Official Review: A Cry for Justice by Stone Grissom

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Official Review: A Cry for Justice by Stone Grissom

Post by RebeccasReading »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Cry for Justice" by Stone Grissom.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Cry for Justice by Stone Grissom is one great thrill ride! It is a true page-turner that keeps you guessing until the very end.

The book centers on Gavin Brady, a newly minted civil attorney. Gavin takes a job at a high powered law firm in the Pacific Northwest, and is immediately thrown into a difficult case. Gavin is tasked with finding a way to get a payday for the Harrington family (and the law firm). Sara Harrington, a sweet and talented teenager, had been senselessly murdered two years ago. The trial against her killers had torn the local community apart. Despite locating the killer, having a confession, and obtaining testimony from multiple witnesses, the killer was acquitted in criminal court. Gavin decides to find justice for the Harrington’s in the civil court.

As soon as he begins with the case, Gavin realizes that he is in way over his head. At first, he is only intimidated by the legal aspects of the case. As he starts to dig deeper, Gavin discovers that cover ups and lies are coming from every direction. Gavin soon finds himself in real danger as he works to uncover the truth about Sara’s murder. Despite these threats, Gavin refuses to back down until he can achieve the justice he promised Sara’s parents.

It’s clear from the beginning that Grissom has an intricate understanding of the legal field. The book provides an in-depth look at both civil law firms and the prosecutor’s office. The author clearly did his homework to create such realistic portrayals. He accurately captured the politics, priorities, and relationships in these offices. Grissom also had a very strong grasp on the actual laws that were applicable to the case. He did an excellent job of explaining the technical aspects of the law without overwhelming the reader with jargon.

This story was a great example of small town politics and its impact on the everyday residents. Small amounts of power within a community can quickly lead to full blown corruption. This book incorporated a good variety of characters. Gavin was the main narrator, but many other characters were also highlighted. This provided a balanced perspective of the situation. The book also gave some very interesting information about Samoan culture. I was impressed by the level of research provided about Samoan-Americans.

One thing about A Cry for Justice that bothered me is that many of the secondary characters weren’t fully developed. For example, Gavin’s wife was not given any sort of personality. She existed only to be a sounding board for Gavin. In addition, there was a love triangle situation that fizzled out without ever being fully addressed. The author built it up like it was going to be a significant issue, but it never developed. It seemed like a waste. It felt as though a lot of the book was written as if it is going to be part of a series. I’m not sure if that’s what Grissom has in mind. If so, then maybe the love triangle will be addressed more in future books. I also was a little frustrated by the author’s frequent summarizing of the plot points. I think Grissom underestimated his readers. I didn’t need constant reminders of prior events while I was reading. I found these frequent and unnecessary summaries to be distracting.

Overall, this was fun thriller with a satisfying ending. This book didn’t have any shocking twists, and the big reveal at the end was exactly what I had guessed. However, it was still very entertaining to read. I would recommend A Cry for Justice to anyone who enjoys legal thrillers and mysteries. There were a few minor editing errors throughout the book, but nothing significant. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I really enjoyed reading this book, even though there were a few components that could use improvement.

A Cry for Justice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like RebeccasReading's review? Post a comment saying so!
Dabuddhababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dabuddhababe.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Dabuddhababe »

I'm not a big fan of, knowing what's going to happen before it happens. Also the repetitiveness, that was noted in the review, would drive me crazy. I dont see myself picking this one up, but the review was nicely writen.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

Wow! Thank you for the review, it's pretty enlightening. I am always up for detective work, crime solving with its share of adventure in-between. Sounds like something I would enjoy.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This sounds like just the kind of legal thriller I would love to read except for the plot summarizations and lack of development in the supporting characters. I think I'll pass, but I appreciate your excellent review!
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

There is hardly any book which doesn't need improvement, this is an awesome review ma'am...

I think the book makes a great story!!
Ranqin1
Favorite Book: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Ranqin1 »

I appreciate the candid review. As I don't like books filled with graphic language and sexual content; I will probably not like the novel myself. I believe your review is very well written and shows both the good and not so desireable aspects of the book. It does make one curious about the character enough to take a quick flip through of a few pages just to see if it still may be interesting enough to bypass the crudeness. Thank you for reviewing this book.
osayuwamen6
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osayuwamen6.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by osayuwamen6 »

This book is about Garvin Brady and some other characters, Garvin who works with a law firm at a local community, he learned about the gruesome murder of Sarah a girl who lived in the community. Garvin was interested in Sarah's murder case which was accompanied by series of threats but despite all the threats that he received, he refused to back down. There so much to learn from this book. Thanks for a bright review!
9and7io
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by 9and7io »

When her son is falsely accused of murder, Jackie fights against the odds to free him. While he languishes in prison while the prosecution seeks a life sentence, their lives are sent on differing paths of wavering faith and tentative hope. Drama, based on a true story.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

It is possible that Author Grission is an attorney because of his vast knowledge of the law. I would enjoy reading this suspense-filled detective story. Thank you for your great review.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

Interesting plot. I always feel in stories where a killer is caught, there is a confession and witness who have come forward, but the killer still walks free, there's usually something deeper that can only be revealed by finishing the story. Nice review
RebeccasReading

Faithmwangi wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 11:27 Wow! Thank you for the review, it's pretty enlightening. I am always up for detective work, crime solving with its share of adventure in-between. Sounds like something I would enjoy.
I hope you enjoy it! Thanks for reading and commenting!
RebeccasReading

Ranqin1 wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 14:40 I appreciate the candid review. As I don't like books filled with graphic language and sexual content; I will probably not like the novel myself. I believe your review is very well written and shows both the good and not so desireable aspects of the book. It does make one curious about the character enough to take a quick flip through of a few pages just to see if it still may be interesting enough to bypass the crudeness. Thank you for reviewing this book.

There is very little graphic language or sexual content in this book. You definitely don't need to worry about crudeness! I'd categorize this as a "PG-13" book---some adult themes are discussed but not in graphic details.
RebeccasReading

crediblereading2 wrote: 07 Jul 2018, 10:34 It is possible that Author Grission is an attorney because of his vast knowledge of the law. I would enjoy reading this suspense-filled detective story. Thank you for your great review.
I saw on his author profile that he's actually a journalist. Perhaps legal stories are his area of expertise? Either that, or he did thorough research for this book!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”