American Foods

Welcome to The Book, Cook, and Crafts, the place where lovers of cooking can share cool recipes, get advice on cooking techniques and tips, recommend great cooking books, and chat about food. Also, members can discuss crafty things here.
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Re: American Foods

Post by Lil Reads »

I'm an American and I have to go with the crowd here - corn dogs, fried chicken, and jello.

For everyone who has a bad Jello salad experience, I really recommend not looking through American cookbooks from the 1950s. Victorian England may have started the weird Jello trend, but America in the 1950s sort of raised it to an art form. It really is more an art form than anything else. To be fair, savory Jello was available and some of the Jello salads with meat and savory Jello might have been less disgusting.

I think some regional dishes, such as Scrapple, grits, avocado, bacon wrapped anything, and similar are really American. I also think fusion cuisines should be considered American.
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

I'm American, but I live in Ireland. Anything sweet and salty is very American. When I told my husband about PB&J sandwiches, he looked at me like I was nuts. He said he genuinely believed it was a joke and there was no way people could like it. Also, sweet potato casserole with marshmallows on top was too sweet for his family (except his grandad who loves sweets) when I made it one year for Christmas. I remember a conversation with my mother-in-law who talked about how she went to Seattle and at breakfast, there was always something sweet on her plate for breakfast, even if it was a savory breakfast.

Pumpkin spice is a huge thing I miss in the fall. I practically begged my mom to send me anything pumpkin spice last fall because I missed it so much. Pumpkin pie is hard to get, but there's a man who owns a cafe in town and he serves pumpkin pie. His wife is American, so she makes American styled desserts for the cafe. Also pancakes are different out here. Not sure if it's like this in the rest of Europe, but the pancakes they have here are almost like crepes, but not quite. When I go to the store, I can buy specifically "American Pancakes" that are fluffy, but I tend to just make my own from scratch.

God, the list can go on and on. I just got a package from home today, and there was a box of Cheez-Its inside it. I'm going to happily devour those today.
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
juliamenez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliamenez.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by juliamenez »

American nationality.

I love BBQ, boxed Mac and cheese, and dinner rolls! Really, anything that resembles Thanksgiving side dishes holds a special place in my stomach.
Sarah Starling
Favorite Author: Alix E. Harrow
Favorite Book: Starling House
Currently Reading: Love and Other Words
Bookshelf Size: 10084
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-starling.html
Latest Review: Cell Biology For Babies by Dr. Haitham Ahmed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 176795

Post by Sarah Starling »

Lil Reads wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 00:20 I'm an American and I have to go with the crowd here - corn dogs, fried chicken, and jello.

For everyone who has a bad Jello salad experience, I really recommend not looking through American cookbooks from the 1950s. Victorian England may have started the weird Jello trend, but America in the 1950s sort of raised it to an art form. It really is more an art form than anything else. To be fair, savory Jello was available and some of the Jello salads with meat and savory Jello might have been less disgusting.

I think some regional dishes, such as Scrapple, grits, avocado, bacon wrapped anything, and similar are really American. I also think fusion cuisines should be considered American.
I really want to look through one of those cookbooks now! Poodle Skirts and Jello Salads...the 50s were a wild time!

What's Scrapple? I've never even heard of it.
Lil Reads

Post by Lil Reads »

StarkidStarling wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 09:47
Lil Reads wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 00:20 I'm an American and I have to go with the crowd here - corn dogs, fried chicken, and jello.

I really want to look through one of those cookbooks now! Poodle Skirts and Jello Salads...the 50s were a wild time!

What's Scrapple? I've never even heard of it.
They really were wild times - rock music was becoming very popular, cars changed how people traveled, and more.

Scrapple is sort of a Pennsylvania Dutch/Mennonite/Amish dish that combines pork scraps with seasoning, breadcrumbs, and oats into a loaf. It is sort of a hybrid of Spam and meatloaf. While I have never had it, it is now more readily available commercially (I think it is even available in my local grocery stores and I'm nowhere near Pennsylvania). The Food Network and some other cooking websites have recipes for it too.
Lil Reads

Post by Lil Reads »

Eryn Bradshaw wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 07:30 I'm American, but I live in Ireland. Anything sweet and salty is very American. When I told my husband about PB&J sandwiches, he looked at me like I was nuts. He said he genuinely believed it was a joke and there was no way people could like it. Also, sweet potato casserole with marshmallows on top was too sweet for his family (except his grandad who loves sweets) when I made it one year for Christmas. I remember a conversation with my mother-in-law who talked about how she went to Seattle and at breakfast, there was always something sweet on her plate for breakfast, even if it was a savory breakfast.

Pumpkin spice is a huge thing I miss in the fall. I practically begged my mom to send me anything pumpkin spice last fall because I missed it so much. Pumpkin pie is hard to get, but there's a man who owns a cafe in town and he serves pumpkin pie. His wife is American, so she makes American styled desserts for the cafe. Also pancakes are different out here. Not sure if it's like this in the rest of Europe, but the pancakes they have here are almost like crepes, but not quite. When I go to the store, I can buy specifically "American Pancakes" that are fluffy, but I tend to just make my own from scratch.

God, the list can go on and on. I just got a package from home today, and there was a box of Cheez-Its inside it. I'm going to happily devour those today.
Is PB big in the UK? I seem to remember when I was on a school trip to the UK that although there were plenty of ready made sandwiches, none had PB.

