Review by trajoe1206 -- My Trip To Adele

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review by trajoe1206 -- My Trip To Adele

Post by trajoe1206 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My Trip to Adele by R.I. Alyaseer and A.I. Alyaseer follows the lives of three protagonists. Elias currently lives in Rome. He met Malika in Marrakesh and left her there 8 years ago. He finds that he cannot stop thinking about her. Yaser is married to Mariam. They live in Las Vegas. Their marriage is unhappy and as a last resort, they go to see a marriage counselor. Nadia lives in Amman and is a single mom with an 8-year-old son.

The 3 protagonists live in different parts of the world and do not know each other. What brings them together in this novel is that they all want to attend the Adele concert in Verona, Italy. Their reasons for wanting to attend are all different.

Each chapter of the book tells us more about the three protagonists. The interesting thing about this particular book is that each chapter is based on an Adele song, with the last lines of each chapter being the lyrics of that particular song. I thought this was a different and unique concept which I enjoyed.

Fans of Adele would definitely enjoy this book and also anyone who likes a quick read. One downfall of this book, for me, was the fact that it is only 227 pages long. I felt that the character development was hindered due to this. I would like to have got to know the protagonists and the people around them better. We never get to know much about Mariam, who is Yaser’s wife. In the opening chapter Elias is with Veronica, but we never learn who she is and the part she plays in Elias’s life. It is definitely a book which ends too soon. We learn through Elias’s story that Morocco has a big sex trade, especially where young girls are concerned and this may deter certain people from reading this book.

I enjoyed this book but would have liked there to be more to it in regards to length and character development. I liked that fact that the story was built around 3 main characters instead of one as that gave the book more variety, but more development was needed. I found very minimal errors, which did not detract from the flow of the story.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Although I did enjoy the book, I thought that there should have been more to it. Instead of getting meat and two veg, I only got one veg. I would like to have learned more about the individual characters. Elias confused me. He said that he loved Malika and yet he left her. I also am a little unsure about a grown man falling in love with a 13-year-old girl. These facts caused me to not give a perfect score. Kudos to the authors who translated the book into English and self-published.

My Trip To Adele
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like trajoe1206's review? Post a comment saying so!
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Interesting concept tying the book's chapters to Adele songs. I'm glad that concept was enjoyable for you. The storyline of this book hasn't captured my interest, maybe it is the lack of development that has held me back from wanting to pick this one up.

Nice review. Very clear indications as to why you didn't grant 4 stars despite liking the book overall. I particularly enjoyed your meat and vegetable analogy at the end :) Meat is essential.
trajoe1206

Post by trajoe1206 »

kfwilson6 wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 09:47 Interesting concept tying the book's chapters to Adele songs. I'm glad that concept was enjoyable for you. The storyline of this book hasn't captured my interest, maybe it is the lack of development that has held me back from wanting to pick this one up.

Nice review. Very clear indications as to why you didn't grant 4 stars despite liking the book overall. I particularly enjoyed your meat and vegetable analogy at the end :) Meat is essential.
Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Yes, meat is very important. Thanks for making me laugh :)
trajoe1206

Post by trajoe1206 »

kfwilson6 wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 09:47 Interesting concept tying the book's chapters to Adele songs. I'm glad that concept was enjoyable for you. The storyline of this book hasn't captured my interest, maybe it is the lack of development that has held me back from wanting to pick this one up.

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Yes, meat is very important. Thanks for making me laugh :)
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Thank you for sharing your unique take on the story. I've also read, reviewed, and loved this book, too, enough to even give it a perfect score. I could see where you're coming from when you gave it a rating less than mine. Indeed, we've got our own individual traits, upbringing, learning, life experiences, and propensities, which are reflected in our viewpoints and preferences. Such variations are not enough to justify being readily judgmental, though, so I also agree that getting to know a person better is a good option.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
trajoe1206

Post by trajoe1206 »

Espie wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 21:32 Thank you for sharing your unique take on the story. I've also read, reviewed, and loved this book, too, enough to even give it a perfect score. I could see where you're coming from when you gave it a rating less than mine. Indeed, we've got our own individual traits, upbringing, learning, life experiences, and propensities, which are reflected in our viewpoints and preferences. Such variations are not enough to justify being readily judgmental, though, so I also agree that getting to know a person better is a good option.
Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. It always good to hear others opinions :)
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Tying each chapter to song is unique. I like that. Also, your reference to one meat and one veg is a cute way to explain what was lacking.
trajoe1206

Post by trajoe1206 »

teacherjh wrote: 21 Jul 2018, 17:20 Tying each chapter to song is unique. I like that. Also, your reference to one meat and one veg is a cute way to explain what was lacking.
Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

An author can flesh out a character in 1 page, so it's a pity that these ones fell a bit flat. I've avoided this book because (cue the pitchforks) I am really not a fan of Adele. But your review has given me a bit more to go on as far as the rest of the book is concerned.
Meat and only one veg - hilarious :)
Great review.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
trajoe1206

Post by trajoe1206 »

Bianka Walter wrote: 22 Jul 2018, 05:26 An author can flesh out a character in 1 page, so it's a pity that these ones fell a bit flat. I've avoided this book because (cue the pitchforks) I am really not a fan of Adele. But your review has given me a bit more to go on as far as the rest of the book is concerned.
Meat and only one veg - hilarious :)
Great review.
Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. The lack of character development was a little disappointing.
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

Nice review. I like that each chapter has a tie into Adele's music, but it's a shame that it's not long enough to really get a feel for the characters.
KING FRANKLIN
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-king-franklin.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by KING FRANKLIN »

Thanks for the thorough review. I'm a huge fan of Adele so definitely I'm going to read the book. Also I think it has an interesting plot.
trajoe1206

Post by trajoe1206 »

Bonnie Shelby wrote: 22 Jul 2018, 20:44 Nice review. I like that each chapter has a tie into Adele's music, but it's a shame that it's not long enough to really get a feel for the characters.
Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Yes, it's a shame that the book is not longer so that we are able to get to know the characters better
trajoe1206

Post by trajoe1206 »

KING FRANKLIN wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 20:15 Thanks for the thorough review. I'm a huge fan of Adele so definitely I'm going to read the book. Also I think it has an interesting plot.
Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. It is a good book. I hope you enjoy it
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

I am always searching for an emotional connection whenever I start a new book, so I am a little hesitant to pick this one up now that you mention a lack of character description. Thank you for your excellent review!
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”