Does it matter that little Tony is black?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2018 Book of the Month "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Does it matter that little Tony is black?

Post by Cristina Chifane »

MsTri wrote: 03 Jul 2018, 09:35 @cristinaro, Thanks for the comment and recommendation of that book; I hadn't heard of Black Skins, White Masks.

As for my terminology, my other half has a real aversion to "black", so I've gotten in the habit of using other words due to him, but I have no personal feelings about any of the descriptors, myself.
Thanks for your answer. Perhaps I should also have an aversion to "white", considering all the things white people did throughout history. I can thus understand an aversion to "black". It really helps me to see so many different answers; it makes me see things from multiple perspectives.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

cristinaro wrote: 03 Jul 2018, 09:52
MsTri wrote: 03 Jul 2018, 09:35 @cristinaro, Thanks for the comment and recommendation of that book; I hadn't heard of Black Skins, White Masks.

As for my terminology, my other half has a real aversion to "black", so I've gotten in the habit of using other words due to him, but I have no personal feelings about any of the descriptors, myself.
Thanks for your answer. Perhaps I should also have an aversion to "white", considering all the things white people did throughout history. I can thus understand an aversion to "black". It really helps me to see so many different answers; it makes me see things from multiple perspectives.
I find it interesting that his aversion is to the word black. I have a friend who does not like to be referred to as "African-American" because she is not from Africa. I get where she is coming from because I don't really feel like European-American is a good descriptor for me. Sure that's where my ancestors came from, but none of them were alive at any point in my life so it's hard to relate to that heritage.

I'm not averse to any term just because other people who have don't abhorrent things can also fit the same descriptor. There are lots of women who have done deplorable things, but I'm not disowning the classification of female.

Each person is unique and many people, good and bad, fit into the various categories we can use to classify people. Maybe we should just say "people" and not even go any further than that. There was a point in history in the US where women were fighting for their rights as much as colored people were fighting for theirs.

Ok, I"m ending my soapbox rant. This question just bothers me because I never even noticed that Toni is a colored child. I wouldn't want my kids to notice either. I would just want them to see him as another kid.
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

kfwilson6 wrote: 03 Jul 2018, 13:16
cristinaro wrote: 03 Jul 2018, 09:52

I find it interesting that his aversion is to the word black. I have a friend who does not like to be referred to as "African-American" because she is not from Africa. I get where she is coming from because I don't really feel like European-American is a good descriptor for me. Sure that's where my ancestors came from, but none of them were alive at any point in my life so it's hard to relate to that heritage.
His aversion to "black" is two-fold. One, many of us are more a shade of brown or tan or, as in my case, peach, than actually black, like most (?) Caucasians are closer to peach-colored than actually "white". Second, "black" is often used to denote bad things, like the bad guys in westerns always wear black, and it's the color used in phrases like "black sheep" and "black market", among others.

I am somewhat like your friend; while I won't go so far as to say that I "hate" it, "African-American" is my least favorite of the terms, for the same reason...I guess I do prefer "person of color" since the spectrum runs wide and not everyone is brown or tan or even peach. I also use "melanated" a lot, though I don't think I went quite that far in my review.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I never once thought about race when reading this book and honestly don't think it pertains to it. This is just an introduction to Toni doing normal things that kids do. Later on in the series he will do superhero things.
Charlaigne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlaigne.html
Latest Review: Reaching the Shore by Davin Jake Douma and BonnieJane Hall

Post by Charlaigne »

Bianka Walter wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 10:30 The fact that Toni is black didn't even register on my radar until this thread. So I obviously felt none of the above.
And I don't think it will for kids either. They just see another kid, it's us adults that notice the colour :)
Very true, I think adults notice this and kids do not.
Charlaigne
Currently Reading:

Post by Charlaigne »

chelhack wrote: 03 Jul 2018, 02:45 I'm bit sure that it so much matters that he is black but it is a nice change to see a superhero of color.
I agree with this. I thought it was a positive change. I really liked it.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

bookowlie wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 08:16 Christinaro - Interesting question! I didn't view it as black kids can only do ordinary things while the superpowers belong to the white kids. For me, the story showed that important people (superheroes) still do ordinary activities and chores like everyone else.
This is the best view. I also believe that this could be the author's intent. Kids may not have a lot of big things they can do so as to appear great and be superheroes. I think being encouraged to do this small chores is a way of encouraging them to do small things as they also do count.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I guess that the main intention of the author was not solely the ability of who becomes the superhero between the races but rather that everyone can by doing everyday things. What Toni does is what many kids may not be doing nowadays since we have house-helps in most of the families. It is said that to be great you must not do great things, but small things with love. Which is what Toni is demonstrating.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Charlaigne
Currently Reading:

Post by Charlaigne »

Kibetious wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 03:30 It is said that to be great you must not do great things, but small things with love. Which is what Toni is demonstrating.
A lovely quote! I like that our superhero is happy to do his various chores and be helpful.
Ilesanmi1010
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ilesanmi1010 »

I believe that Tony can be a superhero even though he his black, it is not be about the completion maybe black or white. It is about personal believe and determination.
nguchara

Post by nguchara »

How about mixing the roles of little black kid to make it more interesting because with ordinary issues the book will not be interesting
readandsmile
Currently Reading: Boom! A Revolting Situation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandsmile.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by readandsmile »

bookowlie wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 08:16 Christinaro - Interesting question! I didn't view it as black kids can only do ordinary things while the superpowers belong to the white kids. For me, the story showed that important people (superheroes) still do ordinary activities and chores like everyone else.
I Agree with you, too. I also noticed Toni's race, but I just ignored it.
Reading is an antidote for...
Anger
Burdens
Discouragement
Fears
Hopelessness
Loneliness
Sadness
Tiredness
Nivedha H

Post by Nivedha H »

Children are children. Color is their nature. They are not choosing their color. Most adults see these color.
Carly-maricque
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 293
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carly-maricque.html
Latest Review: If life stinks get your head outta your buts by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Carly-maricque »

cristinaro wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 05:33 Tony is a jovial little black kid always with a broad smile on his face. He is engaged in the typical activities of a kid his age.

Is he meant to defy the superhero stereotype especially since he does not seem to be doing anything extraordinary?
Did you feel the book undermines the myth of the white superhero and carries a message of inter-racial tolerance?

My fear is the message could be exactly the opposite. Little black kids can only do ordinary things like helping their mother, sweeping the floor or dusting the furniture. The superpowers still belong to the little white kids. I am wondering if Tony will actually have some superpowers in the next books of the series. What do you think?
Until this post, the race never even crossed my mind, nor do I think it crosses young children's minds. I don't think Toni doing ordinary things meant to show him as inferior but instead being relatable to young children and showing good values!
hadizasalisu
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadizasalisu.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by hadizasalisu »

To be honest I think so, Toni being black is important because because little children of colour don't have a lot of literature to fall back on, and we all know its easier to see yourself in a superhero if they look like you, but I'm also a bit on the fence that teaching children about colour very young might be bad, what'd you think?

Return to “Discuss "Toni the Superhero" by R.D. Base”