Official Review: The Dinosaur Lawyer by Adam Van Susteren

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Official Review: The Dinosaur Lawyer by Adam Van Susteren

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Dinosaur Lawyer" by Adam Van Susteren.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are dinosaurs real or are they perhaps an elaborate hoax? Is everything we learned as children a lie? Are our beloved Tyrannosaurus rex and Brontosaurus merely creations of a few money-hungry men's imaginations? These are all questions author Adam Van Susteren sets out to answer in The Dinosaur Lawyer.

This novel tells the story of attorney Aaron Baker who is hired by a Russian billionaire, Roman Aristov, to defend him in a suit brought on by his twin brother, Maxim. Roman made a Facebook post claiming Maxim, a fossil collector, had purchased fakes. Now, in order to win this defamation case, Aaron and Roman need to prove not only that what Roman said was true, but that dinosaurs in fact didn't exist. The story centers around the courtroom and this case as numerous experts are brought in to make the argument for and against dinosaurs. Aaron Baker finds himself in a case that can make or break his career and even make him question all he's known his entire life.

I absolutely loved The Dinosaur Lawyer. It completely surprised me. Yes, it is a legal novel at core, but it is so much more than that. It deals with questioning thoughts that have been implanted in us since childhood. This novel really made me think and gave me the desire to research and learn so much more about these topics. The book was really well-written. It is jam-packed with information. There is a lot of math and science as well as interesting history about paleontology, evolution, and more. The courtroom scenes and court process were very informative and easy to follow. The characters were well-developed and likable. I just have so many good things to say about this book!

I think what I loved best about this novel though is that it made me want to talk about it. This story got me excited and eager to share with others. Now I want to know what everyone thinks and knows about dinosaurs. I felt like I learned so much while reading it. I really couldn't put it down. If I had to find a complaint, it would be that the court proceedings and testimonies became a bit repetitive after awhile, but this did help me to understand the whole process better and to remember key moments in the novel.

This is an excellent book choice for fans of law, history, and science. It can get very technical at times and the bulk of the book covers historic figures, laws of physics, mathematics, probability, and such. So, if you're looking for a lighter read, this might not be it. However, when you're feeling up to jumping in, I really recommend it to just about anyone. It's such an interesting story and a fresh look at an old tale. I give this book 4 out of 4 stars and can't wait to read more by this author starring the protagonist Aaron Baker.

The Dinosaur Lawyer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like pricklypurple's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Disproving the existence of Dinosaurs seems like a mammoth task! I love books that make you want to learn more and to talk about them. My friends get so annoyed when I start sentences with "So I'm reading this book at the moment..."
Thanks for the awesome review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Kristy Khem
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

I think that any book that can provoke your thoughts and make you want to get others' opinions on the subject is truly one of a kind. The concept of this one is certainly unique! I like how you worded it in your review - a fresh look at an old tale. Excellent review by the way, it really makes me want to get this one.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP

Bianka Walter wrote: 07 Jul 2018, 12:45 Disproving the existence of Dinosaurs seems like a mammoth task! I love books that make you want to learn more and to talk about them. My friends get so annoyed when I start sentences with "So I'm reading this book at the moment..."
Thanks for the awesome review :)
I think my husband might get a bit annoyed with me as well when I don't shut up about a certain book I'm reading. I just love to talk about the good ones though! Hope you enjoy this one.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP

KristyKhem wrote: 07 Jul 2018, 15:22 I think that any book that can provoke your thoughts and make you want to get others' opinions on the subject is truly one of a kind. The concept of this one is certainly unique! I like how you worded it in your review - a fresh look at an old tale. Excellent review by the way, it really makes me want to get this one.
Thanks. I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I do love a legal drama but I must confess I don't want to think about physics and math when I read one. :wink: Great review, though!
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

I love the excitement that you share about this novel. The idea of questioning what we have been taught to be fact is a great thing to see. We are trained not to question our science books, so it is quite interesting to see this author doing so with this book. I might have to read this one and explore the mind-bending science in it.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

I feel that any book that makes you question your knowledge and want to learn more about a subject is always worth a read. I'd definitely be checking this book out. Nice review
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed reading your review! The premise of the story sounds very unique and interesting. It's always a good sign when a book makes you think. :) I like books where you learn something new - in this case, info about paleontology. I'm off to read the sample!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Hannahrg
Currently Reading: Survivor's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahrg.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by Hannahrg »

I work in the legal field so the title of the book was attractive. The review also enticed me to grab a copy and put this book on my shelves. Can't wait to spend time to read this.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I have asked myself these questions on numerous occasions, therefore, I am piqued by the storyline of this book on dinosaurs. Are they real or fake? Thank you for a great review.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP

Cecilia_L wrote: 07 Jul 2018, 20:11 I do love a legal drama but I must confess I don't want to think about physics and math when I read one. :wink: Great review, though!
Yeah, parts of it did get a bit technical, but I still recommend it! :)
Corhan2
Favorite Book: Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta #2)
Currently Reading: Land of Painted Caves
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corhan2.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Corhan2 »

I absolutely love legal drama and to combine it with something interesting such as dinosaurs is quite unique. Your review got me excited and now I want to read this book!!!
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP

crediblereading2 wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 18:03 I have asked myself these questions on numerous occasions, therefore, I am piqued by the storyline of this book on dinosaurs. Are they real or fake? Thank you for a great review.
If these are questions you've already pondered, then you definitely need to read this. Let me know what you think after!
Kate S
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-s.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Kate S »

Oh god, this review reminded me of the whole "Is Pluto a planet?" debacle, and how people can be very stubborn about what they've been taught. Just imagine if this dinosaur case was leaked to the public. There'd be a firestorm of debate on all social media platforms. Was the public mentioned at all in the book?

The title did catch my attention, and your enthusiasm is infectious. You know what? I'm going to write this title down in my handy dandy notebook, and come back to it eventually. I don't mind heavier reads, but how easy could you follow the mathematical parts? That's the main thing I'm worried about. History and anthropology? I'm down. Math and physics? Someone please hold my hand.

Thanks for the review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”