Review by julessawyer -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
julessawyer
Currently Reading: The Lost Continent
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julessawyer.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Review by julessawyer -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by julessawyer »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toni The Superhero is a children’s book written by R. D. Base and illustrated by Debbie Hefke. It tells the story of a young superhero named Toni; when he was not out saving the world. The tale focuses on Toni’s chores not as a superhero but as a child. This book is the first among a series of books, hence the story centers on introduction to our young protagonist and the things he likes. This is also R. D. Base’s first book.

The book was particularly written for young children as an introductory reading practice. Thus the sentences were very simple, short and laden with simple terms. It was a good book to encourage children into reading without intimidating them with text heavy pages.

Another good point of the book, are its illustration. It highly complimented the simple sentences with well-drawn pages. I particularly like that Hefke’s illustration have a crayon like texture to it. Drawings are not too simple yet not too graphic, colorful enough for a child to pay attention to and appreciate as well.

Choice of words is simple and used in daily activities of a child. Unfamiliar words are explained through illustration. The author aims to encourage younger children into reading thus the book will be successful in doing so.

Another good point, are the overall layout of the book. The sentences were well placed within the illustration. All the same, the sentence “Toni likes to dance” the word ‘to’ was not placed properly and was obscured by a vertical line. This is a minimal layout problem. It is essential that words are clearly placed for this was written for reading practice.

It is page turner for me. It made me want to know Toni more and the things he likes to do. I’m also excited over how simple sentences are illustrated. I love the way the author conveys Toni’s adventures in everyday context. These made Toni a relatable character, despite of wearing his cape and mask most of the time. The book’s illustration exhibits that he is a child through his activities.

Unlike other children’s books, Toni the Superhero does not have an explicit life lesson offered in its pages. Toni’s story taps to the child that resides in each one of us. His story is relatable for the reason he does what every child will do except for being a superhero. (But when we were a child we thought we can be one!).

This is what I read through from the protagonist’s daily activities, that mundane chore done with great love plus enthusiasm can be transformed into adventure. In current times people are obsessed over doing great things to change the world disregarding that simple acts can actually make a difference like a smile or a kind word with another person.

Also in a child’s world, all new things are like adventure like the things they love to do. It made me wish that I am still a child thus all the simple things is like the biggest adventure in my life. Nothing beats the purity of heart and the innocence of a child’s perspective.

To sum up R. D. Base achieved her goals with her book. This will definitely be useful for parents to encourage and practice their toddlers to read. It is also a good way for spending quality time for their kids.

I could not find any major negative point to deduct one star except I guess it’s too short for me but I’m not the target audience. Therefore I’m giving Toni the Superhero a big and shiny 4 out of 4 stars. I will definitely recommend this book to parents with young children age’s three years up to seven years old. This will also be a good story time book for kindergarteners. Teachers should grab a copy as well.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like julessawyer's review? Post a comment saying so!
meadhbh
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadhbh.html
Latest Review: The Last Rite by Chad Morgan

Post by meadhbh »

I loved the illustrations in this book as well! A unique but captivating style. Great review!
julessawyer
Currently Reading: The Lost Continent
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julessawyer.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by julessawyer »

meadhbh wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 18:34 I loved the illustrations in this book as well! A unique but captivating style. Great review!
Thanks for stopping by! Thanks for your kind word! There still a lot of improvements needed in my writing! :D
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

I love the idea of the crayon-like texture of the drawings. this is such a cute read and I love how many people are interested in a children's book. Loved your review.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

This author truly knows how to motivate a child to learn. Thank you for a lovely review.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Thank you for your review. I also agree that even a simple act of kindness can be the start of a good change. This book seems to be one I'd consider for my future grandkid, if I'm going to be blessed to have one.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

“mundane chore done with great love plus enthusiasm can be transformed into adventure.”

I love that!
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

The best part about this book is how the author seems to encourage younger children to read throughout the book. What better lesson could we ask for the young ones?

Loved reading your review!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”