genre confusion

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Waterstar0610
Currently Reading: Seekers
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waterstar0610.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B012F4HVBE

Icon genre confusion

Post by Waterstar0610 »

Hi all so there are to book genres that im a little confused about what they are exactly. i know mystery, sci-fi, Fantasy, Romance, etc and then obviously theres age genres which encompass other genres like YA (Ya-fantasy, Ya-romance, etc etc) Kids, Adult, etc but the two im confused about are Contemporary and New Adult. what exactly are these genres and what kind of books do they encompass? :?: :ugeek2: :eusa-think:
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Contemporary typically just means it takes place at the time it's written.

New adult focuses on the age range of 18 to around mid twenties. :tiphat:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
pixiequeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pixiequeer.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by pixiequeer »

Hmm...for some reason, Young Adult and New Adult sound and seem very similar, if not the same to me. Thoughts?
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

pixiequeer wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 23:45 Hmm...for some reason, Young Adult and New Adult sound and seem very similar, if not the same to me. Thoughts?
YA is aimed more toward teens (or even tweens), and new adult is aimed at 18 and above.
Prior to the advent of New Adult, those titles that would now fall under New Adult were placed wherever they best fit, and some probably wound up in YA. However, there tends to be more mature content in New Adult than in YA, with more mature relationships, and at times even explicit content. :tiphat:

Of course, if you really want to get down to it, all genre boundaries are just created to put things in boxes, so there's that.

I always get a kick out of kids reading Stephen King. Talk about children's literature. :lol:

pixiequeer
Currently Reading:

Post by pixiequeer »

Gravy wrote: 04 Aug 2018, 06:52
pixiequeer wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 23:45 Hmm...for some reason, Young Adult and New Adult sound and seem very similar, if not the same to me. Thoughts?
YA is aimed more toward teens (or even tweens), and new adult is aimed at 18 and above.
Prior to the advent of New Adult, those titles that would now fall under New Adult were placed wherever they best fit, and some probably wound up in YA. However, there tends to be more mature content in New Adult than in YA, with more mature relationships, and at times even explicit content. :tiphat:

Of course, if you really want to get down to it, all genre boundaries are just created to put things in boxes, so there's that.

I always get a kick out of kids reading Stephen King. Talk about children's literature. :lol:
That makes sense, I guess.

Although I haven't read anything considered New Adult, I will say Young Adult books do still tend to have relatively explicit content and mature relationships, to my surprise. I've found things I did not want to find before picking up some Young Adult novels 😂

My mom was always into Stephen King, Dean Koontz, John Saul, V. C. Andrews, etc., and therefore I got into them as well.

She bought me my first part of my V. C. Andrews collection when I was like 12, and those had some pretty adult content as well.

I'm not surprised though, the Stephen King movies are rated PG-13, so of course kids who like to read would probably end up reading the book as well.
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

pixiequeer wrote: 05 Aug 2018, 17:37

Although I haven't read anything considered New Adult, I will say Young Adult books do still tend to have relatively explicit content and mature relationships, to my surprise. I've found things I did not want to find before picking up some Young Adult novels 😂

My mom was always into Stephen King, Dean Koontz, John Saul, V. C. Andrews, etc., and therefore I got into them as well.

She bought me my first part of my V. C. Andrews collection when I was like 12, and those had some pretty adult content as well.

I'm not surprised though, the Stephen King movies are rated PG-13, so of course kids who like to read would probably end up reading the book as well.
I have to agree. I've seen some things in YA that just... Yeah. :lol:

Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

With adult content, it seems like changes in attitude or public perception can shift what would be in a YA versus NA book. Stephen King books usually get put in the general collection, but sometimes teens say they are not as scary as popular opinion led them to believe. V.C. Andrews seems to be now firmly in the adult section.
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
pixiequeer
Currently Reading:

Post by pixiequeer »

Lil Reads wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 12:25

With adult content, it seems like changes in attitude or public perception can shift what would be in a YA versus NA book. Stephen King books usually get put in the general collection, but sometimes teens say they are not as scary as popular opinion led them to believe. V.C. Andrews seems to be now firmly in the adult section.
My mom and I both started reading both authors as teens 😭 is that bad???
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

pixiequeer wrote: 10 Aug 2018, 01:53

Not at all; people respond differently to the same book. Some story elements can make some readers uncomfortable while others love those story elements. Enjoy whatever books you want.
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
pixiequeer
Currently Reading:

Post by pixiequeer »

Lil Reads wrote: 10 Aug 2018, 12:07
pixiequeer wrote: 10 Aug 2018, 01:53

Not at all; people respond differently to the same book. Some story elements can make some readers uncomfortable while others love those story elements. Enjoy whatever books you want.
I typically don't like anything too graphic overall, but certain authors don't bother me. Everyone's different though.
Taekwondoqueen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taekwondoqueen.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Taekwondoqueen »

I think that those two genres are about people who have just turned 18 or 21. Of course, I am too young to have read these books yet, but I am pretty sure this is what they are about.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”