Review by Sdejardine -- The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sdejardine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sdejardine.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Review by Sdejardine -- The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci

Post by Sdejardine »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci" by Belle Ami.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This book, The Girl Who Knew DaVinci was a hit! Belle Ami doesn't disappoint! I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. I give it this rating as it kept me fully engaged throughout the book and kept me guessing. I think the audience that would enjoy this book the most would be somebody who enjoys romance with a bit of thriller and history included. I especially liked the historical background of the book, and it kept me engaged throughout. The love scenes make it for more of an adult audience, but I think Belle Ami is known for this.

In this book, I almost expected it to be more like The DaVinci Code, and while it had some similar history, I think this book stood out on its own. The flashbacks used by the author were an interesting way to tell the DaVinci history, and it also created an intriguing element to the story.

In the story, we start with Angela, who is an art historian. Early on in the book she starts having these out of body-type experiences that she is unaware of. These are flashbacks that take her to a previous life where she knew DaVinci. She is paired up with Alex, an art detective who is looking for a lost DaVinci painting that may or may not exist. Their chemistry is evident from the get-go.

Angela and Alex eventually team up to try to find the lost painting of DaVinci. Along the way, they discover interesting things about their pasts that link them to each other and to the history of DaVinci. Angela and Alex come across many obstacles along the way; the most dangerous being Angela's former employer who would like the lost DaVinci for himself. They also find that trusting each other is maybe the only way to find the DaVinci, and that fighting their feelings towards each other will only make their mission more difficult.

There was so much action in this book that it kept the reader thoroughly engaged, and I truly appreciated that. While I am a fan of historical fiction, sometimes the history can overrun the true story the author is trying to convey. Belle Ami had the right balance when writing this book, and I truly appreciated that. But, the author didn't stop at action. The book is full of steamy romance, so be prepared. I do not think it took away from the book at all, but made the characters more personable. If you are not into steamy romance with your action and history, then this book is not for you. For the rest of us, get your comfy jammies on, and get a cup of coffee ready, because this one is going to be an all-nighter!

The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sdejardine's review? Post a comment saying so!
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I read this one too and had a totally different reaction to it. I was hoping for a bit more on the art history-mystery theme, but I felt the book focused more on the unbridled lust of the main characters (past and present) that anything else. For a supposedly strong, intelligent woman, I thought Angela came across as a sad damsel-in-distress. But I enjoyed your review. I think it's interesting to read reviews by people with a completely different perspective.
Sdejardine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sdejardine.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Sdejardine »

I appreciate your response. I enjoy a book with a bit of everything. This may have been heavy on the romance. Maybe it was the whole Italy thing. I rather enjoyed the balance.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Flashbacks can be tricky, but it seems like they worked well here. Your enthusiasm for the book is catchy!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”