Official Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Re: Official Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Post by Abigail R »

This sounds like an intriguing read with interesting theories. I was first interested in the title itself. Thanks for the review!
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

abigailray1013 wrote: 06 Aug 2018, 19:55 This sounds like an intriguing read with interesting theories. I was first interested in the title itself. Thanks for the review!
Yes, it really is a compelling experience to see a solid comparative analysis applied to this story. Thanks so much for stopping by.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

AmySmiles wrote: 06 Aug 2018, 15:29 Interesting, I like reading different perspectives. I'm going to have to look into this a little further. Thanks for the review.
Yes, I find the comparative analysis of different religious texts fascinating. This author does a good job. Thanks so much for dropping by.
-Nayyirah Waheed
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I am sure this is a fascinating book, even if it reads as a Gnostic apologetic. I doubt a little that biblical scholars immersed in the knowledge of Ancient Eastern culture rejected the book of Judas because they misunderstood it. But that is, in large part, what faith is about. We decide what we do and do not believe. In the more recent years, there has definitely been a resurgence in the Gnostic version of Christianity. (Truly, many Christians beliefs more resemble Gnosticism than Orthodoxy.) I am glad you enjoyed this book and sorry for geeking out a little bit in my reply! (I love this kind of discussion but have decided opinions :shock2: )
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Kat Berg wrote: 08 Aug 2018, 14:30 I am sure this is a fascinating book, even if it reads as a Gnostic apologetic. I doubt a little that biblical scholars immersed in the knowledge of Ancient Eastern culture rejected the book of Judas because they misunderstood it. But that is, in large part, what faith is about. We decide what we do and do not believe. In the more recent years, there has definitely been a resurgence in the Gnostic version of Christianity. (Truly, many Christians beliefs more resemble Gnosticism than Orthodoxy.) I am glad you enjoyed this book and sorry for geeking out a little bit in my reply! (I love this kind of discussion but have decided opinions :shock2: )
I am happy about your geeked out reply. :) I got pretty drawn in by this book. I'd love to know what you think about it, if you decide to read it. Yes, while the author cites a certain level of misunderstanding by biblical scholars, he believes that the Gnostic truths were suppressed intentionally. And it's true. We get to choose our beliefs, and how our beliefs evolve. I was raised Christian but was never devout - studied Buddhism and various forms of Eastern mysticism for a number of years. Through that experience I was exposed to the Gnostic gospels. I guess I didn't know that Gnosticism was becoming more commonly accepted among Christians. Here's to faith! Thanks for the dialogue.
-Nayyirah Waheed
ReaderBoy2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerboy2.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by ReaderBoy2 »

Wow, interesting subject. Yes your review left me wanting to read the book for sure! Thank you.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

ReaderBoy2 wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 15:09 Wow, interesting subject. Yes your review left me wanting to read the book for sure! Thank you.
Thanks so much for stopping by and checking out my review. It really is a pretty interesting book. I hope you get the chance to read it.
-Nayyirah Waheed
Kgaelsdottir
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kgaelsdottir.html
Latest Review: Final Report by Jeff Shear

Post by Kgaelsdottir »

I'll have to dive into this book at some point; I am well familiar with Gnostic tradition, as it was considered heretical in the Middle Ages, and I'm an academic focusing on the Medieval period. The only thing I wanted to clarify from the review: what school of Gnosticism is he referring to? There are many, and they each suggest different elements and interpretations. But the review definitely makes me want to read the book to perhaps answer that question. ;)
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Kgaelsdottir wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 19:53 I'll have to dive into this book at some point; I am well familiar with Gnostic tradition, as it was considered heretical in the Middle Ages, and I'm an academic focusing on the Medieval period. The only thing I wanted to clarify from the review: what school of Gnosticism is he referring to? There are many, and they each suggest different elements and interpretations. But the review definitely makes me want to read the book to perhaps answer that question. ;)
It's been a while since I read the book and I don't recall the author specifying what school of Gnosticism. I will look in my notes and see if I can find anything. Thanks for dropping by.
-Nayyirah Waheed
Kgaelsdottir
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kgaelsdottir.html
Latest Review: Final Report by Jeff Shear

Post by Kgaelsdottir »

No worries!!! Gnosticism is a broad topic--but maybe that's much more true just to those of us who are academics and tend to specify more than most...(add requisite humorous tone here)... ;)
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Kgaelsdottir wrote: 04 Sep 2018, 20:29 No worries!!! Gnosticism is a broad topic--but maybe that's much more true just to those of us who are academics and tend to specify more than most...(add requisite humorous tone here)... ;)
After I posted last, I Googled Gnosticism schools and my jaw was on the floor. I couldn't believe how many sects there are. I am really behind the curve. Need to study this a little more. Thanks for the discussion.
-Nayyirah Waheed
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A book showing Judas as a savior sounds very refreshing and original. The author offers a new interpretation of the relationship between Jesus and Judas, and based his claims on the Gnostic tradition. It is nice that the writing is clear, well written, and organized. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
mercylynne
Currently Reading: China Rich Girlfriend (Crazy Rich Asians #2)
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercylynne.html
Latest Review: A Police Action by A. A. Freda

Post by mercylynne »

Thank you for the wonderful review ,although am not familiar with Eastern mysticism so I cannot really relate.
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler sounds like a good book. I love religious books with different perspectives about our beliefs about religious matters. It's such an impressive comparative analysis. I will definitely give it a try. Great review!
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
Shraddha singh
Currently Reading: E-M-P Honeymoon
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Shraddha singh »

The name itself seems to be very mysterious so I'm excited to read this book

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”