Official Review: It's My Party by Jeannette Watson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Re: Official Review: It's My Party by Jeannette Watson

Post by Kister Bless »

The book sounds interesting. Depression is a major problem that affects people in their daily lives. Sad enough is that they don't know how to deal with it. I love how the theme of depression was brought up because the book can be fit for anyone, young adults and adults. I would like to read it and know more of the author's life for it sounds confessional to some extent. A great book worth read. Nice review!
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
SaffraWhishart
Currently Reading: The Candle Room
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saffrawhishart.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by SaffraWhishart »

I only read the beginning of the book, but I had a very different feel from what you describe. I didn't catch the moroseness at all. In fact, I loved that she opened with a description of her undecorous laugh. I enjoyed the author's candor about her life. I was curious, but knowing it's about depression makes me less likely to read it.
Mary WhiteFace
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

Your review was interesting, but I'm really not interested in reading a book about depression. I feel for people who suffer through it, and I'm sure this book will be of value to someone who needs to hear her story. I just want something a little more uplifting and fun.
Thank you for your insightful review. 💕
az+12_4
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by az+12_4 »

Author has beautifully penned down her story of depression and her journey of fighting the depression.Depression had hit many people and definitely this book will help them.😊
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Wow! The subject matter resonated with me deeply. This would be my first book where the author frankly talks about depression and the eventual healing. I believe this is going to be a read of a lifetime for many of us who, no matter whether we admit it or not, actually suffer from depression. Thanks for the review!
Karencantley1
Favorite Book: The Prize
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karencantley1.html
Latest Review: Going Gone by Abraham Lopez

Post by Karencantley1 »

An interesting and somewhat inspirational story centred around the toll that depression takes on those who suffer from it as well as those around them. It will appeal to many.
PriyankaBhowmick
Favorite Book: Damn the cancer
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka-bhowmick.html
Latest Review: White Night by J.J. Holt

Post by PriyankaBhowmick »

It's My Party by Jeannette Watson...is really heart touching story ...in present world mental illness or depression is one of the biggest problems...the author was also suffering that...and in this story, we can see how Jeannette Watson suffers that and how she came out from it... I really love this story
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

This person's life sounds interesting and like an important read for understanding depression. However, if the depression really radiates from the book like you said, I don't know if I'm emotionally able to handle it. I won't entirely write it off, but I'll have to be in a certain mood in order to read it. Thank you for the helpful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
Gracie777
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gracie777.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gracie777 »

I love confessional works so much for the lessons they hold. Depression has become so-so common and I would love to learn how Jeannette overcame the battle and the path she took to spiritual healing. I also love that you call it relatable. Thank you, your review is quite eloquent and a breath of fresh air too. (I had to look up a few words from the dictionary, but am not complaining!)
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee

Post by Cristina Chifane »

It must have been quite a challenge for Jeanette to grow up in a famous family by the side of many siblings Was depression the reason why her first marriage fell apart? What triggered her mental breakdown? How did she become a spiritual healer? There are many answers I could only get if I read the book. Thanks for your review.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Misha_17
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misha-17.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Misha_17 »

I seldom read autobiographies, and I never heard of her. Even though this is the case, author makes it a point to be as real as possible in her storytelling, which I found a bit entertaining. A must read for fans of this genre, but not for me.
klwoodford
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klwoodford.html
Latest Review: Pembrim by Bree Lenehan

Post by klwoodford »

Depression is so insidious. I think books, or any media really, that sheds light on it is worth looking in to. The more we talk about it, the more people suffering realize they aren't alone. Thank you for the review.
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: Children of the Dark
Bookshelf Size: 3838
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

I'm not a big reader of memoirs, but it does sound like the author has had an interesting life and that her story could be helpful to those who suffer from depression. Depression is definitely a disease and it seems to be genetically connected, passed on from one generation to another. Sad fact. Thanks for your insightful review!
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
Roland2426
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Roland2426 »

Good review and a nice piece of work from the author(Jeannette Watson “it's my part”). The book( it's my party)gives an insight on how the rich also cry and that,sickness does not respect any social class. It affect both the rich and poor.
Jo+m
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Jo+m »

Depression and mental health is something I read about anytime anyday. This is a wonderous piece of work. It is so amazing how the author shares her story. This is something that affects people globally and it's a piece everyone should try.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”