Official Review: White and Proud by Keri Brye

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Official Review: White and Proud by Keri Brye

Post by Bianka Walter »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "White and Proud" by Keri Brye.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

White and Proud is a book of anecdotes written by Keri Brye. As an African American girl growing up, Keri wasn’t aware of the rules involved with being black. There are certain things that need to be abided by in order to pass as an African American, and Keri failed at most of these edicts throughout her life. Thus, rendering her essentially white.

The ‘Black Laws’, as Keri refers to them in her book, consist of things like eating a lot of meat, dressing hip hop, and listening to rap music. You are also, under no circumstances, allowed to read novels or go to karaoke bars. These were things that Keri loved to do. And, unfortunately, she didn’t dress the part, enjoyed rock ‘n roll and country music, and (horror of all horrors) was a vegan! These individual traits caused Keri’s family and friends to insultingly label her as ‘the white girl’.

As much as this is a book about finding your own individuality, I also feel like it was cathartic for the author to write about her experiences. For lack of a better word, she was bullied as a youngster. Her decisions in life, although out of the black cultural norm, were what defined her as an individual. Being persecuted for this by her friends and family was unreasonable. It was great to watch her develop into a strong woman who eliminated many of these negative people from her life. She grew into someone who did things because she enjoyed them, not because it was part of some unspoken set of rules.

I think there are truly great lessons to be learned from the stories told in this book. In order for Keri to fit in, she needed to change her actions. She needed to dress sloppier. She needed to speak using more slang than she was used to. She needed to become untidier. She eventually realised that she didn’t want to do these things. She wanted to be happy on her own terms. Stereotyping people becomes easier when they allow themselves to be given labels, and I applaud the author for wanting to step out of that box.

The downside of this book was the editing. The book started out so well, and I noticed very few errors. But as I progressed through the stories, it got increasingly worse. It’s almost like an editor read the first part of the book, and then just stopped halfway. By the end of the book, there were missing words, repeated sentences, missing inverted commas, and commas in the incorrect places. An editor would have picked up on things like stereo type instead of stereotype, complimenting instead of complementing, and whose instead of who’s.

All in all, this was a very enjoyable book. I loved the stories that the author shared. If not for the poor editing, this book would have received a better result. As it is, it gets 3 out of 4 stars from me. I would recommend this book to people who are looking for positive ways to reinforce their own identities. Also, it helps to highlight the idea that people who behave differently from the norm are not necessarily weird.

They simply are who they are.

White and Proud
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Bianka Walter's review? Post a comment saying so!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Bianka, you are really putting out reviews quickly! And always so wonderfully written. You also choose very unique books. I saw this book on the new reviews list and saw "white" with a dark-complected girl on the cover and got curious as to what this could be about. Sounds like a unique concept. It's so sad when one's own family is critical. I'm glad she didn't bend to peer-pressure and continued to be exactly who she wanted to be.
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

The title and cover combination is certainly attention grabbing. It is so strange how individual preferences can be used to inaccurately define people, regardless, the book seems like a good read about defying stereotypes and expectations. Thank you for the review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

kfwilson6 wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 09:42 Bianka, you are really putting out reviews quickly! And always so wonderfully written. You also choose very unique books. I saw this book on the new reviews list and saw "white" with a dark-complected girl on the cover and got curious as to what this could be about. Sounds like a unique concept. It's so sad when one's own family is critical. I'm glad she didn't bend to peer-pressure and continued to be exactly who she wanted to be.
It just so happens that the last two I chose to read were about 100 pages long, so super quick! I'm having a little pause at the moment :)
This was a unique book! And I do tend to gravitate towards the ones with a different storyline. This didn't fail to impress!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

daydreaming reader wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 11:32 The title and cover combination is certainly attention grabbing. It is so strange how individual preferences can be used to inaccurately define people, regardless, the book seems like a good read about defying stereotypes and expectations. Thank you for the review.
I know, you would think that being unique is an attractive quality. The author definitely defied expectations!
Thanks so much for commenting :)
- Dr. Seuss
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

