Should Angela Be Pregnant?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2018 Book of the Month"The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Re: Should Angela Be Pregnant?

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

420waystoreachthesun wrote: 07 Jul 2018, 03:19 No, I don't think she should. I don't know why there is a human fixation with pregnancy. The world is imploding.
Maybe you shouldn't look at it as a fixation on pregnancy as much as it is a concern as to whether the book ended on a believable note. The novel itself awarded pregnancy (and sex) so much importance that a reader would need to be fairly oblivious to not think of pregnancy as being the second milestone in Alex and Angela's life together. Both Sophia and Fioretta only had their children as a lasting memory of their lovers, so I thought it natural that Angela's story progress in the same direction, albeit with a much happier ending.
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

I think that the book ends in such a way to get the reader thinking that there might be a next book. Perhaps this is when a possible child would come in. If she put it in this book she would have to write another book. This kind of leaves it all up in the air.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
Cara Van Heerden
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cara-van-heerden.html
Latest Review: The Prize by Geoffrey M Cooper
Reading Device: B0147LDSG0

Post by Cara Van Heerden »

Oh, I didn't think about that. Making Angela pregnant would've brought the story a bit more full circle, hey? Because it starts with a pregnancy, ending it with one would have been a nice touch. I like stories that do that. It makes them feel more complete somehow.
“If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world.” - C.S. Lewis
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

People always make it seem like getting pregnant is really easy but it's not. A lot of things have to be set in place for it to happen. That's why some couples try for years before achieving pregnancy.
Cara Van Heerden
Currently Reading:

fanix1718 wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 21:10 People always make it seem like getting pregnant is really easy but it's not. A lot of things have to be set in place for it to happen. That's why some couples try for years before achieving pregnancy.
That is very true, actually. Good point. It's not just health factors either. Even the time of the month is important.
“If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world.” - C.S. Lewis
Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Thimble »

Cara Van Heerden wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 07:37
fanix1718 wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 21:10 People always make it seem like getting pregnant is really easy but it's not. A lot of things have to be set in place for it to happen. That's why some couples try for years before achieving pregnancy.
That is very true, actually. Good point. It's not just health factors either. Even the time of the month is important.
This is true, but in this book pregnancy seems to be extremely easy and accidental, so I would not be surprised if it only took a week. Though, since it was only a week, it wouldn't explain all of her emotions and dependency.
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

A person should never be in a hurry to get pregnant. It should be a planned decision between both the man and the woman involved. All suitable preparations should be made prior to this pregnancy. Wait, Angela, wait.
Cara Van Heerden
Currently Reading:

Thimble wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 09:30
This is true, but in this book pregnancy seems to be extremely easy and accidental, so I would not be surprised if it only took a week. Though, since it was only a week, it wouldn't explain all of her emotions and dependency.
Ah, well, fiction can be that way. It's too easy as an author to look over how things happen in real life for the sake of a great story. 😂 The silver lining is that this book is still enjoyable, even though some things might not be strictly factual.
AngharadB
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angharadb.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by AngharadB »

Lots of women have trouble conceiving even when they are trying so it’s not implausible that someone doesn’t conceive even with unprotected sex.
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

Cara Van Heerden wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 15:34 Oh, I didn't think about that. Making Angela pregnant would've brought the story a bit more full circle, hey? Because it starts with a pregnancy, ending it with one would have been a nice touch. I like stories that do that. It makes them feel more complete somehow.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking after I finished it. I mean, I definitely enjoyed the cliffhanger as it was, but I think I was just expecting something else (like most people do when they've reached a cliffhanger). Although, since they didn't speak of pregnancy in this book, it makes me excited for the next book because what if their child is connected to the whole mystery also (me spouting conspiracy theories now :lol2: )?
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

Thimble wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 09:30
Yes, that's my point exactly! Everything seems to fit a sort of mold in the novel, so I was simply going with the flow and expecting yet another easy/early pregnancy. And don't even get me started on Angela's emotional state... 😂
Cara Van Heerden wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 04:57
Ah, well, fiction can be that way. It's too easy as an author to look over how things happen in real life for the sake of a great story. 😂 The silver lining is that this book is still enjoyable, even though some things might not be strictly factual.
Fiction is always a toss-up. It's enjoyable but then there are those instances where you cock your head to the side and the book leaves you thinking for minutes on end :lol2: I agree, the take away is, the book was still enjoyable haha
Cara Van Heerden
Currently Reading:

Tamorie21 wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 11:57
Cara Van Heerden wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 15:34 Oh, I didn't think about that. Making Angela pregnant would've brought the story a bit more full circle, hey? Because it starts with a pregnancy, ending it with one would have been a nice touch. I like stories that do that. It makes them feel more complete somehow.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking after I finished it. I mean, I definitely enjoyed the cliffhanger as it was, but I think I was just expecting something else (like most people do when they've reached a cliffhanger). Although, since they didn't speak of pregnancy in this book, it makes me excited for the next book because what if their child is connected to the whole mystery also (me spouting conspiracy theories now :lol2: )?
Oooh! I sense the beginnings of a fan theory 😂😂.
Tamorie21 wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 12:05
Cara Van Heerden wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 04:57
Fiction is always a toss-up. It's enjoyable but then there are those instances where you cock your head to the side and the book leaves you thinking for minutes on end :lol2: I agree, the take away is, the book was still enjoyable haha
Yeah, I agree! But then those times it does make you think are awesome too because it means you are growing as a person because of what you just read. Books are amazing. They just are 😁
HouseOfAtticus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houseofatticus.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by HouseOfAtticus »

I'm tired of pregnancy stories. I can do without one.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Everyone loves a baby. Would be an emotional ending and a new beginning.
:techie-studyingbrown:
samiam013
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samiam013.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by samiam013 »

There was a line in the book which referred to the use of protection and Alex not caring if Angela did get pregnant. So, I do believe a baby will be in the works maybe by the next book. It seems as though it is the next step due to the past life passages we read in book one.
"Books give a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything". (Plato) :reading-7:

Smiles are contagious! Infect someone today! :D

Return to “Discuss "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami”