Remove the secret code BOTD bonus

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Re: Remove the secret code BOTD bonus

Post by Scott »

Each time a person doesn't open an email from OnlineBookClub, it hurts our sender scores with the email providers, which makes our emails land in more people's spam boxes. This creates major problems for people who want to get the emails, such as when verifying their email or getting important alerts about things like overdue reviews.

Also, if there is problems, like the emails not going through, I find members are more likely to report those problems when we have the bonus in place.

In theory, if everyone entered the bonus code, it effectively wouldn't be a bonus. However, about 70% of entrants do not claim the bonus entry for the bonus code.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane

Post by kfwilson6 »

Interesting...Well Helen, I feel better about it now :)
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I too am in the US and could do without it. I'm a night owl, often staying up until 1 or even 2am, yet there are times that it doesn't come before then and so I miss out on that point! And like someone else said, I'm here everyday anyhow, so it's really a pain in the doopah to then have to check my email to get the code and put it in HOURS after I've already done everything else, and I'd just as soon do without the emails entirely.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Scott wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 16:10 Each time a person doesn't open an email from OnlineBookClub, it hurts our sender scores with the email providers, which makes our emails land in more people's spam boxes. This creates major problems for people who want to get the emails, such as when verifying their email or getting important alerts about things like overdue reviews.

Also, if there is problems, like the emails not going through, I find members are more likely to report those problems when we have the bonus in place.

In theory, if everyone entered the bonus code, it effectively wouldn't be a bonus. However, about 70% of entrants do not claim the bonus entry for the bonus code.
Ah, thank you for that. I did wonder if it had another purpose other than a simple bonus. Now I know that there is a purpose, I’m quite happy with it.

Mind you, Ms Tri has a good suggestion, which is to completely abandon the book of the day email. I’m sure a lot of people just get into the habit of doing the book of the day at a particular time of the day. I gave up waiting for the email long ago. Then you wouldn't have the inherent problems of emailing to such a huge list every single day.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
samiam013
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samiam013.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by samiam013 »

I have to agree with you on this one. Sometimes I do receive the email and there are times I do not receive the email for the daily giveaway. On those days I am unable to enter the secret code, so I miss out on one of the entries for the giveaway. Thanks for posting this. I did not realize there were others who were struggling with this as well.
"Books give a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything". (Plato) :reading-7:

Smiles are contagious! Infect someone today! :D
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

Well, I really don't mind whichever way it pans out. I'm equally outside the US and have had the email come in much later than usual. On such occasions, I generally don't get a good night's sleep because I keep waking up to check until I see the mail. This was way before the secret code bonus because I use the email to add the BOTD to my bookshelves in compliance with the twitter retweets program. So it's pretty useful to me personally; I didn't even know it had other implications for the site as well. And with Scott's explanation, I understand why the mail went to my spam a few times past.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Vickie Noel wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 00:04 Well, I really don't mind whichever way it pans out. I'm equally outside the US and have had the email come in much later than usual. On such occasions, I generally don't get a good night's sleep because I keep waking up to check until I see the mail. This was way before the secret code bonus because I use the email to add the BOTD to my bookshelves in compliance with the twitter retweets program. So it's pretty useful to me personally; I didn't even know it had other implications for the site as well. And with Scott's explanation, I understand why the mail went to my spam a few times past.
I use the link to bookshelves at the bottom of the review to put the book on my bookshelves.
Last edited by Helen_Combe on 23 Jul 2018, 03:15, edited 1 time in total.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

Oh, never really noticed that before, thanks a lot.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

I never bother with the Secret Code entry; it's more trouble than it's worth. I don't quite understand the thinking behind it, to be honest.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

JudasFm wrote: 29 Jul 2018, 21:31 I never bother with the Secret Code entry; it's more trouble than it's worth. I don't quite understand the thinking behind it, to be honest.
Scott explained it's purpose in one of the comments in this thread.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Honestly, the complaining about this seems a bit much. The BOTD giveaways are a nice thing that has not always been a part of the site. I feel the same way about the contest for two gift cards for the BOTM discussion. When I joined, neither of this prizes were part of the site. The bonus points for social media weren't part of the reviewer score formula either. I guess I feel all of these things are nice extras and not something to gripe about, as far as timing, inconvenience, etc. Just my opinion.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

bookowlie wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 12:20 Honestly, the complaining about this seems a bit much. The BOTD giveaways are a nice thing that has not always been a part of the site. I feel the same way about the contest for two gift cards for the BOTM discussion. When I joined, neither of this prizes were part of the site. The bonus points for social media weren't part of the reviewer score formula either. I guess I feel all of these things are nice extras and not something to gripe about, as far as timing, inconvenience, etc. Just my opinion.
:text-yeahthat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Enough was said about this. I am locking the thread.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”