As a black female who "talks white", doesn't like watermelon, didn't curse when I was young, etc., I can certainly commiserate with the author. It also didn't help that I'm very fair-skinned, which resulted in several so-called "friends" accusing me of wishing that I was white or that I could "pass"! Unfortunately, I did not have the strength that the author did and I gave in to peer pressure, going so far as to actually studying people who "cuss", so I could do it properly. I'll be 50 in October, and these old wounds still affect me in some ways. I'm myself when around family and friends, but when in a crowd of other melanated persons, I find myself switching to Ebonics and acting more hip than I normally do.
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

MsTri wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 12:40 As a black female who "talks white", doesn't like watermelon, didn't curse when I was young, etc., I can certainly commiserate with the author. It also didn't help that I'm very fair-skinned, which resulted in several so-called "friends" accusing me of wishing that I was white or that I could "pass"! Unfortunately, I did not have the strength that the author did and I gave in to peer pressure, going so far as to actually studying people who "cuss", so I could do it properly. I'll be 50 in October, and these old wounds still affect me in some ways. I'm myself when around family and friends, but when in a crowd of other melanated persons, I find myself switching to Ebonics and acting more hip than I normally do.
MsTri, this book was made for you. (I would wait for an edit though...)
What you are describing is told in detail through the words of Ms Brye, and it was so difficult for me to read. I wanted to climb into the pages and hug her, and tell her that she didn't have to change for other people. I suppose this is a problem that people all over the world deal with. The author mentions that when she spoke the part, it came out incredibly awkward, because it wasn't her. So I'm not surprised at your needing to 'study' people to be able to do something like cuss!
Thanks so much for commenting :)
- Dr. Seuss
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Wow! I would like to read this book despite its many editorial flaws. The main character is so unique and interesting. Thank you for your honest review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This definitely sounds like a unique read. The editorial issues are disappointing but I'm glad that you still found it enjoyable to read. Wonderful review!
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

crediblereading2 wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 17:22 Wow! I would like to read this book despite its many editorial flaws. The main character is so unique and interesting. Thank you for your honest review.
Thanks for the comment, and for stopping by :)
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Cecilia_L wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 19:44 This definitely sounds like a unique read. The editorial issues are disappointing but I'm glad that you still found it enjoyable to read. Wonderful review!
Ya, I hope she sticks it through another round of editing - it's definitely unique!
Thanks so much for reading and for the comments :)
- Dr. Seuss
Kate S
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-s.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Kate S »

Hi Bianka!

I have to admit, the title and cover picture caught my eye immediately. They're so contrasting (which could raise a few hackles), but once you realize what the book is about, then everything just clicks together in a painful yet brilliant way. Her troubles that you describe can be analogous to people today trying to find a balance between feminine and masculine gender roles. I'm actually curious about this book now, and I might just give it a whirl. It's a pity about the grammar; I hope the author finds an editor that will take proper care of any future novels of hers.

I'm still pretty new to this site, so I'm not sure if we're allowed to recommend other stories on review pages, but if you (and anyone else reading this) are intrigued this book's content, I highly recommend the story "In Flux" by Jonathan Escoffery. You should be able to Google it. The story basically covers the same subject as this book - having expectations placed on you because of your skin color. I only read it once, but it still blows me away every time I think about it.

Other than that, thanks for the review!
~Kate S
Lu_rire
Currently Reading: The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lu-rire.html
Latest Review: Driven by Max Barnet/Hugh Aaron

Post by Lu_rire »

I like the theme of finding your identity. Identity independent of what other people expect of you but focused on who you are, what you are comfortable with, and the things you love.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

This sounds like an amazing read and I love all your reviews! It's sad that she was bullied over being a 'white girl'.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

This sounds like a fascinating account by an African American who wasn't drawn to the cultural norms she was pressured to espouse. It sounds like she was brave in asserting her individuality. This raises interesting issues about socio-cultural environments and identity.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”