Official Review: The Korean Word For Butterfly

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Official Review: The Korean Word For Butterfly

Post by strawberrysab »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Korean Word For Butterfly" by Jamie Zerndt.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Korean Word For Butterfly by Jamie Zerndt is a thoughtful and emotional novel about fabricated opportunities and the desire for redemption, about making choices and dealing with their consequences. It is set in South Korea during the 2002 World Cup and under the shadow of escalating anti-American sentiments cast by the deaths of two Korean girls hit by a U.S. tank, a tragic accident that really happened.

The story unfolds through the alternating perspectives of the three protagonists, as their lives cross and weave together in the aisles of an English school at the gates of Seoul.

First, we meet Billie and her boyfriend Joe as they set foot on Korean soil. They are two high school graduates who filed bogus paperwork (literally) to embark on a year long challenge as teachers in Korea, driven by a need for adventure and by the wish of a life-changing experience. They land, full of dreams and hopes, and with a vision of the country that might or might not be idealized. Upon their arrival, they are welcomed by Moon.

Moon is a former music producer, currently working at the English school, and ex alcoholic who is trying to piece his life back together. His wife Min Jee left him, taking their three-year-old son Hyo from him, after he hurt the child’s arm in a moment of drunken numbness. Shaken by the accident, Moon has since then stopped drinking, while trying to rebuild the relationship with both his son and his wife. He is the one in charge of vetting new teachers for the school and the one to discover that Billie and Joe are frauds.

And then there is Yun-ji. She works as a secretary at the English school while taking business classes in the morning. She’s destined to take over her father’s management of the restaurant they own, but her dream is to one day open an Internet cafe for women only. Her days are marked by the unstable relationship of her parents. Her father neglects his family in favor of alcohol, while her mother passively accepts the situation. One day Yun-ji meets Shaun, a US soldier who will change her life forever.

What’s peculiar about the storytelling is that, while Moon and Yun-ji are written in third person, Billie is written in first person, making her a sort of main protagonist. It’s an interesting and keen choice from the author, as it gives us the point of view of an American civil who sees what her country's military is doing in foreign land through the eyes of the hosting country. At the same time it shows how the Americans’ vivaciousness is felt by Koreans. An idea of the feeling is given by this quote, which I found to be truly representative: “Both of the girls probably knew the English word for nabi. But did American children need to learn the Korean word for butterfly? No. There was no need for their children to learn Yun-ji’s language.”

Mind you, I’m neither American nor Korean, so I devoured the pages of this book with the neutral eye of someone who enjoyed reading about two diametrically opposite societies struggling with the ups and downs of a forced cohabitation.

I picked this book for review because I was drawn by the Asian settings and by the multiple viewpoints. I have to say it did not disappoint. Zerndt’s writing style is fluid and lively, he managed to bring life to both the landscape and the characters, which I could easily picture. If I have to quibble over something, I would have wished for more background into Billie and Joe’s pre-Korean life, as I didn’t find clear what led them to such an extreme choice. The only real complaint I can make is that I wish this book were much longer!

As for the editing, there are a couple of things that mildly unsettled me. For a start, the name of the school was written in different ways, such as Kid’s Inc., Kids Inc! or Kids, Inc! Same goes for megook and meegook. The punctuation needs some polishing, the poor commas were at times misused. But aside from that, the few mistakes I spotted weren’t significant enough to ruin my enjoyment. I didn’t consider as errors the dialogues of Koreans (for instance, a few block instead of a few blocks) as they came with the little knowledge of the English language and gave more credibility to the exchanges.

The book was studded with Korean terms whose meaning was clear most of the times. I personally had to look up for words like megook and learned quite a few new things, something to be always grateful for!

Given all the above considerations, I’d rate this book 3.5 stars if I could. I’m still bouncing back and forth between 3 and 4 stars, but in consideration of the modesty of the editing issues, I decided to give it a full 4 out of 4 stars.

I would recommend it to anyone who wants to read an original and well-written novel. I have just one warning: at some point the story deals with a sensitive topic like abortion.

The Korean Word For Butterfly
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like strawberrysab's review? Post a comment saying so!
Berry :wine:
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Great review thank you. I am adding this to my reading list. I have to know what happens to Billie and Joe. Saying that you wish the book was longer is a great recommendation. I look forward to the day that I can snuggle up and read this book. Thank you!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Northernbird84
Currently Reading: The Crossing
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-northernbird84.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by Northernbird84 »

Thank you for your honest and thoughtful review. I am intrigued by this story but not sure if I would enjoy it or not. Your enthusiastic review has encouraged me to give it a go.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
Corhan2
Favorite Book: Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta #2)
Currently Reading: Land of Painted Caves
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corhan2.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Corhan2 »

Thanks for your thoughts. Sounds like an interesting story and something I may like.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I too think that your review of this book is both enthusiastic and energetic. I like that the book deals with issues of making choices and facing the consequences as everyone is affected by them.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This book sounds absolutely amazing, especially with the use of multiple perspectives. Thanks for the great review!
JENTUL
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JENTUL »

:x Great, but not too sure to single it out for future reading
strawberrysab

Post by strawberrysab »

AmySmiles wrote: 27 Jul 2018, 07:01 Great review thank you. I am adding this to my reading list. I have to know what happens to Billie and Joe. Saying that you wish the book was longer is a great recommendation. I look forward to the day that I can snuggle up and read this book. Thank you!
Thanks to you! I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did 😊
strawberrysab

Post by strawberrysab »

Northernbird84 wrote: 27 Jul 2018, 07:24 Thank you for your honest and thoughtful review. I am intrigued by this story but not sure if I would enjoy it or not. Your enthusiastic review has encouraged me to give it a go.
I truly enjoyed it and hope you will read it. I’m sure you won’t be disappointed. 🤗
strawberrysab

Post by strawberrysab »

Corhan2 wrote: 27 Jul 2018, 09:25 Thanks for your thoughts. Sounds like an interesting story and something I may like.
It was an interesting story indeed, I hope you will enjoy it too!
strawberrysab

Post by strawberrysab »

crediblereading2 wrote: 27 Jul 2018, 10:25 I too think that your review of this book is both enthusiastic and energetic. I like that the book deals with issues of making choices and facing the consequences as everyone is affected by them.
That’s true. And I won’t spoil anything but I loved to see how two people reacted so differently and unexpectedly to the same event.
strawberrysab

Post by strawberrysab »

gen_g wrote: 27 Jul 2018, 10:30 This book sounds absolutely amazing, especially with the use of multiple perspectives. Thanks for the great review!
Thank you for reading it! I admit that for me it’s enough to read there are multiple viewpoints to jump on a book :lol2:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Wishing a book was longer is always a good sign. The cultural lessons you picked up reading it appeal to me. Thanks for the lovely review!
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

This sounds different than my normal reading choices. I think I would like it. You make it sound like an excellent book. Wishing a book were "much longer" is always high praise. Nice job.
strawberrysab

Post by strawberrysab »

kfwilson6 wrote: 27 Jul 2018, 16:05 This sounds different than my normal reading choices. I think I would like it. You make it sound like an excellent book. Wishing a book were "much longer" is always high praise. Nice job.
I would have definitely loved to read more about some minor characters, like Moon’s ex wife just to mention one. There was so much more potential.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”