Official Review: The Puckerdilly Kiss by Teressa Woodard

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Official Review: The Puckerdilly Kiss by Teressa Woodard

Post by Dolor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Puckerdilly Kiss" by Teressa Woodard.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"We all must choose to face our Goliaths rather than shrink and tremble in fear at the size of a giant."

Rex Ledford lived a life full of hardship and poverty. His family resided in a rented slab shack built under the transmission lines that fed power to the city of Cramerton, but their house had no electricity, no running water, and no window. The only certain in his life was that his dad, Paul Ledford, would be drunk during the weekends. His dad's alcohol addiction and drunken rages made their lives miserable. The only person who provided them a sense of stability in such an unstable environment was his mom, Lucy Hooper. Things changed when his drunk dad smashed a heavy, thick, clear glass, peanut butter mug on her head. Years after Rex Ledford learned about the mustard seed faith, a little puckerdilly kiss was planted right on his lips.

The Puckerdilly Kiss is a full retrospect of Rex Ledford's day-to-day struggle for survival from a dysfunctional family, abusive and alcoholic father, extreme poverty, his own daredevil antics and meritorious saga, his amazing 62-year long love story with Marie Cherry, and their extended families. I enjoyed flipping on the pages for the preserved photos with names carefully peppered in between the contents. It's a labor of love that would constantly remind them of Rex and Marie Cherry Ledford, their extended families, and their children's younger years. All characters are likable other than Paul who experienced redemption shortly before he died.

I have not immersed myself in reading any memoir other than this book. The writing style and the narrations left me engrossed like an open-mouthed little child making videos of the story on the mind while listening to a proficient storyteller. The story still lingers on my mind long after reading it. If filmed, this could produce a thriller action movie full of twists with romance, faith, and familial touches.

This nonfiction book is narrated from the first-person point of view of Rex Ledford. Only the epilogue is in Teressa Ledford Woodward's perspective. I admire her for capturing her dad's voice and the essence of his style in an excellent art of ventriloquism. I laugh, cry, and hold my breath on her father's stunts while reading the story. Rex Ledford's childhood life made me cry. It reminded me of my own which was pestered with misery brought by poverty, and abusive and alcoholic father.

All audiences would love this collection of true, yet unbelievable stories from the lives of Rex and Marie Cherry Ledford, their extended families, and their children. I recommend this book to all audiences above 18 years old because the daredevil antics Rex Ledford tried as a kid might be followed by the young audiences that might create catastrophic consequences. Aside from that, subjects about abuse and alcohol are not suitable for very young audiences.

I rate The Puckerdilly Kiss by Teressa Ledford Woodward 3 out of 4 stars. Despite the few errors I have noticed while reading this book, I'm confident enough to say that everyone will like and enjoy reading it. Those who are not into memoir would surely exclude this book. There are a lot of quotes I like in it. I admire Rex Ledford when he declined his dad's invitation to drink saying, “I won’t have that stuff around my children. It has ruined your family; it won’t ruin mine."

The Puckerdilly Kiss
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Dolor's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sharon serena
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-serena.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sharon serena »

Love the title of the book. It sounds pretty interesting to me and I totally love how Rex Ledford stands up for his family. This book is definitely a good read for me. Nice work!
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This sounds like a redemptive memoir that I would truly enjoy reading. Despite the many hardships Rex faced, the description of his relationship with his wife is quite lovely. I can see how you were immersed in his journey. Thank you for the recommendation!
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I loved the last quote you listed. I am not a fan of memoirs but this one sounds like a good read. Thanks for the review.
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

Sharon serena wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 00:32 Love the title of the book. It sounds pretty interesting to me and I totally love how Rex Ledford stands up for his family. This book is definitely a good read for me. Nice work!
Thanks for the kind words and for the compliment.
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

Cecilia_L wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 14:57 This sounds like a redemptive memoir that I would truly enjoy reading. Despite the many hardships Rex faced, the description of his relationship with his wife is quite lovely. I can see how you were immersed in his journey. Thank you for the recommendation!
It's my pleasure.
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

melissy370 wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 15:18 I loved the last quote you listed. I am not a fan of memoirs but this one sounds like a good read. Thanks for the review.
You'll definitely love this book my dear. Trust me.
meadhbh
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadhbh.html
Latest Review: The Last Rite by Chad Morgan

Post by meadhbh »

This sounds like a really powerful story, especially telling the story of her own father. I recently dipped my toe into my first memoir, so this sounds like it might be a good follow-on from that.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

The relationship between me and memoirs is still a bit shaky, I don't have much experience with them. Your review has however captured my attention and I just might give this one a try. Thanks for the awesome review.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This seems like a great book, especially when it also seems like an inspiring read. Thanks for the review!
Lu_rire
Currently Reading: The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lu-rire.html
Latest Review: Driven by Max Barnet/Hugh Aaron

Post by Lu_rire »

I don't like memoirs but your review makes this one sound awesome. So much that I am tempted to read it and experience something different.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Wow- what a powerful and relevant story. I can imagine how emotional it was for you having shared similar experiences.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”