MMMmmm Pumpkin! Are you more fond of the products with more spice or more pumpkin flavor?
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

Lil Reads wrote: 17 Jul 2018, 22:47
Eryn Bradshaw wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 07:30 I'm American, but I live in Ireland. Anything sweet and salty is very American. When I told my husband about PB&J sandwiches, he looked at me like I was nuts. He said he genuinely believed it was a joke and there was no way people could like it. Also, sweet potato casserole with marshmallows on top was too sweet for his family (except his grandad who loves sweets) when I made it one year for Christmas. I remember a conversation with my mother-in-law who talked about how she went to Seattle and at breakfast, there was always something sweet on her plate for breakfast, even if it was a savory breakfast.

Is PB big in the UK? I seem to remember when I was on a school trip to the UK that although there were plenty of ready made sandwiches, none had PB.

MMMmmm Pumpkin! Are you more fond of the products with more spice or more pumpkin flavor?
PB definitely isn't as big in the UK as it is in America, but my husband likes to have peanut butter sandwiches where he puts peanut butter on both sides of the bread. It's too much for me personally.

It's definitely the spice in pumpkin spice. I've made my own. But pumpkin pie is pretty satisfying as well. And pumpkin soup if I want something a little more savoury. I've had to replace it with butternut squash out here. It's not bad but not pumpkin.
Lil Reads

Post by Lil Reads »

Eryn Bradshaw wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 04:29

PB definitely isn't as big in the UK as it is in America, but my husband likes to have peanut butter sandwiches where he puts peanut butter on both sides of the bread. It's too much for me personally.

It's definitely the spice in pumpkin spice. I've made my own. But pumpkin pie is pretty satisfying as well. And pumpkin soup if I want something a little more savoury. I've had to replace it with butternut squash out here. It's not bad but not pumpkin.
So it is really the combo of jam or jelly with the peanut butter that threw him for a loop? My PB&J sandwiches are actually like your husband's - I need PB on both pieces of bread since most jam or jelly is so sweet and runny.

I tend to favor the pumpkin side of the pumpkin spice, such as soup since it is hearty, but not as heavy as some winter soups. I guess since pumpkin is native to the US and not the UK, they tend to favor other squash.
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

Lil Reads wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 15:16

So it is really the combo of jam or jelly with the peanut butter that threw him for a loop? My PB&J sandwiches are actually like your husband's - I need PB on both pieces of bread since most jam or jelly is so sweet and runny.

I tend to favor the pumpkin side of the pumpkin spice, such as soup since it is hearty, but not as heavy as some winter soups. I guess since pumpkin is native to the US and not the UK, they tend to favor other squash.
Mine is usually one-sided, but with only a smear of jam on the other. Enough to sweeten it. But yeah, jam goes on scones. Get a nice cream tea (scone, jam, and clotted cream). Or on toast.

Plenty of squash out here definitely. Thought I've struggled to find acorn or spaghetti squash out in Ireland. I'll have to check the UK supermarkets when I move back there. There's a lot more variety there than Ireland because of import cost.
Lil Reads

Post by Lil Reads »

Eryn Bradshaw wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 16:00

Mine is usually one-sided, but with only a smear of jam on the other. Enough to sweeten it. But yeah, jam goes on scones. Get a nice cream tea (scone, jam, and clotted cream). Or on toast.

Plenty of squash out here definitely. Thought I've struggled to find acorn or spaghetti squash out in Ireland. I'll have to check the UK supermarkets when I move back there. There's a lot more variety there than Ireland because of import cost.
Exactly; just a dash of sweetness. Cream tea is awesome and I really need to make some clotted cream so I can have a cream tea at home.

So which types of squash is readily available in Ireland?
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

Lil Reads wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 17:59

Exactly; just a dash of sweetness. Cream tea is awesome and I really need to make some clotted cream so I can have a cream tea at home.

We really don't get much. We've got zucchini, butternut, and yellow squash. Compares to American supermarkets, it's sad. I had a hard time finding peaches at one point. But we get plenty of potatoes and beef. 😂
Lil Reads

Post by Lil Reads »

Eryn Bradshaw wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 05:31

We really don't get much. We've got zucchini, butternut, and yellow squash. Compares to American supermarkets, it's sad. I had a hard time finding peaches at one point. But we get plenty of potatoes and beef. 😂
I guess squash is really native to North America. :eusa-think: Now, peaches really throws me for a loop - they originated in China; I guess I assumed that the UK would have more access to fruit via European markets. I'm jealous about your access to blackcurrants though! :) Ha! Though I bet there is more variety than here.
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

Lil Reads wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 20:44
Eryn Bradshaw wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 05:31

I guess squash is really native to North America. :eusa-think: Now, peaches really throws me for a loop - they originated in China; I guess I assumed that the UK would have more access to fruit via European markets. I'm jealous about your access to blackcurrants though! :) Ha! Though I bet there is more variety than here.
I'm sure the UK does. Ireland isn't part of the UK though. Northern Ireland is. Haven't checked things out there though. Black currants are lovely. And sloes as well. We made sloe gin and it's one of my favourites! I do miss huckleberries though.
Bukari
Currently Reading: Everything Solid Has a Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukari.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Bukari »

Wow! I know the origin of most of the diets in America are made of corn, especially I think of corn-pizza. I am from Ghana, and we also enjoy diets made of corn.
"Ever Tried. Ever Failed. No Matter. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better." - Samuel Beckett.
Charlaigne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlaigne.html
Latest Review: Reaching the Shore by Davin Jake Douma and BonnieJane Hall

Post by Charlaigne »

Oh I forgot, buffalo wings! Probably my fave American food.

Return to “Book, Cook, and Crafts”