Official Review: WaterForce by Jack Bell Stewart

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Official Review: WaterForce by Jack Bell Stewart

Post by joshfee77 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "WaterForce" by Jack Bell Stewart.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

WaterForce by Jack Bell Stewart is an environment-focussed crime thriller. Environmental terrorists dump the nerve agent responsible for botulism into the Pepacton Reservoir. The 140-billion litre Pepacton is the largest freshwater reservoir in the Catskill mountains, servicing New York City. The system delivers a total of 1.1 billion litres per day to 9 million people in New York. Herb Rose, who works for the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP), discovers the white powder splashed across a boulder and floating in the reservoir itself. He and lab technician Mo Punjab identify the bacteria but decide to hold off on alerting authorities until after further testing.

Meanwhile, Herb's sons Titus and Parker take steps toward becoming environmental activists themselves, concerned about the impact of the reservoir system on their home in the mountains. Their great-great-grandfather committed suicide in 1953 while being evicted from his home for the construction of the Pepacton Reservoir. Now, the toxin in the water supply may cause fatalities in New York City...

WaterForce is an entertaining and engrossing environmental thriller. The author has clearly completed thorough research for his book, supplying plenty of facts and figures that add realism to the plot. The book remains story-driven, however, never bogging down in dry technical detail. There is a great dynamic between brothers Titus and Parker Rose, with brotherly humour and competitiveness that rings true from the start. The characters all have their own strong motivations to drive their actions. There is also some excellent character description. For example: "She had her dusty jeans hiked up so they could see the hair on her legs, and her eye makeup looked like a skid mark on Route 28."

A particular highlight for me is a frankly hilarious briefing scene including President Trump, the directors of the CIA and FBI, and the Secretary of Defense. Trump's bumbling tough talk, constant insults, and bluffing are all well-depicted in the scenes in which he features. I couldn't help but laugh at how well Stewart captures Trump's true nature. I also really enjoyed the book's climactic scenes, which are tense and exciting, ending the story on a high note.

The only real negative for me in this book is its minor typographical errors. I should note that I found less than I have in most other books I've reviewed, but there were still more than ten. Also, a few paragraphs were double-indented, and a few others accidentally started mid-sentence. Unfortunately, this limits my rating for WaterForce to 3 out of 4 stars. With these errors fixed, it would definitely be 4 stars, as I thoroughly enjoyed the story. Anyone with an interest in the environment or terrorism would enjoy this book, but those turned off by the occasional violence should steer clear.

WaterForce
View: on Bookshelves

Like joshfee77's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

A particular highlight for me is a frankly hilarious briefing scene including President Trump, the directors of the CIA and FBI, and the Secretary of Defense. Trump's bumbling tough talk, constant insults, and bluffing are all well-depicted in the scenes in which he features. I couldn't help but laugh at how well Stewart captures Trump's true nature.
That sounds too funny!
Regarding the environmental research, I always appreciate an author who does thorough homework, because I often come across those who don't. Thanks for your interesting review.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This is really a story for our times. I got chills just reading your review. This book sound intriguing. Nice job!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! I don't think I've seen an environmental thriller before. It sounds interesting to me. You had me at terrorists dump the agent responsible for botulism. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

An environmental thriller is enticing, but I'm not sure it's quite for me. Thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R »

I am not sure I have ever read an environmental thriller but this one sounds particularly interesting and well researched. I think I would also very much enjoy the scene with Donald Trump.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Cecilia_L wrote: 05 Aug 2018, 15:38
A particular highlight for me is a frankly hilarious briefing scene including President Trump, the directors of the CIA and FBI, and the Secretary of Defense. Trump's bumbling tough talk, constant insults, and bluffing are all well-depicted in the scenes in which he features. I couldn't help but laugh at how well Stewart captures Trump's true nature.
That sounds too funny!
Regarding the environmental research, I always appreciate an author who does thorough homework, because I often come across those who don't. Thanks for your interesting review.
Yeah, a very well-researched book in every respect. Really enjoyed it.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

kdstrack wrote: 05 Aug 2018, 18:29 This is really a story for our times. I got chills just reading your review. This book sound intriguing. Nice job!
Thanks! It is certainly a frightening scenario to imagine, and the repercussions would be huge.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

kandscreeley wrote: 05 Aug 2018, 19:32 Wow! I don't think I've seen an environmental thriller before. It sounds interesting to me. You had me at terrorists dump the agent responsible for botulism. Thanks for the review.
I thought it sounded like something different, and it didn't disappoint. Easily held my interest in a topic (water supply) I probably wouldn't normally read about.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

AmySmiles wrote: 06 Aug 2018, 10:25 An environmental thriller is enticing, but I'm not sure it's quite for me. Thanks for the review.
Thanks for your comments. I must admit I wasn't too sure how I would go with it, but I was pleasantly surprised. Very well-written book!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

abigailray1013 wrote: 06 Aug 2018, 11:06 I am not sure I have ever read an environmental thriller but this one sounds particularly interesting and well researched. I think I would also very much enjoy the scene with Donald Trump.
Yes, very interesting, and the Trump scenes are classic!
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

An environmental thriller that's loaded with wit and a good sense of humor! That's definitely worth reading.Thanks for the comprehensive and captivating review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”