Review by Eryn Bradshaw -- Demon Freaks

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Review by Eryn Bradshaw -- Demon Freaks

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Demon Freaks" by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Twin brothers Ron and Bing Slaughter, accompanied by their friends and bandmates Meat and Kaitlyn have a late night cram and jam session before the SATs the next morning. The night starts off normal, but turns into an action-packed thriller. Together they have to fight supernatural beings and a demonic, psychic dagger while trying to stop the evil Golfer’s Association before terrible forces descend upon the earth.

J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison’s Demon Freaks was an interesting read. Hardison takes this young adult book and combines the horror/thriller genre with comedy delightfully. He keeps the reader on the edge of their seat while sprinkling in jokes and witty descriptions throughout the novel.

Although the book is driven more by plot and less by the characters, I still found myself invested in what the four teenagers were going through at each stage of the book. Although genres like these can be predictable and are within this book, Hardison did a great job taking the basis of these genres and adding his own little twists that make the book a unique one.

I usually want deep character development in the books I read and this book gives few details about the characters, but given the pace of the book, I didn't mind. I enjoyed the mini-cliffhangers that left me wondering what might happen to one character while still eager to see the events of other characters. The cliffhangers often gave me a gentle nudge to keep turning the pages instead of putting it down and coming back to it later.

Demon Freaks takes place all in a single night. Given the option to spend a few days before the events in this book to get to know the four teenagers more, I most likely would have been bored. Aside from the events in this book, the twins and their bandmates are just regular teenagers attending high school and going about their normal lives. A few details about each character in the beginning and throughout the book are given, enough to understand the basis of who they are. However, if the events in the book took place over a few days, the reader might have been given a few more details about each character. Out of all the main characters, Kaitlyn was the least developed and for a lot of the book seemed to be the token female character. The psychic dagger had some backstory given to it, but I wanted more. It seemed Hardison wanted to focus on giving descriptions to members of the Golfer’s Association, instead of developing Kaitlyn, the psychic dagger, and some later introduced characters. I didn't mind that Ron often used the phrase “Jesus Christ” as an exclamation throughout the entire book, but some might not like it.

Without giving spoilers for those who are interested in reading this book, the book ends with a few plot holes and questions. There are enough unanswered questions that if Hardison wrote a sequel or even a series following the Slaughter brothers, he could. I enjoyed the style of writing enough that I would love to see their adventures continue.

Overall, I give Demon Freaks a 3 out of 4 stars. It's by no means a perfect book, but I found it an enjoyable read. The limitation of telling a story in a single night restrained some character development and details were left out. Even though there are plot holes and questions left unanswered at the end of the book, it still left me satisfied with the ending. I would recommend the book to anyone who might enjoy Hardison's twist on the thriller/horror and comedy genre.

Demon Freaks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Eryn Bradshaw's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
Cara Van Heerden
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cara-van-heerden.html
Latest Review: The Prize by Geoffrey M Cooper
Reading Device: B0147LDSG0

Post by Cara Van Heerden »

Phew, horror stories give me the creeps but you make this one sound so good! Great review!
“If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world.” - C.S. Lewis
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

Cara Van Heerden wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 11:18 Phew, horror stories give me the creeps but you make this one sound so good! Great review!
Personally, I hate horror anything. Movies, games, books, you name it, I struggle to get through it. But the way Hardison writes makes the book quite amusing and not as scary as say a Stephan King novel. Thanks for reading! ❤️
Cara Van Heerden
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cara-van-heerden.html
Latest Review: The Prize by Geoffrey M Cooper
Reading Device: B0147LDSG0

Post by Cara Van Heerden »

Eryn Bradshaw wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 11:27
Cara Van Heerden wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 11:18 Phew, horror stories give me the creeps but you make this one sound so good! Great review!
Personally, I hate horror anything. Movies, games, books, you name it, I struggle to get through it. But the way Hardison writes makes the book quite amusing and not as scary as say a Stephan King novel. Thanks for reading! ❤️
I like the idea that he throws in some humour and word play. Humour and horror have to be balanced really well though. Must have been a fun thing to write. A shame about the characters having low development though.
“If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world.” - C.S. Lewis
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I agree that the character development was lacking. I actually thought the dagger's personality was more developed than most of the characters. Weird.
Great review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

Bianka Walter wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 10:14 I agree that the character development was lacking. I actually thought the dagger's personality was more developed than most of the characters. Weird.
Great review!
I completely agree! There was that bit of backstory with the dagger that left me wanting a bit more. Thanks for reading my review! ❤️
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I sampled this when it was BOTD and it just seemed a little too juvenile for my tastes. I'm not a fan of horror or even humorous horror(?). I sort of equate books like this to Final Destination and Scream. Your review is good though, and I think it would compel those interested in this type of book to read it. I can't read something where a character goes by the nickname "Meat." Really, Meat???
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

kfwilson6 wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 13:01 I sampled this when it was BOTD and it just seemed a little too juvenile for my tastes. I'm not a fan of horror or even humorous horror(?). I sort of equate books like this to Final Destination and Scream. Your review is good though, and I think it would compel those interested in this type of book to read it. I can't read something where a character goes by the nickname "Meat." Really, Meat???
I totally understand, the book is quite a bit juvenile. There were those eye roll moments in the book where I thought, 'What a bunch of stupid kids.' It's not the normal book I pick up and read, but I could definitely appreciate what the author was trying to accomplish in the book. My question is how in the world does anyone come up with a nickname like Meat? But anyway, thanks for reading my review and commenting! I appreciate it!
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

This sounds like such a crazy read. Everything plays off in one night? I don't know if I will be reading this but I really enjoyed your review.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

JR Mercier wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 06:04 This sounds like such a crazy read. Everything plays off in one night? I don't know if I will be reading this but I really enjoyed your review.
Yup, you read right! The entire book happens in a night. There really is no downtime for the characters. It's definitely an interesting way to tell a story. Thanks for your comment!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review, I enjoyed this book, I felt it was a great mickey take of the horror genre.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

Helen_Combe wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 16:29 Great review, I enjoyed this book, I felt it was a great mickey take of the horror genre.
Definitely! I don't like horror much but there were moments where I had a good laugh! Thanks for commenting!
RogueMarshmello
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RogueMarshmello »

Nice and informative review. I prefer my characters to be pretty fleshed out and I have to wonder how invested I can become given it takes place over the course of a single night. Sounds like a fun film more so than a book, so I'm not inclined to read it any time soon. However, based on your opinion I can say I may give it a read someday.
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

RogueMarshmello wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 16:57 Nice and informative review. I prefer my characters to be pretty fleshed out and I have to wonder how invested I can become given it takes place over the course of a single night. Sounds like a fun film more so than a book, so I'm not inclined to read it any time soon. However, based on your opinion I can say I may give it a read someday.
I could definitely see it as a teen summer flick. I think I became invested enough in the characters that I did have concerns at times for them but not enough that it would rip my heart out. Thanks for the comment, Rogue!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”