Official Review: From Siberia to St. Kitts: A Teacher's J...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Official Review: From Siberia to St. Kitts: A Teacher's J...

Post by JessNWheeler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "From Siberia to St. Kitts: A Teacher's Journey" by Ira Sumner Simmonds.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Madame Katzen had an eye for promising students. When an exceptionally bright student lacked the necessary funds to further their education, Madame Katzen would provide for them. How she had the ability to provide this money on a teacher’s salary would not be a mystery for long. Author Ira Sumner Simmonds tells the story of his inspirational teacher in From Siberia to Saint Kitts: A Teacher’s Journey.

As Ira started the tenth grade, he was filled with excitement and anticipation. He looked forward to learning modern languages. Mrs. Katzen had a well-known reputation. She was an older, no-nonsense teacher. Mrs. Katzen had a profound effect on Ira. So profound, in fact, that Ira became a French teacher himself. Later in life, Ira began to reflect on his past and his source of inspiration, Madame Katzen. He decided to find out more about her life and write her biography.

Ira’s research revealed a unique and outstanding woman. Zenaida Katzen’s life began in Russia and continued to China, Chile, France, and St. Kitts. She lived a boldly independent life with an intense focus on education. With a deep passion for the success of her students, the often-misunderstood Madame Katzen undoubtedly gave many young people the resources to accomplish greatness.

If you’re looking for an action-packed thriller or a passionate love story, this is not the book for you. This is an engaging and relaxing read. The author’s deep admiration for Mrs. Katzen is so clearly presented that it is difficult to feel any different. However, as a mother, I found it difficult to understand how she could care so deeply for her students and have such a small presence in her own son’s life. Still, the is no arguing that this woman was a perfect subject for a biography. She was brilliant, bold, and very interesting.

This book is skillfully written, organized, and edited. There was not one grammar mistake to be found. However, the story is told through letters written by Mrs. Katzen and her dear friend. Most often there is nothing, other than the beginning of a new paragraph, to differentiate between the authors of the letters. This leaves the reader with the responsibility of deciding who is speaking. The book includes real photos that put faces to the names of Mrs. Katzen, her students, and her family.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Readers of biographies and historical fiction and non-fiction would enjoy this book. It is a well-written biography about a unique and passionate teacher.

From Siberia to St. Kitts: A Teacher's Journey
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JessNWheeler's review? Post a comment saying so!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
John Makathimo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-makathimo.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by John Makathimo »

"From Siberia to St. Kitts: A teacher's journey" Review by John Makathimo.

Being a teacher, this is one novel I hope to read at the earliest opportunity. The review is quite flattering of Mrs Katzens professionalism and critical of her shortcomings at family level in equal measure.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This does sound like a bit of a different take for a novel. It sounds promising, and I do go for a relaxing read every once in a while. I'm still unsure if this would be enough to hold my attention, though. I'll consider it. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

I am adding this to my to read list. I was intrigued by the review and had to find out a little bit more about this amazing woman. She had quite a life and lived through a lot. I am looking forward to finding out more of her remarkable story.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Though I usually prefer a faster pace, a relaxing read is a nice change occasionally. She sounds like a remarkable teacher. Thanks for the great review!
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

Now, this is something you don't see every day. A teacher having an impact on her student's life to this extent. It's very admirable, especially because few people are driven by such passion nowadays instead, they are filled with the hunger for money. This is definitely a book I want on my shelf. Thanks for the review.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”