Official Review: Zertone by Amanda K. Rivers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
SamSim
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samsim.html
Latest Review: A Bell For Jimmy by Theo Wadsworth
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: Zertone by Amanda K. Rivers

Post by SamSim » 11 Jul 2018, 16:18

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Zertone" by Amanda K. Rivers.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sixteen-year-old Evelyn Anderson chafes against the monotony of her life. Every day, she drives her beat-up van to school and back in a well-worn, rutted pattern that rarely changes. Bewildered by the motivations and interests of other teenagers, her social life leaves much to be desired. Evelyn's passions are fitness and martial arts, so her after-school self-defense class is the highlight of her otherwise dull day. She longs for adventure, for the extraordinary. At least there's an upside to having a predictable existence: No unwanted surprises, right? Wrong. Evelyn's hopes for the freedom of summer vacation are dashed when she arrives home on the last day of the school year to find out that her father has arranged her a summer job at a local boating business owned by a family friend. Evelyn dutifully reports for work the following day, spending the first morning learning her new job and daydreaming of her first purchase with her earnings: A vehicle that is rust-free. She soon finds herself out on the ocean for the first time, thrilled as her boss shows her how to steer the boat and gives her the wheel. Having discovered her latent love for the ocean, Evelyn starts to look forward to coming into work every day. But the sea is unpredictable, and a sudden, freak storm throws her overboard.

She awakens in the forest, having been inexplicably transported to the land of Zertone, in an entirely different world populated by humans and mysterious, elemental animals. She befriends Sam, a teenage native of Zertone who has never heard of Earth, after helping him defeat dangerous, bear-like creatures that were attacking him. Sam, a soldier and gifted swordsman, is a member of an underground resistance force bent on defeating the traitorous King Zerka, whose army has taken to needlessly murdering innocent civilians. Sam's first quest is to locate and subdue "the demon," the last of the feared Ferjians, a race of grey-skinned, purple-eyed humans with wondrous powers that have been in hiding for over a century. Legend holds that the evil Ferjians' magical gifts were bestowed on them by the dragons, and they use their abilities to destroy. Sam intends to capture the Ferjian before the king can. Evelyn joins his cause, and together they find what they're looking for ... And far more than they ever imagined.

Zertone, by Amanda K. Rivers, is a young-adult fantasy novel that explores themes such as friendship, loyalty, and self-sacrifice in an interesting spin on the classic good-versus-evil framework. My favorite positives to this book are the apparently element-based creatures that our heroes encounter, the varied landscapes and climates (from blustery mountainside to lush jungle) that they cross in their journey, and the overarching idea that one shouldn't judge a person by appearance or reputation. It is clean, never too graphic, the writing style is straight-forward without being too simplistic, and despite the fact that the people of Zertone have a pre-electricity culture, they speak modern English. This, to me, is a pro for the prospective young-adult readers, but also a con due to the questions it raises that ultimately hurt the believability of the story.

Which brings me to the negatives. Zertone spawns more questions than it answers and much is left unexplored that I was eager to learn more about. Elaborating on this problem is probably best done through a sample of the questions I asked myself while reading it. Why do the people of Zertone speak modern English (including slang such as "Duh")? How exactly did Evelyn end up there in the first place? Why would Sam, on a dangerous mission for an "entirely secret" army whose goal is to subvert the "evil tyrant," just divulge his identity, affiliation, and his quest to Evelyn right after meeting her? Wouldn't he be more suspicious of strangers or protective of information he admits is potentially fatal? Why, after a month of searching for Evelyn, would the police have simply left her van parked where it was on the day of her disappearance? Most notably, why didn't the antagonist kill them all when he had the chance, eliminating the threat, rather than jailing them? This is not a comprehensive list of the nagging questions that are never addressed in this book. To list more would be to include spoilers.

Further undermining the realism is the fact that, in my opinion, many events are just too convenient to be believable. In general, no one Evelyn and Sam encounter, other than blatant enemies, puts up much resistance before simply handing over the information or supplies that they need. When they stop at the home of Sam's friend, Byron, to ask if they can borrow his boat, Byron barely questions the fact that Sam is carrying an unconscious, dreaded Ferjian before giving them the boat outright, saying he never uses it. When Sam is seriously injured on the battlefield, Evelyn runs to the nearest village for help and the first door she knocks on happens to be the home of the local medic. Also, without giving too much away, let's just say that Vern, the Ferjian, seems to spontaneously develop new powers just as they become necessary.

While not completely undescriptive, Zertone frequently lacks details, which limited my ability to be absorbed in the story. For example, the reader is given little to no backstory for any of the characters, which was especially disappointing because I would assume that the many miles of walking and almost a month of imprisonment together would allow for a lot of conversational exposition and bonding. Unfortunately, our heroes experience all this out of earshot of the reader. Sometimes the lack of details regarding the characters' movements and immediate surroundings created issues with continuity, which was confusing. Most of the action, such as the battle scenes, felt rushed. All of this, when added to the fact that there were enough punctuation errors and spelling typos to cost the book a star, really hurts the execution of what I thought was a great, although not entirely new, premise. As a result, I am giving Zertone 2 out of 4 stars, and I would suggest it to young-adult fantasy lovers looking for a light read.

