Official Review: "In God We Trust," one man's s...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Official Review: "In God We Trust," one man's s...

Post by LivreAmour217 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of ""In God We Trust," one man's search for everlasting life" by Glen Aaron.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In God We Trust: One Man's Search for Eternal Life is a compilation of author Glen Aaron's research into the Abrahamic faiths (Judaism, Christianity, and Islam). Inspired initially by the death of a beloved pet, the author sought to find out what really happens when we die. Using a great number of academic resources and his own professional experience as a lawyer, the author presents his findings within this book.

Early into the book (on page thirty, to be exact), the author explains his method of searching for "proof by a preponderance of evidence" in favor of or against the existence of God and/or an afterlife. In simpler terms, he searched for tangible (historical and archaeological) evidence to back up the claims written in the holy books of the Abrahamic faiths. Regardless of one's personal religious beliefs, the author's findings are fascinating, and he includes a thorough bibliography for reference.

The writing within is to the standard that I would expect from a law school graduate, and contains only a few errors that appear to be typographical. The subject matter is detailed yet written in a manner that is easy to understand and free of tedium. The topic of religion can be controversial, and I admit that I disagreed with the author on more than a few points, but his presentation was engaging and I read through the book quickly.

Despite the author's thorough research and excellent presentation, I do have a few reservations about this book. In the last few chapters, the author leaves behind objectivity and goes on what I can only describe as a quasi-political rant. He puts his social and political biases on full display and veers sharply into the realm of conspiracy with some eyebrow-raising claims. Additionally, his tone took on an air of self-righteousness that was quite irksome. Personally, I believe that these chapters would best be omitted, especially since the author admitted that traditional publishers balked at the idea of this additional subject matter.

But despite the inclusion of the questionable material at the end, this book is a pretty solid presentation of one man's research-based conclusions, and I award it 3 out of 4 stars. The author tackles a controversial subject, and most readers will either love or hate this book based upon their personal beliefs. Readers who consider themselves to be religious or spiritual will likely not enjoy the author's conclusions, while those are less so may not mind them. Either way, I would advise readers to approach this book with an open mind.

"In God We Trust," one man's search for everlasting life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LivreAmour217's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This can be a very polarizing topic, and I agree that readers will either love or hate it. Thanks for your honest review.
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Polarizing is the perfect word to describe this topic! Thanks for reading my review!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, I have a firm belief in what happens when we die, so I don't think I need this book. Add to that the political rant near the end of the book, and I'm definitely going to pass. It also sounds a bit more technical than I would enjoy. Thanks for this review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I know that there is a Supreme being and we have to answer to him when we die. Thank you for your honest review.
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

kandscreeley wrote: 08 Aug 2018, 10:20 Well, I have a firm belief in what happens when we die, so I don't think I need this book. Add to that the political rant near the end of the book, and I'm definitely going to pass. It also sounds a bit more technical than I would enjoy. Thanks for this review.

I also hold firm beliefs about the afterlife, but the book’s description was interesting, and I do enjoy history. Thank you for taking the time to read my review!
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

crediblereading2 wrote: 08 Aug 2018, 23:39 I know that there is a Supreme being and we have to answer to him when we die. Thank you for your honest review.
I feel the same way. Thank you for reading this review!
Manaka
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manaka.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Manaka »

I agree some topics can be controversial, going through the review makes me believe that there is something new to learn from reading such a book. The book seems good, I wish to read it to get firsthand experiences, researches and findings of the author. Thanks.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I know what I believe, but it is interesting to read other views. I like the fact that he looked at multiple religions.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”