Review by arinola grace -- Pancake Money by Finn Bell

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
arinola grace
Currently Reading: A Tome of Order Magic
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arinola-grace.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell
Reading Device: B077RNJR5N

Review by arinola grace -- Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by arinola grace »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Pancake Money" by Finn Bell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Finn Bell has written pancake money in a realistic and interactive way, a young detective and a seasoned veteran are caught up in a fast paced series of murders involving saintly priests and the manga kahu; a family based gang. With all the crime scenes completely evidence free the detectives have little to go on and are getting anxious. A well known well respected member of the manga kahu escapes when legal freedom is just a few weeks away. Every one is left wondering what could make a family gang man ignore freedom and who could be behind the incredibly gory deaths of three saintly priests, all the answers seems to be hidden in the funeral of a bright child whose reason for suicide is simply inexplicable and the psychological consequence of a pain filled past in a young mind.

The book pancake money is a highly intellectual and educational read. The classes with Bowlby throw light on the psychological intricacies of the book. Her classes play a vital role in the book as they help readers understand the workings of a mind driven to the corner by pain. I feel the book centers on educating the reader on the effects of too much pain using the murdered priest as an example.

I loved the storyline of the book, the way the actual murderer was craftily hidden in broad day light, the way the answers slowly began to unfold in spite of the fast paced nature of the book and the fact that it all led up to an occasion which although seemed insignificant at first, turned out to be the root of all the catastrophes that happened during that week. I enjoyed the way the writer depicted the different levels of love in the characters relationships, from completely pure and peaceful to downright twisted. The characters were wonderfully crafted and the plot was truly outstanding, I especially loved the end of the book and would like to know the answer to the last question thrown.

I rate the book pancake money 4 out of 4 stars. I found no grammatical error and the story was simply amazing not only did it educate me on the psychological mess too much pain can cause but it also threw light on the unfamiliar concept of family based gangs.

For readers who want a quick rundown, it is a book that involves catholism, gangsters, detectives, family, forensic psychology, gory murders and the element of surprise. It is a true murder thriller and I recommend you read it if none of the things mentioned above significantly disturb you as a person. I do not recommend this book for people with over active imaginations, which have a high aversion to serious criminal acts and children.

Pancake Money
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like arinola grace's review? Post a comment saying so!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

You have definitely convinced me to read this. I am a sucker for murder and mystery books. Do the priests deserve such painful and shameful deaths?

One other thing that totally intrigues me is the title. Por que?

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”