Which Modern Book Will Become a Classic in the Future?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Re: Which Modern Book Will Become a Classic in the Future?

Post by bclayton13 »

I agree with other posters in that the Harry Potter series will become a classic. At the very least I think it'll be seen as historically significant, considering the effect it's had on pop culture.
ahmaria
Currently Reading: Beloved
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahmaria.html
Latest Review: Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry by Kaviru Gayathri Samarawickrama

Post by ahmaria »

KatSims92 wrote: 23 Jun 2018, 14:25 Harry Potter for sure, and another that springs to mind is Life of Pi. I wonder if any of John Green's books will go on to become classics, too, since they resonate so much with readers.
Life of Pi came to mind for me as well! I definitely think it has the potential to be a classic, even though it was somewhat underappreciated in its time.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I think and hope that Confessions of an Economic Hit Man by John Perkins will become required reading.
Laceyadams
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laceyadams.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Laceyadams »

Oh, I quite agree with the majority. Harry Potter definitely.i read the books and watched the movies so many times
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R »

Lil Reads wrote: 21 Jun 2018, 16:56 I personally hope that works by such authors as Zora Neale Hurston and Toni Morrison will become classics. Both authors wrote about important social topics and convey powerful emotions through their work. I read part of Beloved by Toni Morrison for class and found it so emotionally wrenching I had to set the book down to think about the impact it had on me.
Currently trying to read all of Toni Morrison books and each one is incredible. I would love her books to become classics.
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

abigailray1013 wrote: 06 Aug 2018, 19:48
Lil Reads wrote: 21 Jun 2018, 16:56 I personally hope that works by such authors as Zora Neale Hurston and Toni Morrison will become classics. Both authors wrote about important social topics and convey powerful emotions through their work. I read part of Beloved by Toni Morrison for class and found it so emotionally wrenching I had to set the book down to think about the impact it had on me.
Currently trying to read all of Toni Morrison books and each one is incredible. I would love her books to become classics.
I still need to read more of her work. Do you have a personal favorite or one you feel is her most important?
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
AnnaKathleen
Currently Reading: Kill Them All
Bookshelf Size: 1085
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annakathleen.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by AnnaKathleen »

I have a bad habit of associating classics with books that can be used in school. It is a habit I'm trying to break lol

I think the Harry Potter series can reach the level of classics and timeless, even if they never teach it in schools. The different themes contained within the series are incredible and the inspiration and impact it has had on readers and society/culture is mind-blowing.

A Handmaid's Tale and The Blind Assassin by Atwood definitely could be considered classics in my opinion. The idea of societal expectations, gender roles and expectations are themes that can be timeless and are very important for today. The Blind Assassin was from high school. A Handmaid's Tale I found on my own.

Toni Morrison is also great. I discovered her in my English class in high school. We used Song of Solomon to discuss culture and religion.
"I became darkness, shadow and wind." - Sarah J. Maas A Court of Mist and Fury
Facennagoss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-facennagoss.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Facennagoss »

Julie Green wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 15:22 It's a great question. The book that comes to my mind is The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. I see I'm not the only one to think this. It covers themes of our time and is beautifully told.
As I was reading the previous comments, this was the one I had in my head all along! I completely agree, The Kite Runner is right up there with the best.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.
Jastiz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Jastiz »

I think Disney's 20,000 leagues under the sea is classic , And can endure the test of time , The story features a misterious adventure under the sea with a blend of interesting caractes and great imagination .
Philip LoPresti
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Sparrow
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philip-lopresti.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Philip LoPresti »

It seems like a difficult thing to predict, given that there have been many books over the years that have been dismissed or even scorned on release that have turned out to be classics- Brave New World comes to mind- but I think my choice will hold up.
The Road by Cormac McCarthy is unrelentingly bleak, brutal and unflinching in its portrayal of a post-apocalyptic landscape and the desperate survivor trying to protect his son, but it's also kind of beautiful. McCarthy's writing style is unique- he's able to somehow give us "tough guy" minimalism and vivid descriptions seamlessly. That, and the unnamed survivor's persistence in holding on to his humanity through the increasing horrors he faces make the book one that sticks with you long after you've finished it.
It isn't an easy read, but is memorable and brilliantly written.
Hildehraefen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hildehraefen.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Hildehraefen »

"The Fault In Our Stars" by John Green. It treats on the subject of human suffering and trying to comprehend and live with it in a very raw and unfiltered way, which I think many books fail to do.
kristine29
Currently Reading: Release that witch
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristine29.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by kristine29 »

Certainly Harry Potter or and Percy Jackson and I also think Twilight saga
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Facennagoss wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 15:08
Julie Green wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 15:22 It's a great question. The book that comes to my mind is The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. I see I'm not the only one to think this. It covers themes of our time and is beautifully told.
As I was reading the previous comments, this was the one I had in my head all along! I completely agree, The Kite Runner is right up there with the best.
I haven't read this book, but I see it is one I must put on my list! Thank you!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
edith38
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edith38.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by edith38 »

I think Terry Pratchett will be there. Not by one single book but as a phenomenon of amazing genius that happens once in a blue moon. Also, probably Neil Gaiman but as his works are less concise he may be a bit saturated.

Return to “Classic Books”