Review by Nmadinachi Egwim -- Toni the Superhero

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nmadinachi Egwim
Currently Reading: The Mysterious Schoolmaster
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmadinachi-egwim.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Review by Nmadinachi Egwim -- Toni the Superhero

Post by Nmadinachi Egwim »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It is no news that most children adore superheroes. And even better, a superhero who is like them! Toni the Superhero by R. D. Base is a simple, picture filled book that hammers that spot.

This easy read tells of a superhero kid, Toni, who is pictured carrying out regular, daily activities and relatable chores in and around his home. In simple sentences, we read of Toni doing essential things like eating and sleeping, akin to the average kid. He is also seen engaging in other tasks and household duties including sweeping, dusting and helping out in washing dishes; all the while apparently having fun. Toni even rescues pets! He is also not missing out on playtime with his friends; other regular children!

One wouldn't find it difficult to realize all the features of this book that qualifies it as one that children learning to read would reckon with. R. D. Base makes proficient use of simple words put together in short sentences to capture, without much effort, the interest of a child who has yet to learn words with more than two or three syllables. Added to that, the colorful, detailed illustrations by Debbie J. Hefke would assist kids in grasping the idea of a word by observing the particular activity in the artwork.

A first release in a series of similar books about Toni, this one does not tell of Toni saving the world or doing anything special with his superpowers. Notwithstanding, he identifies as a superhero as he is seen in a fitting costume complete with a cape in every picture. With this costume, he engages in normal kid chores and play activities. This presents Toni as a lovable character, as he makes children feel that they are able to relate to a superhero on that level. Or, more productively, it makes them view doing chores as an engagement that would make them feel like superheroes!

It is noteworthy that although Base did not make use of a usual plot with a progressive objective, she was still able to get her purpose across. Kids reading can enjoy following through with the different tasks Toni accomplishes, and at the same time employ the book as a tool to sharpen their beginner reading skills.

Putting all these into consideration, I conveniently rate Toni the Superhero 4 out of 4 stars. It fulfills all that it is supposed to in terms of being a book for early readers practicing reading independently. That being said, I recommend this read as an effective tool for anyone guiding a young child through the bumpy rides of early reading.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like Nmadinachi Egwim's review? Post a comment saying so!
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

This book sounds like something my little brother will enjoy! Thank you for the great review😁
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. I thoroughly enjoyed the book too.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Kmbfrd2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmbfrd2.html
Latest Review: A Bloody Book by Chris Bowen
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Kmbfrd2 »

Thank you for your review! It makes Toni sound like an enduring character. I believe I will read this book myself and possibly pass it on to my preschool aged superhero nephews!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”