Remove the secret code BOTD bonus

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Remove the secret code BOTD bonus

Post by Helen_Combe »

This is just a suggestion.
Unless the secret code serves a purpose like collecting stats, I would like to suggest that it is removed.

As it is available to everybody, everybody getting the extra bonus is exactly the same as nobody getting the extra bonus.

As I am outside of the US and am on a different timezone, the email often arrives after I have gone to bed. It, therefore, puts me at a disadvantage along with other people who are in the same boat.
It also adds yet another step to what is a rather laborious process.

How do others feel?
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I agree that unless someone can provide a meaningful reason for the code, it seems to just be another piece of the BOTD puzzle to keep track of. Although I am not yet in bed when the email comes through, I never know when I might receive it and sometimes it's not until 7pm when I am well done with all of my other BOTD sharing. I could easily do without it, especially since I wasn't even looking at the email prior to the code because I am on this site daily and see the BOTD anyway.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

To add to my argument, a proportion of users didn’t get the BOTD email yesterday while others did.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

For me the secret code is fun. Since I have had issues with glitches related to Twitter and I don't always have time to comment on Linkedin or FB (like now, I am on vacation with very spotty service. I can't comment on my phone as the links don't go through and have to keep borrowing my relatives desktop), at least I know I get a point for the code.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

FictionLover wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 07:37 For me the secret code is fun. Since I have had issues with glitches related to Twitter and I don't always have time to comment on Linkedin or FB (like now, I am on vacation with very spotty service. I can't comment on my phone as the links don't go through and have to keep borrowing my relatives desktop), at least I know I get a point for the code.
Good point.
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

I think you have a point am among those who receive the mail at around three in the morning and its so much hassle. Anyway its an extra point so i guess you have to hustle to get it.
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

I agree with Helen as well. If you're outside the US, or if you don't happen to get the email, then it feels a bit unfair to those outside the US timezone. It adds an extra step as well to look out for an email that might not come before I decide to go to bed, open it up and grab a code to just plug it in.
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I agree with Helen, too.
There were a few times this week that I didn't receive the BOTD email until the following day. Even though I used the link for the particular giveaways, I was unable to earn the secret code for those days because the links automatically updated to the current BOTD.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

I’ve just received yesterday’s BOTD email 9 hours after the deadline.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Helen_Combe wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 13:05 I’ve just received yesterday’s BOTD email 9 hours after the deadline.
I received that too. When i clicked on the link it took me to today's giveaway; I hope the code didn't end up being wrong!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 14:01
Helen_Combe wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 13:05 I’ve just received yesterday’s BOTD email 9 hours after the deadline.
I received that too. When i clicked on the link it took me to today's giveaway; I hope the code didn't end up being wrong!
I’ve just this minute received today's email, so if you used yesterday's code on today's BOTD, then I assume it will be wrong.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Helen_Combe wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 14:04
I’ve just this minute received today's email, so if you used yesterday's code on today's BOTD, then I assume it will be wrong.
When I click on the link it goes straight through and is approved. I don't think I was disqualified yesterday.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 14:12
Helen_Combe wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 14:04

When I click on the link it goes straight through and is approved. I don't think I was disqualified yesterday.
Huzzah!
rusyalana
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 156

Post by rusyalana »

I have the same problem with the BOTD e-mail. It usually comes in the middle of the night when I'm already asleep. Usually I can enter the code the next day because I still have time before the Giveaway closes. But on July 14, the e-mail came in the middle of the night as well and two hours later the Giveaway was already closed - and not at 5am (EST) but approximately at 1am.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Helen_Combe wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 12:49
As I am outside of the US and am on a different timezone, the email often arrives after I have gone to bed. It, therefore, puts me at a disadvantage along with other people who are in the same boat.
It also adds yet another step to what is a rather laborious process.

How do others feel?
It's important to remember that OBC is a U.S. based business. Yes, people who are not in the U.S. are welcome to participate, but it's important to remember where the business is based. I would imagine that the decisions that Scott, the owner, makes are based on what is best for the business.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”