Is suicide a viable option for Agent Sliver?

Use this forum to discuss August 2018 book of the month "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Is suicide a viable option for Agent Sliver?

Post by Cristina Chifane »

A hitman for World, Inc., Agent Sliver hardly remembers his previous self. Once he decides to rescue Kelly and the Shredders, he slowly gets caught into a sweeping tide of emotions and feelings raging from remorse and despair to pure rage and hatred.

In his essay, The Myth of Sysiphus, Albert Camus saw suicide as the “one truly serious philosophical problem.”

Looking back at his years of murders, do you think suicide is a viable, if not the only option for Agent Sliver?
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

No I don't think so he should not think about suicide because suicide is not a viable option for Silver. Rather he should take stand in front of his responsibilities and should perform his duties by awareness.
Dusamae
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dusamae.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Dusamae »

No, suicide is never a viable option. He did commit a lot of murders, with mind control he really was unable to make a different choice until it began to wear off or he true self finally started coming through. There is always tomorrow, and he may be able to make a difference in the lives of others. Without the CEO things may be a little different, or not, but if suicide is the option he will never know what possible changes he has or will make.
msomigreat
Currently Reading: Abducted
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msomigreat.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by msomigreat »

Suicide has never been a viable option for anyone even when someone feels that that might be the only option. what is important is how well one can look for other alternative and better opportunities.
Alick Sandy
Muhammad1039
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Muhammad1039 »

No matter how, no matter what, no matter why, no matter when and no matter the situation suicide will never be a last option, it is better to wait for an impossible miracle than to commit suicide. 🙅
Michael Kevin
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-kevin.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Michael Kevin »

Suicide should always be the last option because if you have the courage to suicide, you will have that courage to continue your living.
Mary WhiteFace
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

SPOILER ALERT: If you haven't read the book yet, you may not want to read my comments. I needed to refer to specifics to justify my conclusion.💕

Suicide is the cowards' way out. Sliver was anything but a coward. He showed that numerous times, like when he saved the Shredders and Kelly. It even took courage to hide that his ship, Franklin, had 'awoken' and become self aware. He especially showed courage when he allowed Shawn Chase to live, for then he wasn't doing something that could be justified by "What they don't know won't hurt 'em."

When he didn't kill Chase he was going against direct indoctrination, not to mention direct orders. The killing had become so deeply ingrained in him, that by not killing he was going against what he believed was the right thing to do, his 'purpose' in life. It takes tremendous courage to go against everything you have been taught to believe is the one and only truth.

So, no, suicide was not a viable option for Sliver. There was no cowardice in him.
Daniella C

Post by Daniella C »

In as much as he's traumatized with he's past life. Nevertheless suicide can never be an option, it's only a coward abandons his or her fears because of guilt. He should rather stand up as man and face his responsibility.
sam_jennifer_may
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-jennifer-may.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by sam_jennifer_may »

I do not believe suicide is a viable option for Agent Silver. Whilst I think it may be his easiest option, as oppose to confronting his past actions and their consequences, I think it is important for people to own up to their mistakes and move on. Overcoming his past will make him a stronger individual. I think he should focus on the positive actions he has done in the present as oppose to the negative actions in the past.
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

Perhaps Agent Silver would be better off continuing to revolt against the mind control and embracing the freedom to choose his own path. Whether his choice entails making amends for the wrong he has done, or simply being his true self, isn't really important. What is important is that he is passionate about his chosen path, so that when he does die, even if he does not reach his ultimate goal, he can say that he at least tried and succeeded in some areas, when so much was against him.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Considering that Silver was taken from his home and reared up do what he has done, No, suicide is a viable option for him. Although he feels remorse, I don't think that he should take his life.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

No, I don’t think that suicide is truly a viable option for Agent Sliver, and I think that is represented with both the false and true endings for the book. Agent Sliver has far too much atonement to complete before he passes. Despite his feelings for everything, he could not take his own life, knowing that there were things he could legitimately do to provide true justice. Suicide would have simply been a way to escape from his problems rather than fixing them.
mcfeealexis
Currently Reading: #Nerd
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mcfeealexis.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by mcfeealexis »

I don’t think suicide is a viable option for agent Silver or anyone else but if he believes it is then he is too far gone. When someone thinks that the only way to countine living is to not then at that point we should accept their wishes because living a life they do not want is not the way to live either.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The fact that he was a murderer in the past does not warrant him to end his own life. I do not support that it was a viable option for him. It would be better if he would have looked for ways to improve other people's lives or protect them just as he saved Kelly.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Kendra M Parker wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 18:25 No, I don’t think that suicide is truly a viable option for Agent Sliver, and I think that is represented with both the false and true endings for the book. Agent Sliver has far too much atonement to complete before he passes. Despite his feelings for everything, he could not take his own life, knowing that there were things he could legitimately do to provide true justice. Suicide would have simply been a way to escape from his problems rather than fixing them.
This is incredible! Suicide would indeed have led him to escape his problems and not fix them. It is clear enough that suicide indeed would never have been a viable option.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Discuss "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo”