Best book that was made into the worst movie!

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Re: Best book that was made into the worst movie!

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

Too many to name probably, but I just watched the new Fahrenheit 451 and that was horrible compared to the book.
Nanig83006
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanig83006.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Nanig83006 »

sahmoun2778 wrote: 06 Oct 2014, 10:44 The Percy Jackson movie was just horrible. My son and I had both really loved the book but they just butchered the story in the movie version.
I'm with you guys on that! I was so disappointed in the first and got hopeful for the second. It was another waste of time. :roll: They changed so much, just to make up for the gap of time between the first and second movie. :doh:
scratchcat318
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scratchcat318.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by scratchcat318 »

Nanig83006 wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 09:50
sahmoun2778 wrote: 06 Oct 2014, 10:44 The Percy Jackson movie was just horrible. My son and I had both really loved the book but they just butchered the story in the movie version.
I'm with you guys on that! I was so disappointed in the first and got hopeful for the second. It was another waste of time. :roll: They changed so much, just to make up for the gap of time between the first and second movie. :doh:
I'm definitely with you two on that! It's a shame, considering how well-written the Percy Jackson series is. It could have been a movie series on the level of Harry Potter if the studio had just taken it seriously enough. They changed way too much for absolutely no reason, and some of the decisions they made had me questioning if they had even read the books before beginning production.
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

Eragon by Chrisopher Paolini
Mic1974
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mic1974 »

Harry Potter is the best book
Sarah Starling
Favorite Author: Alix E. Harrow
Favorite Book: Starling House
Currently Reading: Love and Other Words
Bookshelf Size: 10084
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-starling.html
Latest Review: Cell Biology For Babies by Dr. Haitham Ahmed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 176795

Post by Sarah Starling »

The movie adaptation of the first 3 The Series of Unfortunate Events books was the worst. We saw that in my middle school class after reading the first book and it almost ruined the entire series for me.
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

rssllue wrote: 06 Oct 2014, 23:17 Thank you for validating my not watching any of the Twilight movies!
Yes, I knew I wasn't missing out! :tiphat: I did buy the book, but I never opened it. Then I sold it a couple days later.
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
erythphaean
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erythphaean.html
Latest Review: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker by Thomas Hill

Post by erythphaean »

I've noticed a lot of my favorite books that are made into movies always seem to be a bit lackluster. With that being said, I do like to remember something my Uncle David told me once: you must look at the book in one perspective and the movie in another, since in most cases they are made to be completely different entities for different people to enjoy. Be that as it may, I'd say the movie adaptation of Paper Towns by John Green was a really big disappointment. It was one of my favorite books as a young adult, and so many of the great plot points were just thrown out the window when they made the screenplay.
Haruko06

Post by Haruko06 »

Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief. Seriously a good book but horrible movie. Even the author hated it
Ksharmilla
Currently Reading: Going Wild
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksharmilla.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Ksharmilla »

Eragon the movie was absolutely horrible. Arya was nothing like she was described. Saphira was barely even blue.
Angus Stain
Currently Reading: The Lord Of The Rings
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angus-stain.html
Latest Review: Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas

Post by Angus Stain »

I read the Hobbit ages before the movie, and when An Unexpected Journey finally came out and I saw it I was a little disappointed, but I still thought it was just fine. But by the third film, it was apparent that the studio took a quaint little adventure and turned it into a bloated, ugly mess.

Also, the final novel in the "Hunger Games" series made a weird transition to the big screen. The first half of the novel was very slow and not all that well paced, and I thought Mockingjay Part I was at least a better, livelier attempt at the same stretch of story. The weird part is that the opposite was true for Mockingjay Part 2. The ending to the "Hunger Games" series was actually excellently handled in the novels, and yet the only way I could describe 'Part 2' is as lifeless.

Then there's His Dark Materials. I watched the 2007 The Golden Compass when I was young and didn't think much of it. Recently though, I binge-read one of the most absorbing sagas ever written, and then re-watched the movie. Yikes. Everything that made the book so special was removed, and don't even get me started on the ending!
Jmar_la
Currently Reading: Toxic Side Effect
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmar-la.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Jmar_la »

I remember the movie The Firm and how disappointed I was in the movie. I had just finished reading the book and was highly disappointed because the movie seemed to actually change the ending to something that they wanted rather than follow the ending in the book.
I remember watching Jane Eyre and how frustrated I was with the movie and how much they left out and how they really could not develop the characters well enough. It would be a really difficult task to make a movie from Jane Eyre that would capture the book adequately. If I read a book and it is made into a movie, I usually will not go to the movie. It can never really do the book justice.
BeingTheWriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beingthewriter.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by BeingTheWriter »

Christina Rose wrote: 29 Jul 2017, 19:43
rssllue wrote:Another one is Cujo. The movie lacked so much of what made the book so appealing when I first read it. It was sometimes very painful to watch.
I didn't mind Cujo so much, but with that particular book I happened to watch the movie first. In those situations, I don't tend to be bothered as much with inconsistencies and such.
Now, with The Running Man, (from when Stephen King was still writing under his pseudonym) I was thoroughly disappointed in the movie.

Another horrible adaptation was The Stepford Wives(2004 film). The novel by Ira Levin wasn't the best, but it wasn't bad either. It was good enough for me to want to see the movie. Now, I haven't seen the original movie from 1975, but I liked the cast in the most recent adaptation, so I chose to watch that one. I think they were trying to just make it funny, where in reality that just ruined the story for me.
Oh you should totally see the 1975 movie! It's so good and falls in line with the book. I have read and seen both. Ah, that 1975 version and that ending is....creepy and fantastic. I'm with you on the 2004 one. They missed the boat completely.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

TaaraLynn wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 14:24
rssllue wrote: 06 Oct 2014, 23:17 Thank you for validating my not watching any of the Twilight movies!
Yes, I knew I wasn't missing out! :tiphat: I did buy the book, but I never opened it. Then I sold it a couple days later.
Wise choice. :wink:
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
AndrewTom

Post by AndrewTom »

There are many. Because making a book into movie is really a difficult task. Directors work hard for it. But let's get to the question. Recently, I watched IT movie. It's story is based on a novel of same name by Stephen King. Novel is really good. It did gave me scary chills but movie was not at all scary. Didn't know why it's genre is horror. But it all depends on every individual's taste. Mine is different than yours. You may like it but for me it was the worst movie made form the best book.

Return to “Films and Books”