Review by tanyas33 -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
tanyas33
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanyas33.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Review by tanyas33 -- Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by tanyas33 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toni the Superhero is a children’s book written by R.D Base and illustrated by Debbie Hefke. It is targeted towards children who are just learning how to read, specifically targeting the age range of children aged 0 to 4 years old.

The book tells the story of Toni, a little boy who is a superhero, and the things he likes to do during his day. These things consist of reading, rescuing animals, drawing, playing, jumping, running, and swimming with his friends, dancing, singing, helping, sweeping, dusting, eating, and sleeping. All of Toni’s actions are depicted in simple sentences and are additionally clearly illustrated.

I think that the repetitive style used in this book really helps kids remember the words and letters they're reading and leads children to become familiar with sounding them out, ultimately helping them build their confidence in reading. I also think that illustrating each action helps the child identify the items being mentioned and helps the child learn the names of the items as well. Some children are visual learners, so having an image summing up the sentence will help them understand what they’re reading. I also think that the simplicity of the sentences are perfect for the targeted age range of the book, which are children aged 0 to 4 years old, as the simplicity will get kids familiar with what they’re reading and will build their comprehension and understanding of the material.

What I really loved about this book was that it was full of diverse kids! Toni was a child of colour and his friends were also of all different backgrounds. This representation, especially in a kid’s book, is absolutely wonderful as children feel good when reading about another child they can relate to or are similar to. Every child deserves to see themselves in their heroes or in their favourite characters, which is why representation, especially geared towards children of colour, is so important in children’s books.

This book also builds good morals and values within kids as Toni’s depicted actions are all very helpful and nice, so the children reading the book are taught good behaviours, morals, and manners. Children can both read about these positive attributes, or see these positive attributes through the beautiful illustrations in the book.

With all of this considered, I rate Toni the Superhero a 4 out of 4 stars. I didn’t find any grammar errors or spelling errors in the book, which leads me to believe that the book has been professionally edited. I believe that the simple sentences and beautiful illustrations are very helpful in teaching children how to read, and the messages and morals the book helps in teaching children is also very wonderful!

Toni the Superhero
View: on Bookshelves

Like tanyas33's review? Post a comment saying so!
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I think there are lots of items children can name as they go along. Especially the page where Toni is eating his fruits and vegetables! This is a great children's book with subtle lessons throughout. With every review I read, I see more minor things reviewers picked up on like "super crayons." :)
Gaolatlhe Mavis Mbulawa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Gaolatlhe Mavis Mbulawa »

The book is very good for kids as it helps them be engaged, improves breakthrpugh skills as it have a lot for kids to learn as they read drawings coloring plays are the best assential skills for kids.
Morals good manners is what the kids our generation lack so this book is one of the few that hold old good morals.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”