Official Review: The Day before We Became Rich

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Official Review: The Day before We Became Rich

Post by Rosemary Wright »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Day before We Became Rich" by Debbi Dougherty.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Day before We Became Rich, by Debbi Dougherty, is the author's account of her financial journey from lack to abundance. The purpose of the book is to encourage readers to build their faith in God despite their difficult financial conditions. In this narrative, Debbi tells how God has been so good and faithful to her. With intriguing and inspiring personal stories, she narrates how she and Kevin, her husband, rose from difficult circumstances.

Written in a journal format, this spiritual guide contains the monetary struggles and breakthroughs Debbi and Kevin have experienced. It consists of some valuable lessons that they have learned along the way. In addition, Debbi relates how she applied the wisdom of God to her problems and obtained positive results. She admonishes Christians to praise God in every circumstance, be patient, help other people, and be grateful to God at all times. Furthermore, she explains the principle of generosity and then highlights the benefits of being a generous giver.

Comprising 123 pages, the narrative is a quick read. It's enlightening and uplifting. It's captivating and easy to understand. The author presented her facts in a simple and clear way. The only flaw I saw in the book is lack of enough details. The author should have elaborated some of her points. A few sections have shallow description, as if she skipped some vital details. Nevertheless, the author succeeded in getting her message across. I enjoyed reading the narrative, and it has encouraged me to keep on helping others. I concurred with Debbi that the more you give, the more you receive, and irrespective of the challenge you face, if you lean on God, you'll overcome.

Intended for Christians, the narrative is mainly about looking to God for guidance and provisions. In an interesting manner, it unveils the importance of tithing and advises readers to hold onto their faith. It shows that God allows his children to go through hard times for a good purpose. Included in the text are a lot of extracts from the Bible. Hence, if you don't like books containing Scriptures, I guess you should skip this one.

Lastly, the book is engaging. It'll be very useful to readers experiencing financial problems. It was well edited since I noticed only a couple of grammatical errors. Therefore, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. I couldn't rate it higher because, for me, it feels a bit rushed.

The Day before We Became Rich
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rosemary Wright's review? Post a comment saying so!
yoyopat1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoyopat1.html
Latest Review: Our pastor has gone mad again by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by yoyopat1 »

Looking forward to reading it.
stbrians
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stbrians.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by stbrians »

I love books that put God ahead of everything. Debbie and her husband did this and excelled according to your review. Tithing and generosity are foremost. The fact that all the situations we pass through are meant for our good is a great tip. We should accept all situations.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I like the concept of this as a good reminder that our money is a blessing from God. I think we can forget who the source is when we are striving for our finances to get in order. This one sounds intriguing! Too bad that it didn’t feel like a good pace and was rushed. It still interests me though. Thanks for this review.
Everything happens for a reason...
Yssimnar
Favorite Book: Wives and Daughters
Currently Reading: No Man Knows My History
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yssimnar.html
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

Post by Yssimnar »

Rosemary Wright wrote: 04 Aug 2018, 11:42 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Day before We Became Rich" by Debbi Dougherty.]

Written in a journal format, this spiritual guide contains the monetary struggles and breakthroughs Debbi and Kevin have experienced. It consists of some valuable lessons that they have learned along the way. In addition, Debbi relates how she applied the wisdom of God to her problems and obtained positive results.
Thanks for the honest review. I am wondering if the author gave any mention to negative experiences that could contradict this message. Sometimes we don't always see the way leading to good things, rather to trial and testing. Thoughts?
:wink:
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

I was interested in this book before, and your review makes me look forward to reading it even more!
Bekamann
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bekamann »

Having gone through the reviews, I am a victim of this. I have now learned to be patient and trusting that God has his way of pedagogy to man. I am giving the author Debbi and Kevin a big thanks. I rate 3 out of 4 star.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

It would be interesting to see a Christian perspective on wealth.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I love the title of this book and after reading your review, I''m even more interested in reading it. I appreciate that it offers practical advice and scriptures that support it. Thanks for the recommendation!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I feel like books like these state that God is only faithful if he blesses you with wealth. I don't like that type of message. So I'm going to pass on this one. Thanks for the information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

This book doesn't appeal to me, but I wanted to say thanks for a really thorough, balanced review. It sounds like a book Christians would really benefit from.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

This sounds like an uplifting book. The topic of money and God is always a tricky one, so it is unfortunate that the author rushed the book. I don't think this is the book for me right now though. Thank you for the awesome review. :)
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator

kandscreeley wrote: 05 Aug 2018, 19:23 I feel like books like these state that God is only faithful if he blesses you with wealth. I don't like that type of message. So I'm going to pass on this one. Thanks for the information.
Hi Kandscreeley, nice to read your comment on my review again. Hope you're fine. The book doesn't state that God is only faithful if he blesses you with wealth. It shows that God is always there for His children, even during bad times, but He surely makes a way out. 😊 👌
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

kandscreeley wrote: 05 Aug 2018, 19:23 I feel like books like these state that God is only faithful if he blesses you with wealth. I don't like that type of message. So I'm going to pass on this one. Thanks for the information.
I'm with Kandscreely on this. Thanks for the review, but I'm going to pass.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator

Katerina Katapodi wrote: 06 Aug 2018, 01:31 Nice Comments!!
Thank You for your kind words,
ALL THE BEST IN THE FUTURE FOR YOU!!..All Your wishes come true!
Hi, Katerina, how're you? You make me confused here. Are the comments about your comment-cum-review or about the review posted by Rosemary Wright? Please, I should be the one responding. Thanks.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”