Official Review: Stronger Than Tyranny

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Official Review: Stronger Than Tyranny

Post by inaramid »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Stronger Than Tyranny" by Ernesto Diaz-Rodriguez.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What would you do in the next 22 years and 3 months of your life? That’s more than enough time to build a career, raise a family, volunteer for a cause, or maybe spend a few years abroad. It’s a long time to live your life the way you want to.

Writer and poet Ernesto Diaz Rodriguez wasn’t afforded the right to contemplate his own future. In 1968, at the age of 29, he was imprisoned for being a threat to the “integrity and stability” of his own country. He was 51 when he was finally released—22 years and 3 months after his detainment. Stronger Than Tyranny: Political Prisoners in Cuba recounts those intervening years, with Rodriguez held as a political prisoner under Fidel Castro’s dictatorial reign. Originally written on scraps of paper that were then smuggled out of prison, Stronger Than Tyranny is a compendium of harrowing stories that lays bare the extremes of human nature, where endurance, conviction, and brotherhood stand in stark contrast to the equally human traits of indifference, cruelty, and barbarism.

When I started reading this book, I braced myself for the (very likely) possibility of coming across graphic scenes of torture, of people being stripped of their humanity. After all, doesn’t dehumanization go hand-in-hand with tyranny? Rodriguez, however, leaves the things that happen in the punishment pavilions (ironically dubbed “human rights” by the prisoners) to the reader’s imagination. What he chooses to divulge instead are much simpler—but surprisingly much worse.

In narrating his and his fellow prisoners’ ordeal, Rodriguez anatomizes the concept of freedom down to the basics. As he details what they’d lost with their imprisonment, he reframes freedom in ways that are more disturbing than the gruesome scenarios I’d been expecting. Freedom is having privacy, the right to communicate with your friends and family, the choice to stay or leave. To be free is to revel in the simple matters of living—having decent food to eat, water to bathe with, a bed to sleep in. Freedom is never having to notice such insignificant matters as the lack of cutleries, pillows, or clean underwear. Freedom is requisite to being human.

Rodriguez depicts his incarceration with all the mastery of a painter capturing a scene on canvas. I was especially moved by the way Rodriguez described the fate of Pedro Luis Boitel—a student leader who went on a hunger strike for 52 days, fell into a coma, and eventually died. Of this young revolutionary, Rodriguez writes:
“Pedro Luis’s arm dangled down, which, given the careless progress of the guards, swung like a slow pendulum, like the pendulum of a clock that has exhausted all its cord and is about to stop. A lieutenant with a protruding belly…lifted the bony limb back onto the bed of the dying one.”
The narrative is often poignant, heartrending, with a smidgen of wry humor in between. It’s also factual, exhaustive, even a little dry in some places. It often reads like poetry…but also very much like a court affidavit. Names are painstakingly documented; dates and times of events are specified; and conversations are almost verbatim. Nothing appears to be embellished. Everything is just what it is. There’s an undercurrent of something here, perhaps a fear of forgetting—or of being forgotten. Far from bogging down the narrative, however, this approach further immerses the reader in Rodriguez’s memories and makes his experiences feel more real.

If half points were allowed, I would have rated Stronger Than Tyranny 3.5 stars. Despite the strength of the writing and the gravity of the book’s message, the text is not as well edited as I’d hoped. There were missing punctuation marks, missing articles and prepositions, and a few confused words. The book was translated from the author’s native language, so these problems may just be an issue with the translation.

I give Stronger Than Tyranny a final rating of 3 out of 4 stars. The plight of Rodriguez and his fellow plantados—the “rooted ones” or those who refused to relinquish the fight against oppression—must be heard. This is a book for anyone who fears for their country’s future. This is for people who wish to know what it takes to fight tyranny. This is for anyone who simply wishes to find proof of the “indomitable nature of the human spirit.” You don’t have to love history to appreciate the value of this book. You don’t even have to be Cuban. You just have to be human.