Zertone
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like SamSim's review? Post a comment saying so!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:

Morgan Jones
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Of Free Will And Providence by Chip Byers

Post by Morgan Jones » 13 Jul 2018, 08:35

Unfortunately, this genre is not really my type but this was a great review! Good job!
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon

gen_g
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: Sanguine-love by Iva Schubart

Post by gen_g » 13 Jul 2018, 08:57

Thank you for the lovely review! It sounds like an amazing read tbh, but the convenient plot points are a turn-off.

Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading: In a Cottage In a Wood
Bookshelf Size: 327
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: The Face of Fear by R. J. Torbert
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Bianka Walter » 13 Jul 2018, 09:51

I hate it when a story is unrealistic. Sure, it's a fantasy, so it's not based on life. But when you say the van just stayed there - that's not real.
Great review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss

daydreaming reader
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: The Face of Fear by R. J. Torbert

Post by daydreaming reader » 13 Jul 2018, 10:05

Oh, the plot sounded interesting but the negatives are a complete turn off. Thank you for the great review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche

ButterscotchCherrie
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 104
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 61
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: The Jolliest Term on Record
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: Finding Paris A Menior of Hope by Paris Broker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ButterscotchCherrie » 13 Jul 2018, 11:51

It sounds as if this works as a light read, but the contrived parts, like finding a doctor right away just when needed, would annoy me too. Great review, though!

SamSim
Currently Reading:

Post by SamSim » 13 Jul 2018, 13:03

Morgan Jones wrote:
13 Jul 2018, 08:35
Unfortunately, this genre is not really my type but this was a great review! Good job!
Yeah, it's not for everybody. Thanks for reading and replying!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."

SamSim
Currently Reading:

Post by SamSim » 13 Jul 2018, 13:05

ButterscotchCherrie wrote:
13 Jul 2018, 11:51
It sounds as if this works as a light read, but the contrived parts, like finding a doctor right away just when needed, would annoy me too. Great review, though!
There were many instances like that, unfortunately. :roll2: Thanks for reading and commenting!
Samantha Simoneau

SamSim
Currently Reading:

Post by SamSim » 13 Jul 2018, 13:06

daydreaming reader wrote:
13 Jul 2018, 10:05
Oh, the plot sounded interesting but the negatives are a complete turn off. Thank you for the great review.
I agree and I hope the author revisits it. After some tweaking and fleshing-out, it has the potential for awesomeness. Thanks for reading and replying!
Samantha Simoneau

SamSim
Currently Reading:

Post by SamSim » 13 Jul 2018, 13:07

Bianka Walter wrote:
13 Jul 2018, 09:51
I hate it when a story is unrealistic. Sure, it's a fantasy, so it's not based on life. But when you say the van just stayed there - that's not real.
Great review!
That, in particular, frustrated me as well. There were more glaring examples, but they would give too much away if I had featured them. Thanks for reading and commenting!
Samantha Simoneau

SamSim
Currently Reading:

Post by SamSim » 13 Jul 2018, 13:08

gen_g wrote:
13 Jul 2018, 08:57
Thank you for the lovely review! It sounds like an amazing read tbh, but the convenient plot points are a turn-off.
My sentiments exactly. I'm glad you enjoyed my review and thanks for commenting!
Samantha Simoneau

crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 » 13 Jul 2018, 14:36

It is such a pity that the book lacks details and continuity because it is such a beautiful plot. Thank you for your very balanced review.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading: In Search of Love’s Treasure
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: The Mist Rises Over Notchey Creek by Liz Andrews

Post by Cecilia_L » 13 Jul 2018, 14:45

It does sound like this fantasy prompted more questions than it answered. The introduction to the plot sounded quite interesting. It's a shame that there were so many unrealistic issues and gaps in the story. Thanks for your honest review!

SamSim
Currently Reading:

Post by SamSim » 13 Jul 2018, 15:42

crediblereading2 wrote:
13 Jul 2018, 14:36
It is such a pity that the book lacks details and continuity because it is such a beautiful plot. Thank you for your very balanced review.
Yes, with more work, it could be amazing. Thanks for reading and replying!
Samantha Simoneau

SamSim
Currently Reading:

Post by SamSim » 13 Jul 2018, 15:45

Cecilia_L wrote:
13 Jul 2018, 14:45
It does sound like this fantasy prompted more questions than it answered. The introduction to the plot sounded quite interesting. It's a shame that there were so many unrealistic issues and gaps in the story. Thanks for your honest review!
Yeah, I hate it when a story undermines its own realism. I read because I want the stories to feel possible. There is a certain amount of suspension of disbelief, but there's also a point after which I just start rolling my eyes. Thank you for reading my review and commenting!
Samantha Simoneau

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”