Official Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Official Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Thundering Herd" by John E. Peltier.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Life on a ranch is exciting, albeit a dangerous one. In The Thundering Herd, John E. Peltier takes us on a beautiful journey of how growing up on a farm was really like. He begins with the story of his family from his father’s side, his French ancestor Pierre Pelletier (born in 1634) and goes on to narrate how his family migrated to America in 1833. The name changed to Peltier and they began farming. His mother’s side was the Scottish Keillor and he narrates from the time of his maternal grandfather.

I do not wish to bore you with all the dates and details (as I was a couple of times), but the meeting of his parents and the family is elaborated from that time on. His mother would call her children fondly as “The Thundering Herd” and hence the title of the book. John is the fifth of twelve children. He tells us about his brothers and sisters and how there was usually always a baby at some point of time in his childhood. He tells about how his father started the farm and how there was always work to do on the farm. The author describes life on the farm in a beautiful way, detailing each fun experience he had with his brothers and the satisfaction of eating food they grew on their farm.

There is a parallel story the author develops about his life serving as a Medical Corpsman during the Vietnam War. He tells about the highlights of being in the army as well as the gloomy parts of the war. He compares life on the farm with life on the army. After coming back home, he describes life working in the construction business.

As any memoir, I believe that The Thundering Herd would be a fun recollection for the family. It was boring at first with all the dates and the names of the ancestors, but the pace picked up a bit while reading about the Vietnam War. I had read Fort Nowhere, Vietnam, but this had less about the war and more about life at the army camp. I learned a lot about farming, being in the army and the construction business. The underlying theme is that family is the most important part of life and I was happy to read about the love and affection portrayed by John’s family throughout the book. They are their own safety net, braving through poverty, storms, war and other tragedies. I do believe family is the most important but this is a beautiful portrayal and an inspiring read for those going through struggling relationships with their family.

Due to the many spelling mistakes and since it was boring at some points, I award this book 3 out of 4 stars. The author has narrated his life in the best way possible. One learns a lot of things from this book. I am so eager to even start a farm! I feel that this book is suitable for all age groups. Except for a few war scenes, I believe even young kids would be able to read this and live a good life. I hope the author writes more books, which can be more inspirational and help us through these difficult times.

The Thundering Herd
View: on Bookshelves

Like Swara Sangeet's review? Post a comment saying so!
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

This story sounds lovely and heartwarming. I am a genealogy/family history nerd, so your review even got me excited to read the "boring" parts. Thanks for the recommendation!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Sindhu Srinath

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

SamSim wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 07:18 This story sounds lovely and heartwarming. I am a genealogy/family history nerd, so your review even got me excited to read the "boring" parts. Thanks for the recommendation!
Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad I got your interest piqued. Since you're a family history nerd, I can assure that you'll love this book. Enjoy!
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

I've read books with a lot of dates as well and I can relate to the boredom of this part. The story, however, sounds quite interesting. I love farm stories; they are usually full of little adventures and humorous characters. I wish the cover design was a little more appealing though - I tend to bypass books with black and white covers because for some reason I think they're going to be dull.
Sindhu Srinath

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

KristyKhem wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 10:19 I've read books with a lot of dates as well and I can relate to the boredom of this part. The story, however, sounds quite interesting. I love farm stories; they are usually full of little adventures and humorous characters. I wish the cover design was a little more appealing though - I tend to bypass books with black and white covers because for some reason I think they're going to be dull.
Thank you for your input. I didn't care much about the cover and dived right into the story. If you skim/ignore the dates, it's a very beautifully written farm story I'm sure you'd like.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I usually don't have a skipping habit but I think the portrait of the Vietnam war to the life of farming sounds fascinating. If there are exclusive details about the Vietnam war and his experiences since it is a memoir I think it will be an exciting read. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Sindhu Srinath

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 21:07 I usually don't have a skipping habit but I think the portrait of the Vietnam war to the life of farming sounds fascinating. If there are exclusive details about the Vietnam war and his experiences since it is a memoir I think it will be an exciting read. Thank you for your review!
You're welcome! Thank you for the compliment. It is a different angle of the war, rather the life at the army camp. It's quite interesting. I hope you enjoy it!
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

Out of this review I'm sceptical I would like reading the book. The review is vivid.
Sindhu Srinath

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

KitabuKitamu wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 00:47 Out of this review I'm sceptical I would like reading the book. The review is vivid.
Thank you for the reply. The dates were boring but otherwise, it was quite a good read. You might like it.
Suzy1611
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Suzy1611 »

Thanks for being honest. The review was very interesting. Some might enjoy the book.
Sindhu Srinath

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Suzy1611 wrote: 09 Jun 2018, 03:24 Thanks for being honest. The review was very interesting. Some might enjoy the book.
Thank you for your appreciation. I'm sure that some might like this genre!
Ana-Maria-Diana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-maria-diana.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ana-Maria-Diana »

I do not read this kind of books; I prefer books with more action. But it seams a nice story about life on a farm and some people might like it. Thank you.
Sindhu Srinath

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Ana-Maria-Diana wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 11:35 I do not read this kind of books; I prefer books with more action. But it seams a nice story about life on a farm and some people might like it. Thank you.
Neither do I, same here. Some people sure would! Thank you for your reply.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

I don't think this book is for me, but it could be interesting for people who like to trace their own family's story.
Sindhu Srinath

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Juliana_Isabella wrote: 05 Apr 2019, 21:23 I don't think this book is for me, but it could be interesting for people who like to trace their own family's story.
Very true! It would be a great read for the descendants of the family. Thank you for your opinion. I hope you might check this one out anyway!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”