Review by chiwenduchijioke -- Illustrated Short Fiction ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
chiwenduchijioke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwenduchijioke.html
Latest Review: Brand Real by Vasken Kalayjian

Review by chiwenduchijioke -- Illustrated Short Fiction ...

Post by chiwenduchijioke »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Illustrated Short Stories of William .H. Cole is a collection of Thirty short stories, two graphic novels and two novellas. The stories are of varying lengths with the shortest being less than two pages. The themes of the story include love, grief, hope, death and generally simple themes we are familiar with.

The author a very skilled story teller wraps simple themes in Wide and deep characters, powerful descriptions and amazing imagery that is worthy of note. The author takes us through all sorts of settings from busy cities to country side farm houses to woods. He displays vast knowledge of many things and therefore makes the book a readers delight.

Some of the stories are easier to read than others, because of the broad varieties of the stories. Some of them contain graphic imagery that is not suited for all readers. I believe that liking or disliking any of the stories is a matter of individual taste and it might not be easy to agree that any particular story is good or bad or that one is the best out of it all. I certainly enjoyed some stories more than others and would like to know which stories other readers prefer

One of my personal favourites is a story called Suchin's escape, a story about a young girl Suchin who had been kidnapped and her struggle to escape her captors who used her for sexual activities. I admired her will to be free, her courage and determination till the end. Other stories I liked include: The Amish Girl, Speaking of The Dead, The Necklace, 13 nudes of Edward Goings, Dr Greiner's Day in Court, and Sister Carrie(the novella).

There were however some stories which I didn't consider personal favourites but still found them unique. Stories such as Homuncculus a story of a circus dwarf Didi who fell in love with a fellow circus performer Lazlo. The cliffhanger at the end allows readers to form their own opinions about what should have been and what shouldn't or even how they would finish the story. This story is also one of the two graphic novels, the we one a story called Reddog, a story about a prisoner who has been sentenced and and an investigator who is trying to find out the truth about his conviction and save a life.

I rate this story 4 out of 4 stars because I could not find any notable errors, either in the story or in the editing. The writer is a great story teller able to create all sorts of amazing characters with such depth and emotions and all evoke many feelings in the reader.The illustrations in the book also add a really nice touch to it. William. H. Cole's novels are one I definitely look forward to reading more of.

Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like chiwenduchijioke's review? Post a comment saying so!
Macwilliam1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Macwilliam1 »

sol :o :mrgreen2: :o ...I read every word. It is one illuminating review.
onixpam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onixpam.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by onixpam »

Nice review. This book sound engaging and I can read it slowly, story by story. I will be reading it very soon.
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

I've read this collection as well. I love some of the stories you mentioned but there were some I couldn't understand like "The bear" did you? If so please explain to me! Thank you for your review.
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket
bookreviewmi1111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewmi1111.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by bookreviewmi1111 »

While reading the stories, I think I really feel his characters. I liked how deeply the author described his characters’ feelings by using simple words. Thanks for a beautiful review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”