Review by drunyan -- The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
drunyan
Currently Reading: A Kingdom's Cost
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drunyan.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Review by drunyan -- The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by drunyan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I was at first resistant to, then transfixed by, the spiritual development of author Richard L. Haight in his book The Unbound Soul: A Spiritual Memoir for Personal Transformation and Enlightenment. He started on the path toward spiritual enlightenment at a very young age. Throughout the book, Haight describes several visions he experienced in points in his life. In the first vision Haigt had as a young boy, Jesus told him to find the essence of Jesus’ teachings and give it back to the world: “Find my bones, for they are the core of my teaching.” Haight then began his quest. Some of the spiritual beliefs that he encountered on his spiritual journey were aikido, sotai-ho, Christianity, reincarnation, and studies of the aura.

One of the primary purposes of this book is to encourage the reader to become aware of the differences between our consciousness and our minds. If we pay attention to our thought processes we will be free from our own suffering. This personal mental suffering is a result of our resistance to being one with God, or “Isness,” as Haight refers to it. The reason he uses this name is because he asked it, “What are you?” and its answer was “as best as I can put it into words was, ‘There is no other.’”

Focusing on being one with "Isness" will free us from any pre-existing structure that keeps us separate from "Isness." Examples of these structures are the idea of the individual self, and various religions and belief systems. These things are of the mind, rather than the soul. Innocent curiosity is what begins the process of resolving the conflict within the self. This understanding is more of an "unfoldment," as the author terms it, an opening to or radical simplification of what "Isness" truly is. (Realization is awareness of something previously unnoticed.)

I found myself questioning the validity of the author’s story at times. His explanations of time spent studying various religious/spiritual ways of investigating “Isness” seem vague. It seems he can acquire understandings of certain teachings and experiences much more quickly than an average person. I found it especially hard to believe that he was awarded Masters’ licenses in four samauri arts and a traditional healing art called Sotai-ho within 15 years.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was easy to read, and was obviously professionally edited. (I found no spelling or other errors.) I became caught up in the author’s story of his life and his visions. I felt that many of the statements he made based on his learning reflected my personal growth, so I could relate to what he was saying.

The Unbound Soul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like drunyan's review? Post a comment saying so!
I am back! 4 months after radiation treatments and still cancer-free!
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I don't find this book calling my name but I appreciate your review. Thank You!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Northernbird84
Currently Reading: The Crossing
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-northernbird84.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by Northernbird84 »

I hope you don't mind me asking, I was just wondering what led to you scoring the book 4 out of 4 when they are a few things you doubt the validity of?

Just curious, promise I mean no disrespect at all

Jenna xxx
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
drunyan
Currently Reading: A Kingdom's Cost
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drunyan.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by drunyan »

I rated the book 4 out of 4 because I thought his insights related to my personal growth, and because I found myself examining the differences between my thinking patterns and what I really believe in my heart.
I am back! 4 months after radiation treatments and still cancer-free!
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I was at first resistant to, then transfixed by, the spiritual development of author Richard L. Haight in his book The Unbound Soul: A Spiritual Memoir for Personal Transformation and Enlightenment. He started on the path toward spiritual enlightenment at a very young age. Throughout the book, Haight describes several visions he experienced in points in his life. In the first vision Haigt had as a young boy, Jesus told him to find the essence of Jesus’ teachings and give it back to the world: “Find my bones, for they are the core of my teaching.” Haight then began his quest. Some of the spiritual beliefs that he encountered on his spiritual journey were aikido, sotai-ho, Christianity, reincarnation, and studies of the aura.
I had the same experience. At first, I wanted to find fault, as his experiences seemed extraordinary to say the least. The dream, I thought, "Well, anyone can have a dream about anything." , but the part where he is meditating in a stadium filled with people, and then he can read what's on a slip of paper in someone's pocket 200 yards away. Eh, c'mon.

But, ultimately I found the information challenging and helpful. I've tried his meditation technique a few times. I also really appreciated his tips on wellness and diet.

And it's not hard to get that many black belts if you're the one that invents the technique.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

I don't mind the validity of his stories. It is still an inspiring read and I can clearly see why you rated it so highly. Loved your review.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
nice 2 rv
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by nice 2 rv »

It's very essential to study and compare spiritual life or the "internal man" to the external man or the physical, becouse I belive every physical end - result of a man's character whether good or bad descends from the spritual or the internal man. Thus it's only a sincere meditation of the word of God that can safeguard the will and action of the physical man, hence actions flows in from the will which is internal to the physical or the external man.
I will surely would like to have this book to read for myself, however I'll say a very big thanks for your nice review Drunyan.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

Thanks for bringing into the fore the teachings of this spiritual teacher.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”