Review by Laura Bach -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Review by Laura Bach -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Every child dreams of becoming a superhero. With the book Toni the Superhero, they learn that they actually have everything they need to achieve their dream.

Toni the Superhero is a children’s book. In its short pages, we see Toni doing things a normal child can do. We have a wide variety of activities. There are activities that benefit his health, his physical condition, and his relationship with others. It mixes activities that a child normally does, like playing with others, with activities that he normally avoids, like cleaning the house. Cleaning the house should become more fun for kids because if Toni does it, they will want to do it too. This superhero image is just so that children will take his example.

It actually goes beyond the superpowers. What is a superhero without his superpower, right? We only see Toni flying, he isn’t battling criminals or monsters. All the other things he does are ordinary. Except maybe rescuing pets because I consider that an extraordinary act. Children will think of superheroes as more human if they see Toni do all those simple things anyone can do.

I like the fact that Toni is a boy of color. It crushes the Superman image. Just like this book teaches kids that superheroes don’t do only extraordinary things, it also teaches them that superheroes are not generic and can be found in anyone, not only white Caucasian males.

The illustrations by Debbie J. Hefke are colorful and full of life. They could easily convince a child to pay attention to them. One thing I noticed is that we see Toni with his friends and his mother, but maybe a father figure would have also been nice to see. I would have liked to see Toni help his father. It doesn’t bother me because this book is more focused on what Toni does than who he is with. As there are more books to come, I hope we will see him in the next books.

This book is easy to read. It is short, light, and fun. The use of simple verbs, for example, “to like” or “to be”, helps the young reader understand better, without having to grasp more than 2-3 syllables. The repetitive words make the task easier for the kids, giving them confidence in the first words of the phrase but also challenging them with the last ones. A mother or a kindergarten teacher could benefit from reading this book to children. It is meant to be read by children within the age range of 4 to 7 years. I think a seven-year-old child is a little too old for this book. I read books more complex than this one at that age. I would have kept the age range of 4 to 6, but a year is not a big difference. At that age, a child needs to read only things that can capture his attention. I believe this book can.

I give Toni the Superhero 4 out of 4 stars. It is a book that fulfills its purpose. It is supposed to inspire children who dream of superheroes and to create a more child-appropriate image of them. I would’ve liked to read this book as a child. Since I happen to have a niece of 4 years old, I am thinking of trying this book with her when she will start to read. I have a feeling it will go well.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves | on Smashwords

Like Laura Bach's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I also think your niece will enjoy it :)
This is a great review. Thanks!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Toni is such a wonderful superhero that I think every child should emulate. Thank you for a great review.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

Nice review! I read this one too and I couldn't agree more with your comments!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I hope that your niece will enjoy it too! From all the reviews of this book, it seems like a great children's book. Thanks for the lovely review!
Laura Ungureanu

Bianka Walter wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 13:45 I also think your niece will enjoy it :)
This is a great review. Thanks!
Thank you for taking the time to read it! My niece was excited about the book when I told her.
Laura Ungureanu

crediblereading2 wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 14:19 Toni is such a wonderful superhero that I think every child should emulate. Thank you for a great review.
Thank you! Toni is a really great example.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I read the book too and can't agree more with you! Chicken that age definitely love superheroes. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

Thank you for the great review. Toni is definitely a great superhero for the little kiddies.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Waragu Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waragu-samuel.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Waragu Samuel »

The illustrations by Debbie J. Hefke are colorful and full of life. They could easily convince a child to pay attention to them. One thing I noticed is that we see Toni with his friends and his mother, but maybe a father figure would have also been nice to see.
This is so true. The eyes is trained in such a way to see appealing things. This is especually true to children. I totally agree that the illustrations by Debbie in this book are appealing.
“If things start happening, don't worry, don't stew, just go right along and you'll start happening too.”~Dr. Theodor Seuss Geisel (1904-1991)
Laura Ungureanu

Dael Reader wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 15:22 Nice review! I read this one too and I couldn't agree more with your comments!
Thank you, I appreciate that you took the time to read my review.
Laura Ungureanu

gen_g wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 22:43 I hope that your niece will enjoy it too! From all the reviews of this book, it seems like a great children's book. Thanks for the lovely review!
It is a great book, I hope everyone can see its true value. Thank you!
Laura Ungureanu

Cotwani wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 04:28 I read the book too and can't agree more with you! Chicken that age definitely love superheroes. Great review!
Thank you for the appreciation!
Laura Ungureanu

JR Mercier wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 05:00 Thank you for the great review. Toni is definitely a great superhero for the little kiddies.
Toni is a good example for kids; and the book sure has great things to offer. Thank you!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”