Stronger Than Tyranny
View: on Bookshelves

Like inaramid's review? Post a comment saying so!
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

This almost sounds like Nelson Mandela's book 'Long walk to freedom'. This is definitely a must read to me. Thank you for your insightful review on this.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

This book that encourages brotherhood and courage sounds like a best-seller. I truly enjoy your review.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 04:13 This almost sounds like Nelson Mandela's book 'Long walk to freedom'. This is definitely a must read to me. Thank you for your insightful review on this.
I definitely agree with ParadoxicalWoman! These heavy topics need to be addressed honestly and I'm glad that the book seems to do so. I am putting this on my to-read list. Thank you for such a brilliantly written review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It is sad when a book that has such a meaningful message is brought down by poor editing. Still, it sounds like it's very worth sifting through the grammatical missteps. Thanks so much for the information. I do feel sorry for the author and the time he lost.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
AWANDO OGUTU
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-awando-ogutu.html
Latest Review: Brand Real by Vasken Kalayjian

Post by AWANDO OGUTU »

Stronger than tyranny is an inspiring book. The author describes his experiences as a political prisoner in Cuba. He is critical of Fidel Castro tyrannical regime and that makes him to be imprisoned for 22 years. That's surely a long time. This is what actually happens in dictatorial societies.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

inaramid wrote: 14 May 2018, 04:10 There’s an undercurrent of something here, perhaps a fear of forgetting—or of being forgotten. Far from bogging down the narrative, however, this approach further immerses the reader in Rodriguez’s memories and makes his experiences feel more real ...
This is a book for anyone who fears for their country’s future. This is for people who wish to know what it takes to fight tyranny. This is for anyone who simply wishes to find proof of the “indomitable nature of the human spirit.” You don’t have to love history to appreciate the value of this book. You don’t even have to be Cuban. You just have to be human.
Wow. If the book is near as good as your review, I want to read it. Thanks for the recommendation!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
peter-sharp
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by peter-sharp »

i love this book itz was very interesting to me.... Stronger than tyranny is an inspiring book. The
author describes his experiences as a political
prisoner in Cuba. He is critical of Fidel Castro
tyrannical regime and that makes him to be
imprisoned for 22 years.
Litin Thakur
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Litin Thakur »

i love this book itz was very interesting to me....Stronger than Tyranny is an inspiring book. The author describes his experiences as a political prisoner in Cuba. He is critical of Fidel Castro tyrannical regime and that makes him to be imprisoned for 22 years. That's surely a long time. This is what actually happens in dictatorial societies.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

The book speaks volumes. Freedom is part of being human and anyone person or country who takes that away isn't human. You often wonder what happens to people in other countries who get arrested for no reason simply because they have a different point of view than their leader. The book sounds like a rough read, dealing with people who are arrested and possibly tortured but strong and eye opening.
inaramid

Post by inaramid »

Thanks for the comments, everyone! I've read this book a while back and was pleasantly surprised to see my review published.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Thanks for this perfect review! Its truly a heart wrenching story. A man who passed 22 years of his life in a prison, what is left behind... Horrible. But unfortunately it is common for political prisoners as they are kept in detention for as long as the ruling party rules.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
inaramid

Post by inaramid »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 07 Jul 2018, 10:49 Thanks for this perfect review! Its truly a heart wrenching story. A man who passed 22 years of his life in a prison, what is left behind... Horrible. But unfortunately it is common for political prisoners as they are kept in detention for as long as the ruling party rules.
Indeed, I have come to a new appreciation of the horrors political prisoners undergo. Thanks for dropping by.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

Wow! I Love how you end your review."You dont have to be cuban,just human."You sold me with this statement. 22 years and 3 months is quite a long time.Its stories like this that remind us to be grateful and make good use of the time we have.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
inaramid

Post by inaramid »

Faithmwangi wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 14:18 Wow! I Love how you end your review."You dont have to be cuban,just human."You sold me with this statement. 22 years and 3 months is quite a long time.Its stories like this that remind us to be grateful and make good use of the time we have.
Thank you :). Despite some flaws, the book moved me.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”