey Lewis

Post by Kalin Adi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Twisted Fate:" by Brenda Currey Lewis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

One of the most expected seasons for many of us is summer. We think of beaches, car rides, late nights outside, going to the pool, boating, fireworks, etc. Nonetheless, for Brenda Currey Lewis, the summer of 1974 didn’t bring a cool breeze under the hot sun. She was diagnosed with dystonia which is a bizarre neurological movement disorder that causes a muscle, a group of muscles or all the muscles to twist and tug the body adopting awkward positions. A Twisted Fate: My Life with Dystonia is her story.

I had no idea what dystonia was. When I read the synopsis of the book, I found myself quite intrigued and wanted to learn what this neurological invader could do to people. By all means, this book has been more than an eye-opener in this matter. I’ve learned not only about Brenda’s personal struggles and her ups and down battling with this belligerent enemy but also about the different types of dystonia that exist so far. The fact is that Brenda took up the mammoth task to investigate about this disorder, its characteristics, and possible causes. She includes her research and observations very smoothly throughout her narration, and she dedicates the last chapter of her book to briefly provide more information if the reader wants to delve into them a bit more.

In her book, Brenda relates her story since day 1 when she was born. Her story is very easy to follow since it’s written in a chronological order most of the time. She recounts her early years in life and how those were no different from any other child. Her life is so vividly depicted in the book that I thought I was watching a movie while reading it. I also loved the cute pictures she shared showing some of her epic moments in life. Too bad the pictures were black and white, even the most recent one.

What I loved the most in this book was Brenda’s honesty. Her words touched my heart deeply, especially when she said she does not blame God for her condition, yet she still has many unanswered questions. She expresses how she felt when she was diagnosed, how this affected herself and her family, and how others viewed her. Allow me to share with you a piece of her mind: “People’s perceptions change when they see an individual who has anything more than a simple limp. It seemed to me that intelligence, hearing, and other abilities are also questioned.” I totally agree with that statement.

Whether you are looking for a story to learn about dedication, perseverance, selfless love, genuine caring for others, or you like nonfiction stories, or you want to enhance your knowledge about dystonia, I truly recommend you to read this book. You will absolutely take delight in reading it. Even though there are some missing commas and words, the story is beautifully written. It brings up questions such as: Is the government really helping disabled people to the fullest? How do I treat people that have an impairment? Can I help them? How?

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I would rate it 3.5 if I could because of the missing commas and words and a strange order in chapter 28, but the system does not allow me to do so. However, I do not consider it deserves a 3, for it would be underrated. I honestly think this book accomplishes the objective why it was written, which was to create awareness about dystonia, to help spread the word so more research could be done in order to find better treatments and/or a cure in the future. Kudos to Brenda!

A Twisted Fate:
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kalin Adi's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Sounds like an eye-opening read. I will add it to my reading list. Thanks for the authentic and lovely review.
Kalin Adi

Post by Kalin Adi »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 04:18 Sounds like an eye-opening read. I will add it to my reading list. Thanks for the authentic and lovely review.
It truly was an eye-opening read. The author did a superb job narrating her story. After you read it, please spread the word about this disorder to other people to help her to create awareness.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

Thanks for your intriguing review. The book seems educational on how to live a happy life spreading love and care.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I wasn't familiar with dystonia before reading your review. Thanks for the enlightening review.
Zvjezdana Sever
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zvjezdana-sever.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Zvjezdana Sever »

From your review, it seems that she may have a genetic dystonia, whereas there are many other diseases that can cause dystonia. It is a common condition in the stroke, Parkinson and other neurological disorders that affect muscle-contracting center in a brain. I am intrigued by your nice review and the empathy that this book seems to arise. I would love to read this book.
Jmosher0206
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmosher0206.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Jmosher0206 »

This review makes me want to read A Twisted Fate. I too have suffered from severe health issues that had no cures. I have since regained much of my health. The mention of other peoples’ treatment of illness and lack of understanding really resonates with me. I will definitely add this book to my reading list.

Thank you!
Kalin Adi

Post by Kalin Adi »

@Rosemary Khathibe
The book is more about Brenda's life dealing with dystonia. Thanks for commenting.

@Cecilia_L
As I said in my review, I wasn't familiar with this disorder either. This book has enriched my knowledge about dystonia and how anyone can help people who suffer from it.

@Zvjezdana Sever
As you mentioned, there are various situations that can cause dystonia, even drugs. I learned that in this book. Read it. You'll love it for sure.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Battling dystonia sounds like a really traumatic journey for Brenda. I admire her courage and faith in God. She didn't blame her Maker, she only wanted some answers. Thank you for your fantastic review.
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

This sounds like a really interesting autobiography. I had no idea what dystonia was. This sounds like a very informative read though. Thank you for the review!
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
Kalin Adi

Post by Kalin Adi »

@Jmosher0206
Since you've suffered of non-curable health problem, you can relate deeper with Brenda's case. In fact, you can gain some tips as well. I certainly did.

@crediblereading2
Indeed, Brenda's courage is extraordinary. Honestly, I felt courageous after I read this book.

@Eryn Bradshaw
The book is both informative and motivational. Thanks for commenting.
Felicidad
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Felicidad »

This review is really interesting.
This is the first time that I hear that word "Dystonia". It is a great review and it motivates people to read it.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I have a good friend whose husband has dystonia. While not as horrifying as the dreaded "C," it is close. I feel for Brenda and those similarly afflicted. I am awed that she has a positive attitude despite her situation; shame on me.

She has been battling the disease for over 40 years now; I pray she is doing well.

Thanks for the touching review, amiga!
Kalin Adi

Post by Kalin Adi »

@Felicidad
I'm glad to know I wasn't the first one who hadn't heard the word dystonia. I recommend you to read the book and learn more how this disorder affects the victims.

@Miriam Molina
I was very impressed as well with Brenda's attitude. She has good days and bad days, and very seldom, a melt down, but don't we have one once in a while? I really admire her endurance and positivism.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

It sounds an interesting book. I would like to read this one.This book is really an eye opening read regarding the neurological disease dystonia. Thanks for your detailed review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”