Official Review: Jamie Collins' Mystical Adventures: RING...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: Jamie Collins' Mystical Adventures: RING...

Post by Christina Rose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Jamie Collins' Mystical Adventures: RINGS OF ENCHANTMENT, Vol.2" by K. E. Boyer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jamie Collins is not your typical 12-year-old. Just last week, he discovered that he comes from a long line of wizards who have been helping the elves of the Gnome Nebula galaxy defend their worlds from the evil Ketch clan of wizards. This evil clan has been at odds with the Collins family for quite some time. During his first visit to Ninelands the week before, Jamie made the important decision to follow in the footsteps of those before him. Lucky for Jamie, he won't be going it alone. His sister Megan, along with his best friends Abby and Mike, have also decided to do their parts to help the elves and WIGS - Wizards In Good Standing. While Jamie trains in the Wizard Plenary Program to become a wizard, Megan, Abby, and Mike will train in the Children's Novice Program of Magic in order to assist Jamie as members of his team.

Rings Of Enchantment is the second installment in K.E. Boyer's fantasy series, Jamie Collins' Mystical Adventures. Like the first book of this series, the events within this book all take place in the time span of a single day. Jamie and his team have returned to Ninelands to begin their training. The children visit the various elf worlds of Gnome Nebula to find out how each one is special and unique, and also to learn about the work performed by the elves that live in each world. While visiting each elf world, Jamie is given a task to complete with the help of his team. These tasks enable the four children to learn important skills and further their magical abilities. Not surprisingly, before the day is done, Jamie is confronted by his enemy, Zard, who happens to be the future head of the Ketch clan of wizards. Will Jamie's magic be strong enough to keep this future Percovia at bay, or will Zard successfully overpower Jamie?

K.E. Boyer has written an engaging and creative story aimed at young fantasy fans ages 8 to 14 years. It is full of magic, colorful characters, and vivid descriptions. The author's own imagination really shines through in her writing. The reader can easily get lost in the mystical elf worlds full of charming characters. Young readers can relate to the wonder felt by Jamie and his team as they discover each new and interesting facet of these worlds. From flying spoons to trees that you can communicate with through your thoughts, each turn of the page delivers interesting surprises and creative content to capture and maintain the attention of readers.

Part of what I love and appreciate so much about this novel, is also what I think the latter part of the intended audience may find a bit constricting. Our middle-schoolers are already being exposed to epic battle scenes, and are experiencing the loss of beloved characters. The sheer positivity, and the almost gentle security, of this book may not be enough to hold their interests. On the other hand, this makes it ideal for the younger portion of the target age group. These budding fantasy readers can enjoy the incredible descriptions of fantastic worlds and mystical creatures without having to deal with the darker elements of this genre. Parents can rest assured that their child's imagination is being nourished while his or her innocence stays intact.

I really did enjoy this fanciful story, and I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. While the errors are not particularly distracting, because the young readers are still learning proper spelling and grammar, further editing would be beneficial to the book overall. K.E. Boyer has produced a great fantasy novel, and as the parent of an almost-8-year-old boy, I find no fault in it outside of minor errors and occasional typos. I would gladly give a copy of this book to my son. Rings Of Enchantment can be enjoyed in its own, but it definitely wouldn't hurt to read Ninelands first.

Jamie Collins' Mystical Adventures: RINGS OF ENCHANTMENT, Vol.2
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Christina Rose's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do like the fact that this focuses more on the positive aspects of this genre and leaves out some of the darker ones found in other novels. You're right. It would be good for the younger range. Harry Potter was great, but there were definitely dark elements there that weren't suitable for all children. Thanks for your review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

kandscreeley wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 15:29 I do like the fact that this focuses more on the positive aspects of this genre and leaves out some of the darker ones found in other novels. You're right. It would be good for the younger range. Harry Potter was great, but there were definitely dark elements there that weren't suitable for all children. Thanks for your review.
Harry Potter is huge in my household. We're all such science-fiction/fantasy geeks, lol. Those are books that I have read, and our teenage daughter has the series, but I'm not ready to buy the books for my sons yet. However, K.E. Boyer has captured all of the great world-building aspects, along with creative characters, in a book I wouldn't mind my boys reading once they are each ready for a more challenging chapter book.
Thank you for sharing your feedback! I always enjoy the insight you offer.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

