Official Review: REAP: A Jack Forester Thriller

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Official Review: REAP: A Jack Forester Thriller

Post by Jackie Holycross »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "REAP: A Jack Forester Thriller" by Frank J. Edwards.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Watch out James Patterson, there is another crime novelist in town! REAP by Frank J. Edwards is an amazing story with current issues, complex criminals, and a great storyline.

There are three sides to this story. First, you meet Robert Wayne McNultey, a military Veteran who is hired by an extreme religious organization to bomb a hospital. This is in protest to an experimental reproductive device program known as the Gilchrist Tube project housed there. This group is not the only one with questions about the experiments. Nirav Desai, a bioengineer on the project starts asking questions about the design. Soon after, he mysteriously disappears.

The second group of characters is the doctors and scientists working on the project as well as the organization that funded it. REAP, or Reproductive Eugenics Amelioration Project is interested in much more than helping women who are infertile due to fallopian tube problems. The group behind the Gilchrist Tube has some far-reaching societal changes in mind, and they are willing to hurt anyone that gets in their way.

Caught in the middle of all this are Dr. Jack Forester and his wife, Zellie. Jack has concerns about the Tube project, but he is more interested in keeping the staff safe and running his division of the hospital. Zellie also works for the hospital, but she used to be an investigative journalist. They both get involved in discovering who is terrorizing the hospital as well as what the project is hiding. In the end, it will endanger both them and their young child.

The plot of this book was extremely well done, and the characters were very believable. The action pulls the reader in and the pace keeps you interested. I liked how there were essentially two groups of bad guys, and although there was little mystery about who they were, their actions and motivations were intricate and often hidden. There were even a few surprises along the way. The character development though was the highlight of the book for me. Zellie Forester was my favorite. She is a deaf woman with a cochlear implant who discovers that she has an empathic sense about people when she turns the implant off. She is driven to find out the truth about Desai’s disappearance and fearlessly pursues it. Even minor characters are given quirky personalities and enough back-story for the reader to feel a connection to them. This author’s skill is evident in every chapter. This is a second novel using the Jack Forrester character, but I had no trouble understanding it without having read the first one.

The novel seems to have been professionally edited. I only saw one fragment and one missing period. However, I would suggest that the author put in a brief line break between dramatic scene changes. These shifts left me confused for a few lines each time. Still, I am rating this book as 4 out of 4 stars. The plot and the characters are so engaging. There is some violence, but it is not overly graphic. It is an amazing read for anyone who enjoys crime novels and/or medical stories.

REAP: A Jack Forester Thriller
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like teacherjh's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

Loved your review! I'm a fan of James Patterson's books as well, so this looks like something I'd enjoy.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Wow! Between the intriguing plot and the well-developed characters you described, I'm hooked! Thanks for the engaging review!
Jackie Holycross

Bonnie Shelby wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 14:06 Loved your review! I'm a fan of James Patterson's books as well, so this looks like something I'd enjoy.
It’s a great story. Enjoy.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review, it sounds like a fascinating story.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Jackie Holycross

Cecilia_L wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 19:26 Wow! Between the intriguing plot and the well-developed characters you described, I'm hooked! Thanks for the engaging review!
It was great to read one I thoroughly enjoyed.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like there are plenty of things happening to keep the reader involved in the story. I love that it involves current issues as well. All in all, it sounds really well done. Thanks so much for the information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

This book sounds amazing! I will definitely have to check this one out. Thanks for the great review!
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Sounds great! You do a good job describing the book but leave me wanting to know more which makes me want to read it! Thanks for the great review!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Zellie sounds super interesting. It's great when an author can create a truly unique character, especially in a book like this.
Great review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Jackie Holycross

Helen_Combe wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 00:47 Great review, it sounds like a fascinating story.
Thanks. It’s the best I’ve read in awhile.
Nakyanzi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nakyanzi »

it's great but tricky to understandthanks the author for writing
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I refuse to read books by James Patterson because of his practice of having other people do the writing for him. But this one sounds interesting to me! Thanks for the recommendation.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The story is very interesting and intriguing. That's good the plot is engaging with a good pace. Thanks for your thorough review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

Great review. This looks like a book I will have to check out

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”