Review by Al Chakauya -- Of Zots and Xoodles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Review by Al Chakauya -- Of Zots and Xoodles

Post by Al Chakauya »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Of Zots and Xoodles" by Zarqnon the Embarrassed.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever wondered why the universe is as it is today? Have you ever struggled to think why things work the way they do? Have you ever wondered why we are here? If your answer to these and other similar questions is YES! –don’t get worried because Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed is going to answer some of your questions in a unique and surprisingly fun way.

The book tells a story of Theodil. The setting is in a time outside of time and in a place outside of place. In this hilarious story, Theodil creates the universe using scientific methods in front of a committee. He uses dots (Zots) and noodles (Xoodles) to create the universe. The committee seems bored and constantly complains about his methodology.

The story is told in a casual and conversational manner –making it a pleasure to read. The imagery used is rather dull for my liking, but the dialogue is fun and entertaining. Some of the points in the book are confusing though somewhat easy to follow after flipping back a page or two. Though entertaining, the story does not flow as smoothly as other ordinary everyday stories that I am used to. The sentences ‘wiggle and wind’ like spaghetti roads –the plot might easily ‘slip’ out of your head.

The writer uses rhyme and personification among other literary devices. The author uses long sentences in some parts of the story. A couple of sentences are more than four lines long. I particularly came across a sentence with six lines - making meanings unclear. Let me hasten to say that, the illustrations are equally as important as the words if you are to realise what Theodil is creating. If you don’t slumber in concentration, you will definitely have a great time reading the book.

I recommend this book to those who enjoy dealing with scientific thought processes. Fanatics and students of physics who enjoy a spin of literature will also benefit from this book. Those with a short concentration span must stay away from this book –the long sentences and the language used will detract them from enjoying the book.

Of Zots and Xoodles is a short interactive story which is allegorical in nature. The book is both entertaining and educational. The long, winding sentences make reading overly detracting. Editing is flawless save for the difference in spelling on the author’s name on the cover page and on page six of the kindle version that I read. I also came across a typo on page 16. One typo would normally not be an issue, but in such a small book with long sentences, a single typo is overly detracting. Due to the reasons I have highlighted above, I rate Of Zots and Xoodles 3 out of 4 stars.

Of Zots and Xoodles
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Al Chakauya's review? Post a comment saying so!
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

Such an amazing plot deserves to be read. However, the problem with the long sentences might take away the fun in reading. I still think I will enjoy this book. Great review!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Yeah, run-on sentences are definitely a distraction. The concepts are very interesting though. Thank you for your honest review.
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R »

This seems like a fun little story that I could use to break up some of the more serious books I have read lately. I appreciate the "time outside of time" and "place outside of a place".
Thanks for the review!
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:

Post by Al Chakauya »

Laura Bach wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 12:59 Such an amazing plot deserves to be read. However, the problem with the long sentences might take away the fun in reading. I still think I will enjoy this book. Great review!
It's a great plot indeed, though the long sentences detract from the reading experience. Thanks for stopping by Laura Bach.
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:

Post by Al Chakauya »

crediblereading2 wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 14:05 Yeah, run-on sentences are definitely a distraction. The concepts are very interesting though. Thank you for your honest review.
It's a very interesting and unique concept which makes the reading experience enjoyable. Thanks for stopping by.
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:

Post by Al Chakauya »

abigailray1013 wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 14:10 This seems like a fun little story that I could use to break up some of the more serious books I have read lately. I appreciate the "time outside of time" and "place outside of a place".
Thanks for the review!
This is indeed a confusing but funny story with a great plot. What makes the story interesting is the unique concept used by the author.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

What the--? What is this--? I mean-- This book-- I don't really know what to think. :) And because of that, I agree with your recommendations. This seems like something that thinkers, especially those inclined toward "scientific thought processes," will likely enjoy. As for me, I don't think I'd make it halfway through. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this!
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

Who wouldn't want to read a book that answers all the deep questions of the universe? This sounds like a fun one. Nice review.
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:

Post by Al Chakauya »

Dael Reader wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 18:08 Who wouldn't want to read a book that answers all the deep questions of the universe? This sounds like a fun one. Nice review.
Thanks for stopping by, this is indeed a great read as long as you don't slumber in your concentration.
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:

Post by Al Chakauya »

inaramid wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 06:16 What the--? What is this--? I mean-- This book-- I don't really know what to think. :) And because of that, I agree with your recommendations. This seems like something that thinkers, especially those inclined toward "scientific thought processes," will likely enjoy. As for me, I don't think I'd make it halfway through. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this!
Thanks for stopping by Inaramid. This is not a book for everyone. You need to be inclined towards scientific thought processes and also have a bias towards literature to get the full benefits from this book.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

You are right, this is a unique science fiction book dealing with scientific thought process. I think it is a good book for those who scientific the descriptions from a new angle.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:

Post by Al Chakauya »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 01:24 You are right, this is a unique science fiction book dealing with scientific thought process. I think it is a good book for those who scientific the descriptions from a new angle.
You are spot-on Sarah Tariq, this is not a book for everyone but it's a good read all the same. Thanks for stopping by.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”