Does it matter that little Tony is black?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
msomigreat
Currently Reading: Abducted
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msomigreat.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Re: Does it matter that little Tony is black?

Post by msomigreat »

i think it is time that we do not judge people by their color but by the content of their character as Martin Luther Once said. Maybe it would be better for us to familiarize ourselves with the fact that all humans are created equal. Maybe you might want to familiarize yourself with Dark Rising TV series coming up soon
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Ehh, I can't say I would go looking for that distinction. I don't think children would see it in the light of "Tony can ONLY do simple chores." I feel like that shadow is cast by adults.
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
shryl04
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by shryl04 »

I find the thought ridiculous that anyone should consider actually changing an established character's race (or sex, for that matter) just to appease a small portion of readership. If the characters that already exist aren't enough, then they could join the fraternity of creators and make new ones.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Does it matter that Toni is a boy and not a girl? Does anyone think girls are less likely to enjoy this book or have a harder time relating to Toni because he is a male character?

I never though of Toni's color or gender when reading this book. I never though there was any kind of even slight message about the capabilities of children of different gender or race.

I figured it was as simple as Base is a woman of color and her children are boys, so she made her character the type of child that most resemble her own because when she thinks of kids, her own are probably the very first to pop into her head. "R.D. Base is the mother of three young boys."
hadizasalisu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadizasalisu.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by hadizasalisu »

Christina Rose wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 06:50
hadizasalisu wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 12:27 To be honest I think so, Toni being black is important because because little children of colour don't have a lot of literature to fall back on, and we all know its easier to see yourself in a superhero if they look like you, but I'm also a bit on the fence that teaching children about colour very young might be bad, what'd you think?
I do agree that it's easier to see yourself in a superhero if he or she looks like you.
I think it's important to teach children about culture and heritage more so than skin color. Learning about your family's history can be interesting and fun, and can foster a feeling of belonging. If parents are also talking about and modeling tolerance and acceptance, then any discussions about color should be far less difficult to tackle, if the discussion is ever even necessary. Children will notice when people look different, and we have the ability to influence whether these differences are viewed as negative or positive.
That does sound right.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

It does not matter that Toni is black. It is only the one who has not yet appreciated diversity and the need to appreciate the differences within the human race that will dare to think that it does matters. It is the same as me being a doctor and reading a book where the main character is a pilot and raising the same question but based on this. It is good to note that even within a specific race, there are differences that exist still such as the biological and physical differences, level of income, places of residences, etc.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Rose Anne03
Currently Reading: Refugee
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-anne03.html
Latest Review: The Elf Legacy - Book Five of the Magi Charter by Jordan David

Post by Rose Anne03 »

It doesnt matter if the hero is black or not as long as he/she do a great job its okay. Actually its more interesting having a black hero today, so unique.
[Arun Bohra]
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by [Arun Bohra] »

I appreciate the depiction of a Black child as a superhero. Often, Black superheros are killed off in television or are used solely for a white superhero's plot. Representation of POC in children's literature is so incredibly important, but I find this book to fall short of expectations. Although it's wonderful that Toni engages in many activities that defy American binary gender roles, Toni doesn't have much of a plot as a superhero. The book merely lists all of the activities Toni enjoys doing. The illustrations are lovely, but I would encourage the writer to consider a more complex story for Toni. Overall, the series is promising, but hopefully Toni gets more character and plot development!
Janine10261992
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Janine10261992 »

No it does not matter that Tony is black. Just because he doesnt do save the world doesnt mean he isnt a hero for helping his siblings or the community he works in.
Ksharmilla
Currently Reading: Going Wild
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksharmilla.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Ksharmilla »

I haven't thought about this till now. When I read the book, I noted he was black. I feel like when it comes to kids they simply see another kid and the colour of his skin doesn't matter.
Asavela
Favorite Book: Island Games
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asavela.html
Latest Review: Barbra Streisand: On the Couch by Alma H. Bond, Ph.D.

Post by Asavela »

It makes the book more interesting.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

I did not even think that the Toni was black until I read this thread. I think it odd that anyone would even think that, since he is a child of color, he should only be helping with daily chores. Very strange take in my opinion. I thought the book was great because it showed that everyone can be a superhero - even in supposed mundane things like helping your parents. Color had nothing to do with it.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

To me, Toni’s color makes no difference. The message is the same: that even superheroes enjoy doing ordinary things.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Post by Supergirl1 »

These racial distinctions are things adults do. Children do not really care about race or color, they all play together! Children of other races who have never seen a black person might be fascinated that Toni doesn’t look like them, but in today’s diverse society, that is rare. Watching children at play, one would realize they care more about who is kind and who is mean, and Toni is definitely a kind, happy little boy.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Color has nothing to do with superhero qualities. Talent is a God gifted thing . so it can not be restricted to one race. The author did a good job by choosing a black color for the superhero.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”