Review by Dusamae -- World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dusamae
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dusamae.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Review by Dusamae -- World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Dusamae »

[Following is a volunteer review of "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Agent Sliver hasn’t felt anything for years but now he feels, and the feeling is RAGE!

World, Incorporated: A Modern Dystopia has 288 pages. This is the first book by Tom Gariffo.

World, Incorporated: A Modern Dystopia is about Agent Sliver, the man who takes care of problems for World, Incorporated, one of the super corporations. If there is an attack or threat to World, Incorporated the CEO, Fellrock, assigns Sliver to the job. Things changed for him when he literally ran into Kelly, and now he has a target on his back, and after another attack, he is left with rage for the man who abducted him.

This book goes from past to present using news clips saved by Sliver. He also shares memories about being abducted by Multinational and being experimented on when he was in college. World, Incorporated rescued him from the experiments, known as a Reclamation: a secret brand of loyalty, he now works for them as a sort of hitman, but he is dependent on a serum to counter the effects of the experiments.

Agent Sliver goes to New Detroit where World, Incorporated is located. When he arrives at the office of the CEO, Fellrock, he is given an assignment and a box of serum. Sliver feels like Fellrock thinks he is a moron and lets him believe it because he thinks it is to his benefit. He doesn’t care much for Fellrock’s attitude but hides it well.

Sliver’s assignment is to neutralize a family causing problems when the place explodes he must run for his life. He literally runs into a woman and falls on top of her, knocking her unconscious. He contemplates what he should do with her and decides to take her with him, at least until she wakes up. So, he puts her in his airship, Chrome Wind. When she regains consciousness, he finds out the family he was sent to kill was her family. Sliver explains that her genetics should have been registered, but she has no idea what he is talking about nor does she know anything about the new world. Sliver tells his airship computer, Franklin to show her, Kelly, the clips of history he has saved so she will understand what happened with the fall of the economy and the rise of super corporations.

Since Kelly has been on his ship he has had a target on his back. He is attacked by a robot, and then he is caught in the middle of a corporation war while trying to complete an assignment. Now, he feels, and he knows RAGE. That rage leads him to discover more information about the super corporation CEO’s. He has been lied to and manipulated for years. He wants somebody to pay. Who will it be?

One of my favorite parts in the book was when Kelly was furious with him and she punched him a couple of times, as he was falling to the ground he vowed never to underestimate a farmgirl again.

Also, I loved the Weblog Entry dated September 11, 2041, where the blogger, Tom Anderson, wished everyone a “blessed Patriot Day” and asked each of them to remember those lost in service to America.

My rating for World, Incorporated is 4 out of 4 stars. The author brings the characters to life and the reader can care about them. I would recommend this book to people that love science fiction.

World, Incorporated
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Dusamae's review? Post a comment saying so!
funoloy872
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by funoloy872 »

Wow! It makes for good reading. I love sci-fi novels and I must say this is well written. No boring moment at all. Whenever I pick up a novel to read, I find myself lost in the book, as if I was part of the characters. I recommend this book for those that enjoy reading a good book.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

Since Sliver is a hitman with skills, it must be very interesting to see him get hit by a farm girl. Thanks for the insightful review.
Dusamae
Currently Reading:

Post by Dusamae »

Rosemary Khathibe wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 10:22 Since Sliver is a hitman with skills, it must be very interesting to see him get hit by a farm girl. Thanks for the insightful review.

Yes, it was funny. She was upset and it was understandable but I didn't expect her to hit him, repeatedly!
Dusamae
Currently Reading:

Post by Dusamae »

funoloy872 wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 00:55 Wow! It makes for good reading. I love sci-fi novels and I must say this is well written. No boring moment at all. Whenever I pick up a novel to read, I find myself lost in the book, as if I was part of the characters. I recommend this book for those that enjoy reading a good book.
I think the only parts for me that were a little slow was the news clips, but other than that it was an exciting read.
Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Nma26 »

What do you think about the language in this book? Was it coarse?
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

The 50+ pages of newspaper article were excruciating to read. No one should ever be subjected to that. For me the downside was even worse as I did not enjoy the actual story around the newspaper articles. Sliver would go to kill someone and you be subjected to pages and pages of discussion (or a sermon in one case before there was any action). For me the entire book was a chore and not worth the time. I appreciate your review but I would recommend reading instruction booklets before this book.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Your review made this book sounds to be futuristic. I'm amused at the part of Kelly the farmgirl who punched Sliver for multiple times.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Dusamae
Currently Reading:

Post by Dusamae »

Nma26 wrote: 24 Aug 2018, 06:43 What do you think about the language in this book? Was it coarse?
No, I didn't think it was coarse. Some things about books bother me but that is not one of them.
Dusamae
Currently Reading:

Post by Dusamae »

jcoad wrote: 24 Aug 2018, 07:24 The 50+ pages of newspaper article were excruciating to read. No one should ever be subjected to that. For me the downside was even worse as I did not enjoy the actual story around the newspaper articles. Sliver would go to kill someone and you be subjected to pages and pages of discussion (or a sermon in one case before there was any action). For me the entire book was a chore and not worth the time. I appreciate your review but I would recommend reading instruction booklets before this book.
I agree with you. I didn't like those parts, but after thinking about the book that seemed like a different way of telling what happened in the past. If it was a movie it may have been flashbacks. After getting past that part I really liked the book.
Thank you for your comment.
Dusamae
Currently Reading:

Post by Dusamae »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 22:50 Your review made this book sounds to be futuristic. I'm amused at the part of Kelly the farmgirl who punched Sliver for multiple times.
I thought the part where Kelly punched Sliver was funny and unexpected. I loved it.
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

Seeing the future through the eyes of this book, What do you think is in store for humanity?
Dusamae
Currently Reading:

Post by Dusamae »

C-Extra22 wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 09:42 Seeing the future through the eyes of this book, What do you think is in store for humanity?
It depends on people, if more of us are like Sliver then we would stand and fight the supercorporations If not then we would be doomed to live the life the supercorporations decided for us.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”