Official Review: MoonHuntress by Connie Shipley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Official Review: MoonHuntress by Connie Shipley

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "MoonHuntress" by Connie Shipley.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Moonhuntress by Connie Shipley takes its readers on a journey around the world. It's an action-packed adventure covering distances from the streets of Tel Aviv to the beaches of Italy to the island of Guam and everywhere in between. A surprising blend of espionage with romance and a bit of science fiction.

Bina Knopfler is a Mossad agent. With her special agent duties come risks and adrenaline-filled scenes. Bina is assigned on numerous tasks to infiltrate countries and procure information, release hostages, and seduce powerful men. Readers are transported into Bina's world of intrigue. In addition to her own assignments, she has been sucked into a web of mystery, searching for her newfound friends's lost boyfriends, scientists who have disappeared. On top of all this, she is left to struggle with her own inner demons, her constant desire to know who she is and where she comes from, and her reluctance to let the men who love her into her life.

This is a very interesting story and the author does a good job of writing action-packed scenes that are mildly entertaining. However, there is a heavy reliance on dialogue and I found the description of places to be lacking. The author turns mostly to similes like, "The sonar system resembled the screens from The Matrix" and "The star systems resembled a symphony of neurons". I didn't feel as if these descriptions did much justice to the many interesting scenes the author was trying to depict. A lot of the technology and terminology was just glossed over. This could have been to coincide with the fast pace, but it just seemed puzzling to me as a reader.

My favorite part of this book was the travel aspect. I enjoyed reading about the different missions in various parts of the world. The author made it flow nicely and I did not get lost. My least favorite part was the romance. I suppose it is typical of an espionage tale, but I didn't appreciate how every man fell madly in love with Bina and she, in turn, with them. I just didn't find that part believable.

I give this book 2 out of 4 stars. It does have potential and the story is a good one. However, I did find numerous editing errors. There were lots of misplaced punctuation and an overuse of commas. I would recommend this book to fans of spy novels and action, but if you are looking for character depth and are put off by cheesy romance scenes, I would avoid it. The book does a good job setting itself up for subsequent novels of Bina's adventures. Alas, I was not hooked.

MoonHuntress
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like pricklypurple's review? Post a comment saying so!
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

'MoonHunter' sounds horror filled, but it doesn't seem to bear that parlance from what I have read here..

Reading it would depend on my mood. Thank you for this enlightenment!!!
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I would recommend this book to fans of spy novels and action, but if you are looking for character depth and are put off by cheesy romance scenes, I would avoid it.
Sounds like this one is not for me, but I appreciate your honest review!
Paiges-reads
Favorite Book: Immortals' Requiem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paiges-reads.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Paiges-reads »

I do like action and spy books, so this one seems interesting but sometimes I find romance to be overdone and from what you say this book does it. Still, this does sound interesting so I might have a look. Thanks for the review!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

A blend of espionage, romance, and science fiction sounds interesting. It’s too bad about the poor editing and shallow characters. It had a promising basis! Thanks for sharing your insights!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

stacie k wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 00:55 A blend of espionage, romance, and science fiction sounds interesting. It’s too bad about the poor editing and shallow characters. It had a promising basis! Thanks for sharing your insights!
Yes, it is unfortunate. I had high hopes for this one.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”