On the other hand, this makes it ideal for the younger portion of the target age group. These budding fantasy readers can enjoy the incredible descriptions of fantastic worlds and mystical creatures without having to deal with the darker elements of this genre. Parents can rest assured that their child's imagination is being nourished while his or her innocence stays intact.
You raise an excellent point, and I agree. Thanks for the lovely review!
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

This review is lovely! While we have many books for young adult audiences featuring epic battles and adventures, there's immense need of more books in this genre for kids. This book sounds perfect. Thank you for your review!
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Cecilia_L wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 21:26
On the other hand, this makes it ideal for the younger portion of the target age group. These budding fantasy readers can enjoy the incredible descriptions of fantastic worlds and mystical creatures without having to deal with the darker elements of this genre. Parents can rest assured that their child's imagination is being nourished while his or her innocence stays intact.
You raise an excellent point, and I agree. Thanks for the lovely review!
Thank you for taking time to read my review and for sharing your thoughts!
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

dflanky247 wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 01:28 This review is lovely! While we have many books for young adult audiences featuring epic battles and adventures, there's immense need of more books in this genre for kids. This book sounds perfect. Thank you for your review!
Thank you! I agree; we could use more books within this genre suitable for younger readers. I love the YA fantasy novels personally, but my sons are too young to read those. This one is great.
Prabhas k mishra
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Prabhas k mishra »

It seems to be very awesome information. I also like fantasy novels.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Prabhas k mishra wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 03:19 It seems to be very awesome information. I also like fantasy novels.
Thank you. It was a fun book to read. :)
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

Part of what I love and appreciate so much about this novel, is also what I think the latter part of the intended audience may find a bit constricting. Our middle-schoolers are already being exposed to epic battle scenes, and are experiencing the loss of beloved characters. The sheer positivity, and the almost gentle security, of this book may not be enough to hold their interests. On the other hand, this makes it ideal for the younger portion of the target age group. These budding fantasy readers can enjoy the incredible descriptions of fantastic worlds and mystical creatures without having to deal with the darker elements of this genre. Parents can rest assured that their child's imagination is being nourished while his or her innocence stays intact.
I think this type of fantasy book might be very welcomed (to like you said), the younger age group or children that prefer a bit lighter fantasies. I like how you described it as a having "interesting surprises and creative content".
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by OloladeO »

It sounds like a good fantasy book for kids especially since it protects their innocence and leaves all the dark stuff out. Great review
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

LV2R wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 22:29
I think this type of fantasy book might be very welcomed (to like you said), the younger age group or children that prefer a bit lighter fantasies. I like how you described it as a having "interesting surprises and creative content".
Thanks so much for your feedback, and for taking time to read my review. :)
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

christabel88 wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 04:09 It sounds like a good fantasy book for kids especially since it protects their innocence and leaves all the dark stuff out. Great review
I thinks it's great for kids, as well. Thank you! :)
KarinaBordas
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karinabordas.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by KarinaBordas »

It is nice to hear that a novel in this genre remains positive and encouraging. While this seems to be the popular genre for kids in mid-elementary to middle school age, the messages are often littered with negativity and tension. Thanks for the great review!
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

KarinaBordas wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 20:56 It is nice to hear that a novel in this genre remains positive and encouraging. While this seems to be the popular genre for kids in mid-elementary to middle school age, the messages are often littered with negativity and tension. Thanks for the great review!
Thank you for taking the time to read my review, and for sharing your feedback!

Return to “Children's Books”