Review by oogies -- Illustrated Short Fiction of William...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
oogies
Currently Reading: A Tale of Two Cities
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oogies.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Review by oogies -- Illustrated Short Fiction of William...

Post by oogies »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles is a collection of short stories that touch on the best and the worst parts of human beings. William H. Coles paints-interesting characters that you will love and hate while travelling through the worlds he pulls you into. This book consists of thirty-three award-winning short stories, two graphic novels and a novella. Each story is unique and takes you on an unexpected journey.

William H. Coles have a way with words, these stories are eloquent and seamlessly takes you on a swift but unforgettable journey with enticing characters. Each story takes you through a range of different emotions, which ranges from elated to somber, enraged to disturbed. Just when you determined that you have grasped the story, you are taken on a ride that you did not expect. These stories leave you contemplating them long after you have put the book down. I found myself wanting to stop reading after a few lines in a few of the stories but found I was unable to, the lure of what came next kept me reading on until the finish.

I enjoyed a few of the stories more than others. All these stories are page-turners, but several of them disturbed me, this is due to the writer touching on some topics that we as human beings would rather not dwell on. I was frequently left in a melancholy daze for the rest of the day while every now and then I found myself philosophizing about life. You will find yourself working through a ton of different emotions as you explore these stories. I have found that to me this is a valuable occurrence as it lets you consider issues you do not usually venture to deliberate over.

I highly recommend this book to anyone that appreciates absorbing, well thought out and occasionally controversial stories. While you might not always like the content of the stories, the way, in which they were written keeps you turning pages as you find that you need to know what happens next. If you are sensitive to dark and frequently depressing themes I would not recommend some of these stories, but there are some of them like “The Gift” that is worth the read.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The book is enjoyable, the characters stay with you long after the story finishes, but these stories are dark and depressing, which might affect readers that are sensitive to these types of themes. I love this book and the stories despite some of the themes disturbing me, are amazing and lets you contemplate life, love, and the complexities around people and what makes them react in certain ways in the circumstances they find themselves in.

Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like oogies's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

Which story would you say is your favorite and which your least favorite?
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”