Review by ccranston -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ccranston
Favorite Book: The Last Time I Lied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccranston.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Review by ccranston -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by ccranston »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base is a wonderful starter book for young children who are learning to read. The sentences are very simple and repetitive, making it easier for children to read along with growing confidence. The illustrations by Debbie Hefbe go along nicely with the sentences and are very bright and colorful. I think young readers will enjoy the visuals. I recommend this book to anyone with an emerging reader.

There are many things I appreciate about this book. I love that Toni is self-motivated to do ordinary tasks such as chores and helping around the house. I especially love that he is shown standing next to a stack of books and reading one. This reinforces good behaviors and a love of reading. I do have to mention the fact that Toni is a superhero of color. I think it’s important for our children to see diversity, especially since most superheroes are white. This book could be used to start discussions on several different topics.

Toni the Superhero would be a great book to use in the preschool or kindergarten classroom. It opens up discussions about important values like healthy eating, being helpful, and being active. Aside from being a discussion starter, I think teachers will be able to use it in creative ways. For example, I think this book could be used as a springboard to assign “jobs” in the classroom to students. After reading about Toni, I think the kids will be excited to be helpful in class.

I have only one minor issue with the story itself. Toni is a superhero who likes to do “normal” things. He likes to read, run, clean, and sleep. However, we don’t see Toni doing any “superhero” things. I was a little disappointed that Toni is introduced to us a superhero, yet we don’t see him doing anything “super.” I know the moral of the story was that superheroes do ordinary things too, but I have a hard time seeing Toni as an actual superhero. There are more books in the series, so I’m hopeful that we’ll get to see Toni in action.

I am giving this book 4 out of 4 stars because I think it's perfect for early readers. The words are simple, the sentences are repetitive, and the superhero aspect is captivating. It is geared towards beginning readers. So if you want a story with a plot or varied sentence structures, this is not it. I think preschool or kindergarten teachers will find this book appealing. I’m looking forward to seeing Toni’s adventures in his next books.

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like ccranston's review? Post a comment saying so!
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend." –Paul Sweeney
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

The superhero question is definitely confusing. Is he one? Isn't he? I hope you're right and we get to see more of him in action in the next instalment.
I really enjoyed your review! Thanks so much :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
ccranston
Currently Reading:

Post by ccranston »

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it!
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend." –Paul Sweeney
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

ccranston wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 18:23 [Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]

For example, I think this book could be used as a springboard to assign “jobs” in the classroom to students. After reading about Toni, I think the kids will be excited to be helpful in class.
This is brilliant! I love this idea. I've read a ton of reviews for this book and not seen that suggestion. Nice review 😀
ccranston
Currently Reading:

Post by ccranston »

Thanks so much! The teacher in me is always on the lookout for resources and how to use them in the classroom lol.
meadhbh
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadhbh.html
Latest Review: The Last Rite by Chad Morgan

Post by meadhbh »

I also thought it was fantastic that Toni was a person of colour. I think representation in little ways like this is so important for kids growing up, both so children can see themselves in him, and hopefully to help promote tolerance.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”