Review by Dragonfly6 -- The Unbound Soul

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dragonfly6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonfly6.html
Latest Review: Why can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Review by Dragonfly6 -- The Unbound Soul

Post by Dragonfly6 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Unbound Soul: A Spiritual Memoir for Personal Transformation and Enlightenment by Richard L. Haight, is more than just a personal summary of the author's own spiritual oddessy. It describes the author's experiences and his thoughts about them, but he also dedicates much of the book to assisting the reader in applying and making sense of the same knowledge for his or her own life.

Given the title of the book, it is beneficial for the reader to begin with an open mind. Even if the reader has a solid sense of their own religion, faith or spirituality, it is a much more interesting read if he or she is open to what the author is conveying. There are parts of the book when not only passages from the Christian Bible are quoted, but teachings from Buddhism are also referenced. Although the author visited many locations over the years of this journey, there is quite a strong Asian and martial arts influence to his practice and teachings as well.

The book is divided into four parts. The first part consists of the author's story and how he came to know and understand the current life he lives and teaches. He discusses his early experiences and understanding of religion from when he was a young boy. He refers to specific experiences in the subsequent parts, but the majority of how he came to his own enlightenment is in part one. Mr. Haight describes the details of traversing the globe in order to follow his path and that his new knowledge is not only life-changing for him, but for others he may teach.

The remaining three parts in the book are all dedicated to the reader understanding this new information (enlightenment) and how to take the steps to begin transforming and incorporating it into his or her life. Although the author breaks the enormity of the subject matter into three parts: "The Path", "Daily Unfoldment" and "Soul and Spirit", the ideas and changes he describes for his "students" to make are drastic and complex.

I rate The Unbound Soul: A Spiritual Memoir for Personal Transformation and Enlightenment 3 out of 4 stars . The story the author shares of his personal journey to enlightenment and learning to answer his calling to teach others about this same path and knowledge is interesting and unusual. I also give Mr. Haight credit for tackling such an immense and abstract lot of information that is so diverse from what most of us are familiar with in religious or spiritual teachings.. In fact, to do so, he uses his own terms to describe things, such as: "Isness", "Unfoldment", and "inspirience". I found all of it to be too much and too confusing at times. I also thought that it was much too complex and involved to be able to put most of it into practice in daily living for someone wanting to do so. The book seems to be better utilized as a starting guide while the reader then pursues in-person coaching/teaching.

Although this book is self-published, one would never know it. There are very few errors and it is very well organized, with no pacing issues. Overall, it's an interesting read.

The Unbound Soul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Dragonfly6's review? Post a comment saying so!
"A room without books is like a body without a soul." ~ Cicero
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

Excellent review! Sadly, this doesn't sound like my kind of read. However, if I do come around and choose to give it a shot, I'll make sure to follow your advice and keep an open mind while reading this book :D Thank you!
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This does sound like an interesting and potentially inspiring book for its target audience. I must say, I'm not a huge fan of texts with religious influences, but it seems like Haight sincerely wants to help people achieve "personal transformation and enlightenment". I'll be giving this a pass since it's not really my cup of tea, but thank you for the lovely review!
chiefsimplex
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiefsimplex.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by chiefsimplex »

I also wrote a review on this book and i really had a hard time reading the philosophies therein.You are absolutely right about the reader having to be objective, the theme is potentially conflictual. However i admit that the read is really inspirational.Thanks for such interesting observations.
“So many books, so little time.”
― Frank Zappa
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This does sound like it would be an inspiring book for the reader who is willing to have an open mind. I think I will have to take a look at it. Good review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”