Official Review: Kaiserjaeger by Ronald McQueen

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Official Review: Kaiserjaeger by Ronald McQueen

Post by crediblereading2 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Kaiserjaeger" by Ronald McQueen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kaiserjaeger by Ronald McQueen, is categorized under the genre of fiction books and is the second part of a trilogy series. The book targets a young adult audience and is a captivating read that is packed full of jaw-dropping and spine-tingling actions and surprises. Children and older folks will also be enthralled by this page-turner. The stories are inspired by events that happened during the end of the Second World War or World War 2. The area of focus is Austria, and the story depicts the Emperor’s elite troops aka the Kaiserjaeger, on a mission to fight the enemy in the mountains. The book promotes loyalty, bravery, and teamwork.

Austrian Archbishop Franz Ferdinand and his wife have been assassinated. Serbia is the suspect, and there are talks of reprisals, however, as Russia considers itself to be Serbia’s protector, this could pose a problem for Austria. An attack on Serbia may also incite Germany to become involved. War is imminent, therefore, a group of men from various surroundings has gathered to be trained to fight this battle. Included among this regiment, is August Thaller, the skillful mountain-climber, and sharpshooter, and Andrei, a country boy from the Cossacks in Russia. He is on the run for being a suspect in a shooting in Sarajevo, and has decided to seek refuge in Austria. Another key player in this fight is Harald who is accused of an indiscretion. He is the personal secretary to the distinguished Maximillian von Gutschien who is a very important figure in the governing body of Austria-Hungary. Preparations are underway for the war, however, unbeknownst to the men, other looming and deadly surprises await them in the mountains. Will they be able to survive these surprises and will Austria succeed in the battle against its foes?

The author's life has been touched by the events of World War 2 as his parents’ paths became intertwined during that time. Recapturing the events and having them penned in this story has, therefore, become a personal part of his journey. Using dialogue and action, he has craftily stunned his readers with vivid sceneries of a war in progress. His prose is crisp; clear, and exuberant, and he has certainly introduced much pathos and ethos to the entire story. He narrates in the third person and the mood he has utilized throughout the passage is revenge.

I have enjoyed the way how the author has developed the characters, especially that of Andrei. He is to be greatly admired because he starts out as a country boy from the Cossacks in Russia then becomes trained in the military in Bosnia. He is, however, framed as a killer in that country but courageously escapes with his friend Nikolai to safety. He afterward joins the Kaiserjaeger, fighting to avenge Austria.

I know that this is a book on war, therefore, scenes of death and destruction must be anticipated, however, these are the parts that I do not enjoy about the story. Because these scenes are expected, I will not allow it to detract from giving this book a 4 out of 4 stars rating. Also, I have not spotted many errors, therefore, this has influenced my decision in awarding this rating.

This book will appeal to persons who are interested in the military and those who enjoy action stories. However, persons who have undergone many traumas in their lives are cautioned against reading this book.

Kaiserjaeger
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like crediblereading2's review? Post a comment saying so!
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

Excellent review! Extremely detailed and insightful. Unfortunately, war-themed books are too heavy for me because I can't handle death and destruction properly, so I think I'll pass.
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sunnyroyish »

I've seen some of the film's on world war 2. But I never read a non-fictional story about it. I think I'll read this book once I finish reading my current book.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Excellent review! Despite the war-related content, the plot sounds quite intriguing.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Great review! Very detailed. I haven't read any war books before but I might try this one. I'm glad you get to know the characters very well in it. Thanks for the review!
:techie-studyingbrown:
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I really enjoyed reading your review. I also struggle with my desire to learn about this time period in our history, but also being very sensitive to the imagery of war. I think it is important that we understand the tragedy that war brings and one of the ways to do that is to grow our capacity to read about it. So, I am on the fence. I am, however, curious about what becomes of Andrei! At any rate, I really appreciate your honest and thorough review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
crediblereading2

Morgan Jones wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 07:27 Excellent review! Extremely detailed and insightful. Unfortunately, war-themed books are too heavy for me because I can't handle death and destruction properly, so I think I'll pass.
Thank you for your kind comments. I appreciate the feedback.
crediblereading2

Cecilia_L wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 22:19 Excellent review! Despite the war-related content, the plot sounds quite intriguing.
Thank you for your kind comments. I appreciate the feedback.
crediblereading2

LaurenHaupt wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 09:16 Great review! Very detailed. I haven't read any war books before but I might try this one. I'm glad you get to know the characters very well in it. Thanks for the review!
Yes, I really enjoyed reading this book and getting to know the characters. Thank you for your kind comments. I appreciate the feedback.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

I am not into war and scenes of death and destruction so I'll bypass reading this book. I'm glad you enjoyed reading this book and gave it a perfect rating. Lovers of this genre will love this book.
Yssimnar
Favorite Book: Wives and Daughters
Currently Reading: No Man Knows My History
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yssimnar.html
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

Post by Yssimnar »

I also don't like war books, but it sounds like this was able to keep your attention anyway.
:wink:
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin
Charlaigne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlaigne.html
Latest Review: Reaching the Shore by Davin Jake Douma and BonnieJane Hall

Post by Charlaigne »

Sounds different: a war book for a young adult audience is not something I've encountered. That was a thoughtful and well-considered review, and I'm actually intrigued that you mentioned it might not suit those who have undergone previous traumas.
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Al Chakauya »

Great review there -honest, thorough and comprehensive. I enjoy watching movies and documentaries on world wars but I haven't read a book on that. This seems a great read from your description but not my kind of read though: I prefer the moving picture version apparently. The author has made a great job by minimising typos and gramma mistakes- a great way of capturing the attention of the reader.
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

This review is awesome, I have gotten a good picture about this book and I would surely pick it up as I love stories that have something to do with the second world War.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Great review of the fiction book which is written elegantly with full of surprising actions and much captivating . I hope to read this book soon
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.

Return to “Historical Fiction”