Official Review: The Pinochet Plot by David Myles Robinson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Official Review: The Pinochet Plot by David Myles Robinson

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Pinochet Plot" by David Myles Robinson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Riddle me this: what do a ruthless dictator, a college druggie, and a suicide note have in common? The answer’s simple: a connection to a Pinochet Plot. A fast-paced political thriller with an interesting premise and a main cast filled with people of colour, David Myles Robinson’s The Pinochet Plot is a refreshing read—and, considering the state of today’s social politics, an incredibly important story.

Let’s begin with a summary of the book. Our main character, Will Muñoz, is a successful attorney experiencing a bit of a mid-life crisis. Just as he’s about to take a break from his work at his law firm, the tragic news comes in that his mother has committed suicide…leaving behind only a single suicide note. The contents of that note? That she believes Will’s late father—previously thought to have been murdered in a burglary gone wrong—was assassinated by Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet for having written a novel depicting his depravity in all its gory glory.

The responsibility to solve the mystery once and for all falls to Will, but starting investigations means heading straight for trouble…

In other words, The Pinochet Plot is about Will investigating Pinochet’s plot to murder the man who wrote a literal Pinochet plot. (If that wordplay doesn’t deserve a hat-tip, I don’t know what does.) However, the book isn’t just a political thriller—it’s also a journey of realisations and self-discovery which readers embark on with our protagonist as he grows, falls in love, and ultimately finds closure for himself.

Puns, obviously, aren’t the only thing Robinson gets right in this book. The pacing is also done pretty well and gives readers time to get to know the main characters, delving deeper into their histories to show us previously-established relationships and connections. This helps ground the story, making it more realistic. The characters are also well-characterised; most of them have distinct personalities or ways of speaking, which makes the story that much more vivid. It definitely makes for a more immersive reading experience, which is undoubtedly a plus point!

Additionally, I really liked the representation in the book. The character cast is made up of people of colour, and there is representation for the LGBTQ community as well. The lives of the female characters don’t revolve around men either, which I was very happy to note while reading. The Pinochet Plot also takes a very clear stand on racism and other forms of discrimination, i.e. that they should not be condoned, which is a truly important message considering the society we live in today—so kudos to Robinson for that!

However, while there are many good things to be said about this book, I must admit that the writing falls a little flat when it comes to delivering emotional impact. Robinson’s words do a very good job of describing and explaining—his settings are detailed, and his sentences are clear—but as always, telling is not showing. As a result of this writing style, I couldn’t really empathise with the characters. This lack of emotional impact also meant, unfortunately, that I was not especially invested when it came to the romance. (Of course, it was a side plot, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t important, right?) That isn’t to say that The Pinochet Plot doesn’t have impactful scenes—there are one or two that remind me in particular of scenes from Angie Thomas’ The Hate U Give, a book which definitely left me feeling shaken.

Overall, I rate The Pinochet Plot 3 out of 4 stars. Although Robinson’s writing style isn’t quite suited to writing emotionally impactful scenes, it does a good job of carrying the story forward. The book also seems to be professionally edited! As such, I really would recommend this novel to those of you who like political thrillers—The Pinochet Plot is a good read if you’re reading for the plot.

The Pinochet Plot
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Ginnamassa19's review? Post a comment saying so!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Excellent review. I love the fact that the main protagonist brought closure to the mystery and finds love while doing so.
davidcoin
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by davidcoin »

Although the review looks too brief but at least there is a pointer to the fact that the main character made a head way at the end of the story.Nice work.
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

The book from what I have seen here has diversified excellently. I love books like that.

Beautiful review here...
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

From your review, this thriller sounds like it has a lot of plot twists--which I love! Thanks for the recommendation!
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thanks for the lovely review! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and it definitely seems like a great read!
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

The responsibility to solve the mystery once and for all falls to Will, but starting investigations means heading straight for trouble…
I loved your review, especially your summary. You made it seem worth reading, although I don't like the fact that it lacks emotional impact. Great review, though!
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

You are absolutely right - kudos to the author in taking a stand on issues that others shy away from. Aside from that, this sounds like a really good read! Thanks for your review - I enjoyed it :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

"In other words, The Pinochet Plot is about Will investigating Pinochet’s plot to murder the man who wrote a literal Pinochet plot. (If that wordplay doesn’t deserve a hat-tip, I don’t know what does.)"

Well done. :tiphat: Love your sense of humour and this review. Really enjoyed reading it.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

crediblereading2 wrote: 21 Jul 2018, 10:31 Excellent review. I love the fact that the main protagonist brought closure to the mystery and finds love while doing so.
Yeah, I like that too :D Thank you!
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

davidcoin wrote: 21 Jul 2018, 11:02 Although the review looks too brief but at least there is a pointer to the fact that the main character made a head way at the end of the story.Nice work.
Hahaha I try to keep my reviews short and sweet! Thank you for commenting :)
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

Dahmy 10 wrote: 21 Jul 2018, 16:17 The book from what I have seen here has diversified excellently. I love books like that.

Beautiful review here...
Yeah, there's a lot of diversification, which I'm really glad about! Thank you for your kind comment :D
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

Cecilia_L wrote: 21 Jul 2018, 21:52 From your review, this thriller sounds like it has a lot of plot twists--which I love! Thanks for the recommendation!
It was definitely an entertaining read! Thank *you* for commenting! :)
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

gen_g wrote: 22 Jul 2018, 01:44 Thanks for the lovely review! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and it definitely seems like a great read!
It is very good! Thank you for your kind comments :))
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

Bonnie Shelby wrote: 22 Jul 2018, 09:41
I loved your review, especially your summary. You made it seem worth reading, although I don't like the fact that it lacks emotional impact. Great review, though!
Ahh thank you! :D Yes, it was a good read apart from the whole emotional-impact thing, which I thought was quite a pity. :P
Last edited by Ginnamassa19 on 23 Jul 2018, 19:07, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”